England squad (7 Viewers)

David O'Day

I know it's only been one game, but I was so impressed with Mainoo. He took the whole occasion in his stride and looked a complete natural.

I would have no hesitation in starting him in the Euro's, if he continues that form in the pre tournament friendlies.

View attachment 34787

Obviously praying that Shaw somehow gets fit in time.

I simply would not play Maguire and based on the reports from Italy, I think I would plump for Tomori to fill that slot
yeah but he could be out for the season

Brighton Sky Blue

Yeah, I understand that. I think Southgate may take him, if he can be available for games later on in the tournament. He is so much better than Chilwell.
Tino Livramento’s worth looking at too if Shaw isn’t ready by then.

Evo1883

Also , I know bellingham plays 10 at Madrid, but with our options he's also good as an 8 ..we don't need to pigeon hole bellingham at 10

SBT

Mine is the same as McNulty’s. Trippier at LB if Shaw can’t go. Don’t feel great about Maguire, but don’t see any other options that don’t scream ‘Mystery Box’.

David O'Day

Mine is the same as McNulty’s. Trippier at LB if Shaw can’t go. Don’t feel great about Maguire, but don’t see any other options that don’t scream ‘Mystery Box’.
no, when he plays left back he stops and checks back on to his righty foot far too much and slows play down.

chilwell isn't great but you want a left footer at lb

Otis

no, when he plays left back he stops and checks back on to his righty foot far too much and slows play down.

I agree. Trippier's play is too telegraphed when he's at left back. You know exactly what he is going to do every time.

SBT

Chilwell hasn’t exactly filled me with confidence lately. Trippier’s set pieces are also a big asset. Hope it’s a moot discussion anyway.

David O'Day

Chilwell hasn’t exactly filled me with confidence lately. Trippier’s set pieces are also a big asset. Hope it’s a moot discussion anyway.
we don't need his set pieces so much that they would make up for him continuingly stopping and playing the ball back to a cb or a cdm.

when he does cross from the left the delay caused by him checking back on his right gives the defence extra time to get back in position

Reactions: SBT

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I know it's only been one game, but I was so impressed with Mainoo. He took the whole occasion in his stride and looked a complete natural.

I would have no hesitation in starting him in the Euro's, if he continues that form in the pre tournament friendlies.

View attachment 34787

Obviously praying that Shaw somehow gets fit in time.

I simply would not play Maguire and based on the reports from Italy, I think I would plump for Tomori to fill that slot
That's what I'm going with at the moment.

The alternative is drop Bellingham back into an 8 ahead of Mainoo and play Maddison in the 10

SBT

That's what I'm going with at the moment.

The alternative is drop Bellingham back into an 8 ahead of Mainoo and play Maddison in the 10
Love Maddison but playing Bellingham out of his best position to accommodate him would be crazy.

Also, there’s no way I’d pick Mainoo ahead of Rice.

CCFCSteve

Might be a bit early to say but mcnultys team is most likely, unless Southgate bottles it and plays hendo ahead of Mainoo. I’d be happy with that unless a CB can come from somewhere

Southgate isn’t going to be bolder than that and nor should he need to be. Plenty of ability in that midfield and attack to unsettle any opposition

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Love Maddison but playing Bellingham out of his best position to accommodate him would be crazy.

Also, there’s no way I’d pick Mainoo ahead of Rice.
I wasn't clear.

I overall agreed I'd play Bellingham more advanced with Rice and Mainoo deeper, leaving Maddison on the bench

I also meant that if I were to pick maddison I'd drop Mainoo for him and have a middle three of Rice-Maddison-Bellingham

Otis

Rice is one of the first names on the team sheet these days isn't. Been so impressed with him for England.

It has to be Bellingham and Rice, whatever. Others to fit in around those two

Reactions: SBT

Mucca Mad Boys

Also , I know bellingham plays 10 at Madrid, but with our options he's also good as an 8 ..we don't need to pigeon hole bellingham at 10
Behind Kane, he’s an our best player and I’m not sure why people would want him playing as an ‘8’ with more defensive capabilities. He’s better than Madison, Foden, Palmer and anyone else who’d play AM for England.

Our defence is a weak point so as much criticism as Southgate gets for his insistence on playing the double pivot, it’s the right choice for this team.

Foden is exceptional for Man City but calls for him to play centrally are wrong. He’s not impressed there for England yet. If Rashford finds good form at Man U, he gets the LW berth ahead of Foden. Despite this, I do think Foden is a better player than Rashford overall - we need more goals in our team outside Kane, Bellingham and Saka.

David O'Day

Madness! Foden has been one of the best players in the country all year, 10 good games from Rashford at the end of a poor season for him shouldn’t dislodge him from the side. Foden simply has to start.
I can see the argument for an on form Rashford. Kane will drop deep and Rashford has the pace to replicate the job that Son use along side him for Spurs.

Madness is thinking Henderson should be in over Mainoo.

Mucca Mad Boys

Madness! Foden has been one of the best players in the country all year, 10 good games from Rashford at the end of a poor season for him shouldn’t dislodge him from the side. Foden simply has to start.
Agreed, I love Foden as a player but he hasn’t translated that form into an England shirt yet.

If Foden brings his Man City form into an England shirt, it’s no competition.

Mucca Mad Boys

Might be a bit early to say but mcnultys team is most likely, unless Southgate bottles it and plays hendo ahead of Mainoo. I’d be happy with that unless a CB can come from somewhere

Southgate isn’t going to be bolder than that and nor should he need to be. Plenty of ability in that midfield and attack to unsettle any opposition
Mainoo is a talent and is certainly the future in that CM role. He’s played 20 professional games and it’s a risk to rely on him. Henderson offers value as a 3rd or 4th choice CM because of his experience and leadership qualities. Look at our experience with Kelly, he’s a valuable squad player even if his game time is limited.

Rice and Bellingham had to start somewhere though and Mainoo deserves a chance.

SBT

Mainoo is a talent and is certainly the future in that CM role. He’s played 20 professional games and it’s a risk to rely on him. Henderson offers value as a 3rd or 4th choice CM because of his experience and leadership qualities. Look at our experience with Kelly, he’s a valuable squad player even if his game time is limited.

Rice and Bellingham had to start somewhere though and Mainoo deserves a chance.
Madness is thinking Henderson should be in over Mainoo.
Henderson absolutely should be in the squad for the reasons listed above. I didn’t know whether Mainoo would be up to it, but credit to the lad, he’s shown he absolutely deserves to be there too.

Mucca Mad Boys

He played very well on Tuesday.

It was better, but taking out Kane, Saka and Bellingham and we really do goals in the team. I want to see Foden score more for England because he’s a fine player, I just think Rashford is potentially better fit if he’s on form.

Otis

Surprised Maddison only got 16 minutes across the 2 games. Both games were crying out for his creativity. I get the feeling he’ll miss out on the squad if Grealish is fit (unless the squad size is increased to 26).
Doesn't it have to be 23 for the tournament? Or have I got that wrong?

Otis

Doesn't it have to be 23 for the tournament? Or have I got that wrong?
Yeah, just checked. It has to be cut to 23, which worries me a little, because isn't GS more likely to go with the experience of Henderson rather than the likes of Mainoo?

More of a gamble to include wild cards and those of lesser experience.

Not going to be many spare places to fill is there, because all the regulars will surely be there.

David O'Day

Henderson absolutely should be in the squad for the reasons listed above. I didn’t know whether Mainoo would be up to it, but credit to the lad, he’s shown he absolutely deserves to be there too.
It's madness to want to include someone is failing already at Ajax and now lacks anything that made him a serviceable player back in the day.

If he isn't a goof enough footballer then he has no right being in any squad.

Otis

There’s a meeting next month where the managers will request squads get increased to 26 (from what I read this morning) due to injuries, no of games. No guarantee that they’ll get their way though.
Be good if that is agreed upon.

23 is quite a small squad size I feel.

I know we always do it, and I guess other countries too, but I wish we wouldn't take 3 keepers to every tournament.

I wonder how often anyone has ever had to use 3 keepers?

2 should be sufficient. 3 out of 23 sounds a bit bonkers to me.

SBT

It's madness to want to include someone is failing already at Ajax and now lacks anything that made him a serviceable player back in the day.

If he isn't a goof enough footballer then he has no right being in any squad.
By what metric is he failing at Ajax?

SBAndy

Be good if that is agreed upon.

23 is quite a small squad size I feel.

I know we always do it, and I guess other countries too, but I wish we wouldn't take 3 keepers to every tournament.

I wonder how often anyone has ever had to use 3 keepers?

2 should be sufficient. 3 out of 23 sounds a bit bonkers to me.

Stipulated in the squad rules - has to be 3 keepers. It’s daft to be honest, and they should scrap it. There’s your squad size, fill it as you wish. If that means an outfield player ends up in goal v France then even better.

Otis

Stipulated in the squad rules - has to be 3 keepers. It’s daft to be honest, and they should scrap it. There’s your squad size, fill it as you wish. If that means an outfield player ends up in goal v France then even better.
Definitely.

Didn't know it was a laid down rule. Sounds bonkers doesn't it.

23 players. Pick who you want.

Users who are viewing this thread