england seriously wtf?? (1 Viewer)

Brighton Sky Blue

It is nothing to do with being "Not good enough" It comes down to PL English teams:laugh::laugh::laugh: (All top teams owned by foreigners) Wanting success...YESTERDAY!!!..Therefore they BUY success. The knock on effect being young British talent is overlooked for "Already Established" foreign talent...How many British players actually play first team football for the top 6 sides???
Not many!! finally Why should British players play abroad when the "Best stage in the World is right here in Britain" Given the right training, and actually given the CHANCE to play in the first teams, would see British Talent come to the forefront of World football.;););) We beat the best of the World talent in 66, WITHOUT the help of "Joe Foreigner"...We can do it again.:D

I find myself blinded by an endless sea of smilies ;););););) Find myself fighting a losing battle here to be honest!

Brighton Sky Blue

It has nothing to do with goals scored, and everything to do with scoring one then sitting back for 75 minutes. That is negative football, we didn't even want to go for the second or third, even against the minnows of world football we'd do the same, We were so much better then that. I'd quite happily watch us win 1-0 every game going for it and trying to score more, then to just go 1-0 up and defend the rest of the game.

Except that is more or less how Spain play their football regardless of opponent-keeping possession takes priority over bombing forward. They won the World Cup by winning most games by solitary goals; and by playing football not a million miles from what we were trying to do last night.

Otis

Sven annoyed the hell out of me.

We started brightly went ahead in games and looked quite comfortable but then got deeper and deeper as games wore on and let the opposition then dominate us. This meant that we in the end were clinging on to the games and the momentum was very much with the opposing team.

There was many a game when we should have killed the opposition off and merely sat back and passed the initiative over to them. We were dominating teams but then decided to hang on to what we had.

His record is good but to my mind he underachieved with the players he had at his disposal.

Brighton Sky Blue

Sven annoyed the hell out of me.

We started brightly went ahead in games and looked quite comfortable but then got deeper and deeper as games wore on and let the opposition then dominate us. This meant that we in the end were clinging on to the games and the momentum was very much with the opposing team.

There was many a game when we should have killed the opposition off and merely sat back and passed the initiative over to them. We were dominating teams but then decided to hang on to what we had.

His record is good but to my mind he underachieved with the players he had at his disposal.

In all he has more critics than lauders for his 6 years at the helm-in my mind though, he was 2 penalty shoot outs from consecutive semi final finishes; and put alongside his predecessors and successors, that's good. I'd certainly have him over Hoddle, McClaren, or Keegan any day.

Brighton Sky Blue

Euro 96 was probably the last time it was exciting for myself to watch an England team. Manager after manager has underachieved (or should that be players?). I'm getting bored of going round in circles, Agree to disagree...?

Buck probably lies more with players than manager, agree with you on that one.

Otis

The other thing BSB is that we can't play the way Spain play. We are not good at possession football. The likes of Spain can go a goal up and then just keep the ball.

What we did under Sven was to play well, go a goal up and then defend really deeply, but also in doing that only went on to keep just hoofing the ball back to the opposition and doing anything but play possession football.

Sven had some class players playing for him when he was in charge and for that reason I feel he underachieved. Keegan himself admitted he wasn't good enough for international football and McLaren was just a joke. Not so sure on Hoddle. Would have been interested to see what he might have done had he stayed at the helm.

Brighton Sky Blue

Hoddle fell foul of the media as did Sven, McClaren, and Capello-that usually undoes most England managers in the end. Keegan and Venables were quite chummy with the journalists which took a lot of the pressure off; to his credit Keegan recognised his own shortcomings and went early. Sven had good players available, certainly, but so did the others we're comparing him with-and they delivered even less. Anyone else remember the headline:

England
Algeria
Slovenia
Yanks

SkyBlue_Bear83

It's not his record, it's his style of play, he was in charge of the 'Golden generation', likes of Beckham, Scholes, Owen, Ferdinand in their prime with the likes of Gerrard, Cole, Lampard all coming into their prime. His style didn't suit the players and it was boring to watch. His over reliance on Beckham & Owen was embarrassing. That team we had at that time should have done so much more.
Always thought are best chance of a trophy was the euro 2004 tournament, back then Spain were a bunch of underachievers and other nations seemed to be going through a transition. I mean Greece won the tournament ffs and they deserved to it wasn't as if they were lucky every game.
We had Scholes, Campbell, Beckham, Neville and Owen all still fairly young and there prime. We then had Terry, Cole, Lampard, Gerrard we were still only ages 23-25 or so and then we had the new boy on the block in Rooney who had burst onto the scene at 18.

So by FIFA reckoning, there are 24 teams better than them?:eek:
That says to me they are NOT one of the better teams:facepalm:....No mugs, but not one of the better teams.
I would definately class Wales as a better team than rankings suggest, but then isn't it all boiling down to opinion?;)

Agreed mate, the rankings can be questioned.

However, to dismiss Norway is a little naive....not saying that you are, SBK.

Sky Blue Kid

The other thing BSB is that we can't play the way Spain play. We are not good at possession football. The likes of Spain can go a goal up and then just keep the ball.

Otis....This is exactly what I said earlier....Barcelona Club team would have hammered us last night.:eek:

Sky Blue Kid

Your point being? Barcelona are one of the best club sides if not the best club side in current world football. :thinking about::thinking about::thinking about:

Exactly, Club side being the operative word:facepalm: What you're saying is there is no difference between "Club side" and a International team supposedly ranked in the top ten COUNTRIES in the World.

Sky Blue Kid

Logically there should be no comparison at all, but in my opinion England were so poor I said Barcelona CLUB side would have hammered us.;)

Coventry La La La

Exactly, Club side being the operative word:facepalm: What you're saying is there is no difference between "Club side" and a International team supposedly ranked in the top ten COUNTRIES in the World.

I actually think Barcelona could beat a good number of the current top 10 COUNTRIES as you put it.

Sky Blue Kid

I actually think Barcelona could beat a good number of the current top 10 COUNTRIES as you put it.

Your post is respected mate, and I wasn't being disrespectful by capitalizing Countries, just making the point Club sides should not "Live" with a top Country team, but last nights games throws a spanner in the works doesn't it. :thinking about:

Sky Blue Kid

I'd have to agree, The top club team in the world should be able to beat 99% of international teams, there's always positions international sides have trouble filling, for us it's the left wing spot & to an extent the right side as well (no body has made it there own since Beckham). Club sides naturally have a bigger pool to chose from, so tend to have more balanced/better teams/squads.

Sorry mate but your logic, goes against what you write...A club side has to pick a team from a selection of players at the Club.
An International manager has the choice of a Country full of players, but Englands' choices are limited coz there are too many foreigners in British sides not giving British talent a chance, which brings it round full circle to what I said earlier.....:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Marty

Sorry mate but your logic, goes against what you write...A club side has to pick a team from a selection of players at the Club.
An International manager has the choice of a Country full of players, but Englands' choices are limited coz there are too many foreigners in British sides not giving British talent a chance, which brings it round full circle to what I said earlier.....:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Use your head mate, if clubs have a problem position in their team/squad, they are allowed to use to transfer window to sign players to sort that out. International teams don't have the luxury of being able to use players from any nation so tend to have problem positions.

Sky Blue Kid

A few years ago, there was a game of football between a team who were European Champions, multi times League Champions, FA Cup winners, Blah de blah de blah, and a team of ne'er do wells...That team of ne'er do wells, smacked the "Big Boys" arses 2-0...That team was Coventry City FC. playing at the most famous ground in the world..Old Trafford....Truthfully now...How many of you would pick us to beat them again? The moral of the story being, the underdogs do sometimes come out "Top Dogs" but most times don't!

skybluegod

we just beat a team we haven't beat since 1966 good enough for me we didn't have a lot of players today as some were out with injury or resting well done

Users who are viewing this thread