England squad (1 Viewer)

Grendel

To be honest I didn’t pay any attention to the women’s games but I certainly wasn’t aware of flags being flown in 2022 the way they were for Euros or World cups 10-20 years ago. In fact the flags seem to have largely disappeared for the last few mens tournaments.
Anyway, putting that aside, you misunderstand what I said. I didn’t say that every flag waver had right wing tendencies, clearly that is not the case, but unfortunately the main association I make when I see the England or union flag is of their misappropriation by the toxic right.

@SBT will claim you are a Bot or a hermit that never leaves the house

Evo1883

Leafy Bucks, the clue is in the name. About as blue wall as you could get.

Certainly by me the population has changed and so has the amount of England flags on display with it ..

I've always found that in more affluent areas, people are less likely to hang the St George Cross out anyway , but seem happy to hang the union flag for example , usually as bunting to go with their poxy little street party 😂

Brighton Sky Blue

Certainly by me the population has changed and so has the amount of England flags on display with it ..

I've always found that in more affluent areas, people are less likely to hang the St George Cross out anyway , but seem happy to hang the union flag for example , usually as bunting to go with their poxy little street party 😂
Thought it interesting in Cardiff they had lots of Welsh flags flying alongside Union Jacks. Don’t tend to see home nation and union flags doing that in other parts

SBbucks

I've always found that in more affluent areas, people are less likely to hang the St George Cross out anyway , but seem happy to hang the union flag for example , usually as bunting to go with their poxy little street party

No population change here . I know Bucks overall has a slight increase of ethnic mix due to the influence of Wycombe & Slough (by about 3% I think between the last 2 censuses).
But in this area (more affluent than average I guess) I remember the 2002, 2006, 2010, 2014 world cups, there were England flags everywhere. There were some for Euro 2016 but perhaps that’s where the disillusion set in.
Interestingly I expected bunting galore for the coronation but absolutely nothing apart from a bit on a bungalow estate (with average age 80+)And frankly I’m very happy with that.

hamertime

Another pitiful loss for Southgate who consistently manages to nullify our most creative players against any half-decent side.
The difference between Brazil and England is Brazil are natural born winners.

They knew we had a better team than them so they cheated, dived, fouled did what ever they could to win the game. Even though it was a friendly they were not taking vinicious off for shit. Our gutless manager decides to take Bellingham off as hes a coward and a natural born looser.

The diffedrence is Brazil always want to win no matter what, southagte thinks he being clever trying new things but all he does is put negativity in the the team and nation. Dunk & Gallacher will never be international quality players. We wont win a thing under that spineless looser.

Mucca Mad Boys

The difference between Brazil and England is Brazil are natural born winners.

They knew we had a better team than them so they cheated, dived, fouled did what ever they could to win the game. Even though it was a friendly they were not taking vinicious off for shit. Our gutless manager decides to take Bellingham off as hes a coward and a natural born looser.

The diffedrence is Brazil always want to win no matter what, southagte thinks he being clever trying new things but all he does is put negativity in the the team and nation. Dunk & Gallacher will never be international quality players. We wont win a thing under that spineless looser.
Are they? This last generation or two since their last win 2002 have been to as many semi finals as we have. It’s worth noting they were bested by Croatia - the same team Southgate was berated for losing to. Brazil’s 2022 were better than our 2018 squad and Croatia were worse in 2022 than in 2018.

We’ve got a good team, but we don’t have the same depth as other teams in CM and defence.

mark82

When was the last time we had a St. George's cross (in it's pure form) on an England shirt?

Is 1998 the only time (on the outside, not inside the collar (2002-2004))?

Last edited:

Otis

When was the last time we had a St. George's cross (in it's pure form) on an England shirt?
I was just going to say, if people have concluded that the St George's flag has been stolen from us, we should go with the new Nike one.

That would be our own unique one again then. 👍

mark82

There have been numerous adaptations/interpretations of the flag on the shirt, but the 1998 one is the only one I can see in pure form. Not sure why this is only an issue now, and not previously? I'm genuinely confused.

wingy

There have been numerous adaptations/interpretations of the flag on the shirt, but the 1998 one is the only one I can see in pure form. Not sure why this is only an issue now, and not previously? I'm genuinely confused.
National debate about going off to teach Johnny foreigner a few home truths!!

hamertime

Has there, when?

mark82

Has there, when?
2016 & 2018 Away - red on red (to be fair, not too out there)
2012 GK - red on red & blue on blue
2011 Home - flags in 4 different colours (purple, blue, green & red)
2011 GK - Green/white on green
2011 Away - Blue cross on blue collar
2006 - elongated red cross on white home and blue GK (again, not too out there)
2004 Away - this was red on white but elongated.
1998 Away - red on red

No flag on any kit prior to 1998 as far as I'm aware.

Not commenting on how tasteful some of the above versions are, but just examples of non-standard flags. I guess the 2011 home is probably closest to the example from this year (and, actually, probably less well designed than this year).

If you take away the emotion from this year (which I get that you can't), the actual design is quite nice IMO. Better than some of the others. 🤣

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

1998 Away - red on red

Not commenting on how tasteful some of the above versions are, but just examples of non-standard flags. I guess the 2011 home is probably closest to the example from this year (and, actually, probably less well designed than this year).

If you take away the emotion from this year (which I get that you can't), the actual design is quite nice IMO. Better than some of the others. 🤣

You are absolutely right, but like I said in an earlier post, the landscape of the country is shaping a lot of the increasing defensiveness we are seeing. Some justified, some not.

hamertime

1998 Away - red on red

Completely different, this flag has undertones of a nod to a rainbow flag with multicoloured parts on the cross itself. It’s a disgrace and anyone who thinks it’s not has lost touch of who they are and what the flag means. That’s why this country is doomed because everyone is being made to believe there is something wrong with it and it needs to change.

hamertime

“The sportswear giant said the new collar motif is a playful update to the flag of St. George appears on the collar to unite and inspire”

To unite lol

Sky Blue Pete

I had to look at the poem Jerusalem at A level - William Blake was an interesting character.

He would turn in his grave. He was anti establishment, anti religion and anti monarchy.

The poem is considered by some to be an uprising of the under privileged against the owners of the factories in the industrial revolution.
Great context

hamertime

I had to look at the poem Jerusalem at A level - William Blake was an interesting character.

He would turn in his grave. He was anti establishment, anti religion and anti monarchy.

The poem is considered by some to be an uprising of the under privileged against the owners of the factories in the industrial revolution.
I wish I got an education stuff like this is interesting. Was too busy trying to finger birds and smash windows.

Tommo1993

Might even watch the Wales game instead. At least there’s something at stake in that game. Not sure I can do another Southgate friendly.

Otis

We get it. You all hate Southgate.

He ain’t going anywhere until after the euros though so can we just please support the team until then.
I most certainly don't hate him. Do think he's not good enough though and do find him frustrating, especially when we have so many flair players at our disposal.

Would love for him to prove me wrong, but I am not holding my breath.

Liquid Gold

I most certainly don't hate him. Do think he's not good enough though and do find him frustrating, especially when we have so many flair players at our disposal.

Would love for him to prove me wrong, but I am not holding my breath.
Same. Think he should have gone after the World Cup but he didn’t.

He’s now taking us to the euros and we need to support not create noise about management.

Otis

I know it's only been one game, but I was so impressed with Mainoo. He took the whole occasion in his stride and looked a complete natural.

I would have no hesitation in starting him in the Euro's, if he continues that form in the pre tournament friendlies.

Screenshot_2024-03-27-17-24-19-02_4e3a4e884d35a3e473eec66b07ef8cea.jpg

Obviously praying that Shaw somehow gets fit in time.

I simply would not play Maguire and based on the reports from Italy, I think I would plump for Tomori to fill that slot

Users who are viewing this thread