England is fast becoming a shit hole (1 Viewer)

covcity4life

I don't agree with that to be honest, I just think that the cruelty you see stays with you more than the positive stuff.
And on social media you can see 1000s of interactions in a short space of time, much more than you do in normal everyday life. It's still enough to piss you right off though I agree.
People see stuff o line and assume thata life though

Your a leftie woke Karen

Or a right wing nazi

You supported Tottenham since 1956? Bottler mate!!!!

I think users put people in boxes and life their life that way

Dangerous

wingy

Social media for me, creates more anger, fear and hatred than we are lead to believe... It's one of the reasons I came off it mostly as I felt myself becoming increasingly agitated by things I was reading and watching
Absolutely.

rob9872

Not sure about this place any more. Already 2 pages in and Ian hasn't been on yet to blame for the Tories.

stay_up_skyblues

Social media for me, creates more anger, fear and hatred than we are lead to believe... It's one of the reasons I came off it mostly as I felt myself becoming increasingly agitated by things I was reading and watching

It’s difficult to describe the weight off my shoulders (that I didn’t even realise was there) since I binned Facebook off a couple of months ago. I always said I used it only to keep up with family but in fact many an hour/evening was wasted reading and commenting on things that were far from family/local matters.

Evo1883

I could - but then you’d blindly defend it so we’d cancel each other out.

At least no-one has blamed it on the foreigners yet.
Where I live the scruffy wankers are all English I can assure you

wingy

This place was like the last bastion of escape

But in it's flooded Trump and this stuff .

shmmeee

Where I live the scruffy wankers are all English I can assure you

We’ve got a real problem with parenting of British kids. Politicians too scared to blame parents and make out it’s all down to schools, police and hippity hop music.

Start fining parents for their kids anti-social behaviour, I always said when I taught that I’d give schools more power to expel kids and after three expulsions I’d send the kid to boot camp away from all influences. Somewhere with different rules and specially selected and trained staff that can give some discipline and guidance. Maybe just half a term at first but if they fuck up then full time, even boarding.

Bonus is those left in schools wouldn’t be disturbed by the same five kids in each year Fucking things up constantly and can actually learn.

Kids have no fear of anything any more. It’s all “my rights” and never “your responsibilities”. They know ultimately nothing can happen to them.

shmmeee

I used to serve and whenever people said this to me (quite often) about national service I'd say, why should the military have to deal with them? It would hinder the quality of the forces

It would need to be modelled on the forces and perhaps provide a route, just because that approach seems to work. But national service in itself isn’t the answer.

fernandopartridge

I used to serve and whenever people said this to me (quite often) about national service I'd say, why should the military have to deal with them? It would hinder the quality of the forces
Absolutely. If somebody doesn't like authority just creating another form of it won't help, and like you say just causes hassle for somebody else

Kieranp96

Why is it happening?

Couple 0f people chasing each other with axes and knives in tile hill yesterday and the area that I live in got me thinking
Rubbish everywhere, nobody appears to give 2 shits anymore about the state of their property especially from the outside...

Poorly behaved children

Drugs, guns, knives

There's obviously a multitude of reasons socially and economically but I can't stand the direction the country is going

Worrying really
I'm tryna find a nice aussie bird so I can move there 😂 since I don't have a trade but there in short supply at the minute.

Covkid1968#

Social media just breeds disrespect and contempt and a don’t give a fuck attitude. I’d hate to be a kid starting out now. My daughter is either happy or beside herself with unhappiness depending on the feedback she gets from her social media accounts. It seems impossible to ween her off it as so much of kids lives are tied up with It. It feels as if as a parent your influence is slowly eroded by these idiots on Instagram. I can’t remember me or my sister being easily led when we were 13 but then I remembered I was a Liverpool fan at that age so maybe I was!!!

covcity4life

Social media just breeds disrespect and contempt and a don’t give a fuck attitude. I’d hate to be a kid starting out now. My daughter is either happy or beside herself with unhappiness depending on the feedback she gets from her social media accounts. It seems impossible to ween her off it as so much of kids lives are tied up with It. It feels as if as a parent your influence is slowly eroded by these idiots on Instagram. I can’t remember me or my sister being easily led when we were 13 but then I remembered I was a Liverpool fan at that age so maybe I was!!!

It is such a worry. My nephews friend a stopped talking to him recently because he signed into xbox without asking anyone in groupchat of they wanted to play! Wtf big brother?

Impossible to switch off now. In our day we say bye to friends at 3.30 and more often than not you wouldnt see thrm again till next day at school. Meeting up on a Saturday was a big deal lol. Now they are chatting on phones soon as get home. It is so sad when thibk about it and whildt some will say you are just beijg an older generation stick in the mud I don't think that's the case honestly. Social media and other aspects of the internet have made the world a worse place to live

I guess all you can do is take a kid aside and try to explain all this and get kids to meditate and have no phone time slots etc

hill83

To add to that and link a few bits in as well. Once someone gets in with the 'wrong crowd' it can get really difficult for parents to control how their child turns out. And with social media etc as mentioned it's even harder to control who they speak to or who influences them.

shmmeee

To add to that and link a few bits in as well. Once someone gets in with the 'wrong crowd' it can get really difficult for parents to control how their child turns out. And with social media etc as mentioned it's even harder to control who they speak to or who influences them.

I often think this. Before mobiles it used to be common even aged 15ish for mates parents to ban them from seeing people. You either had to knock the door or call the house and parents knew every friend. Now they could be talking to people and you’d have no idea.

This is why I got so pissed when my ex locked me out of my daughters new phone parental controls. Having access to their digital life is a massive part of parenting these days.

shmmeee

I was talking to a second generation African immigrant woman once and she was convinced that the reason so many Afro Caribbean boys had behaviour issues was because the style of parenting Caribbean parents are used to (beat the with a shoe from what I could understand) they’re told they can’t do in the U.K. and it’s hard to transition to a more U.K. middle class parenting style for discipline.

I wonder if the way childhood has changed so quickly hasn’t made that apply across the board. With mobiles and changes to child protection a lot of people just aren’t sure what to do with some of the challenges they face.

Equally split parenting is hard. I’m constantly worried if I punish my kids too hard they’ll go to the ex and she’ll use it against me, which means I end up not going as hard as I feel I need to sometimes.

Brighton Sky Blue

I was talking to a second generation African immigrant woman once and she was convinced that the reason so many Afro Caribbean boys had behaviour issues was because the style of parenting Caribbean parents are used to (beat the with a shoe from what I could understand) they’re told they can’t do in the U.K. and it’s hard to transition to a more U.K. middle class parenting style for discipline.

I wonder if the way childhood has changed so quickly hasn’t made that apply across the board. With mobiles and changes to child protection a lot of people just aren’t sure what to do with some of the challenges they face.

Equally split parenting is hard. I’m constantly worried if I punish my kids too hard they’ll go to the ex and she’ll use it against me, which means I end up not going as hard as I feel I need to sometimes.

That demographic and their African counterparts caused me the most difficulties by far. Quite often just crowded around you in a classroom and there’s nothing you can do except be called racist just for being a white dude

jimmyhillsfanclub

Bit of a classic middle aged moaners thread here innit?

Dunno about you lot, but I seem to remember it being pretty fucking bleak, shitty & violent through much of the 70s & 80s.....

Thats said...i'm with you on the littering......its one of my pet hates & I've often confronted people about it....dirty lazy cunts.

Evo1883

Dunno about you lot, but I seem to remember it being pretty fucking bleak, shitty & violent through much of the 70s & 80s.....

Thats said...i'm with you on the littering......its one of my pet hates & I've often confronted people about it....dirty lazy cunts.
I'm only 36 tbf, I think aswell general behaviour of people and discipline of children has changed quite drastically... I guess adding to my feelings

shmmeee

I’ve been thinking this since I was 24!

I’m not one generally for “isn’t the world going to hell”, but I do think there’s been clear changes in approaches to children that harm a lot of working class communities. A move to a parenting style that they are not familiar with and have no support in maintaining.

Also even before I taught I felt that one disruptive kids “right to education” shouldn’t trump the rights of the other 30 in the room.

fernandopartridge

I haven't seen a burnt out car for a good while, so whilst places might be litter strewn it's not like the early 90s where burnt out (which had been stolen by joyriders) cars littered the 'Sowe Valley Footpath' which i took as my route to school on a regular basis.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I’ve been thinking this since I was 24!

I’m not one generally for “isn’t the world going to hell”, but I do think there’s been clear changes in approaches to children that harm a lot of working class communities. A move to a parenting style that they are not familiar with and have no support in maintaining.

Also even before I taught I felt that one disruptive kids “right to education” shouldn’t trump the rights of the other 30 in the room.

I especially agree with the last sentence. Decent kids suffer an don't achieve as much as they could because the time is spent disproportionately dealing with those that are disruptive.

It's always been a problem, esp with Tories, that their experience of education is often very different to the norm so their ability to understand and provide education for those from other backgrounds is hampered. You can esp see this in those that were privately educated in boarding school as they've changed the testing to end-of-year exams rather than continual assessment and there are a number who think Latin should be back on the curriculum because that classical education is what made them the success they are. It's not - it's the contacts made that makes the biggest difference.

Trouble is now an increasing number of those on the left are also going through private education making the problem even worse.

As I've said before an increasing effort needs to be made to try and offer as broad a range of subjects as possible so kids can find something of interest to them and those non-academically minded aren't alienated by education and are less likely to be troublesome as they find something they can engage in. If that's vocational or physical so be it - not everyone is a STEM genius. See the two as equal paths to success in the future, not two tiered of clever/not clever.

Of course there will still be a handful that will just be a pain in the arse and someone above mentioned some sort of military based boot camp school. I'm not a fan of national service at all but a no-nonsense environment similar to the military could well help as a last resort, three strikes and you're out, sort of deal for the most unruly. Run by ex-servicemen/women it wouldn't be part of the armed forces so not like they're being 'foisted upon them'.

Brighton Sky Blue

I haven't seen a burnt out car for a good while, so whilst places might be litter strewn it's not like the early 90s where burnt out (which had been stolen by joyriders) cars littered the 'Sowe Valley Footpath' which i took as my route to school on a regular basis.

I was a toddler then and remember hearing someone shout ‘what the fuck are you doing to my car’ outside our flat in Wyken. We went for a walk and there sure enough was a burned out wreck nearby

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Shit, I'm 36 as well. There's a running theme here.

Thing is those it's people of around our age whose kids are now the ones in the system.

There is also a thing that things like smart systems are also having an effect because talking to a machine has eroded manners. You don't need to say please and thank you to Alexa, you just demand and it gives you what you ask for (well, sometimes if it actually understands what you asked).

Maybe change the algorithm so rather than just saying "Alexa", "Siri" etc you have to say "Alexa, please". And to turn if off you have to say 'thank you, Alexa"

shmmeee

Thing is those it's people of around our age whose kids are now the ones in the system.

There is also a thing that things like smart systems are also having an effect because talking to a machine has eroded manners. You don't need to say please and thank you to Alexa, you just demand and it gives you what you ask for (well, sometimes if it actually understands what you asked).

Maybe change the algorithm so rather than just saying "Alexa", "Siri" etc you have to say "Alexa, please". And to turn if off you have to say 'thank you, Alexa"

Alexa and Google do actually have something like this.

Marty

I can speak to the car through a similar system and always say please and thank you like a freaking idiot.

shmmeee

I’m (falsely) claiming credit for Britishising Google Assistant. I used to say “Cheers” after it did something or more often “cheers big ears” and it’s always reply something like “bottoms up” and a drink clink noise. So I gave feedback. Now when you say “cheer big ears” it replies something like “that’s how it goes big nose”.

Users who are viewing this thread