England cricket 2019 (2 Viewers)

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

It does make a difference. If you're used to coming in with a ball that's 20-25 overs old and softened up a bit and then suddenly coming in with one that's practically new it's like a completely different game.

Yes, he needs to get out of the bad spell but a big part of that would be getting him batting when the ball has had the shine taken off it.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Our failure to bowl at the wickets for Warner/Labauchagne could well prove costly. We went past Warner's edge so many times yesterday that aiming at the wickets he'd have let through or edged one. They're making us play.

SkyBlueSoul

Jason Jason Jason

119de0c0829b18084c8f5ffbb9f28080.gif

Insert new batsman’s name, repeat ad nauseum

Grendel

Our failure to bowl at the wickets for Warner/Labauchagne could well prove costly. We went past Warner's edge so many times yesterday that aiming at the wickets he'd have let through or edged one. They're making us play.

Lol how many of the 4 dismissals today were by bowling at the wickets. Warner has been out throughout the series by not bowling at the wickets which is his strength

He was all over the place but toughed it out

It was a perfect length to bowl at him and 95% of the time he’d have gone early

Paul Anthony

It's beyond a joke now. Our bowling gave our batting order a chance, and they collapse like a stack of cards. Again.

chiefdave

Be lucky to make 100 at this rate.
Far too new to test cricket to compare him to the greats, but shows real promise he can be a force in the game
Also needs to be well managed. England don't have a good record in recent years of keeping emerging bowlers injury free.

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

It does make a difference. If you're used to coming in with a ball that's 20-25 overs old and softened up a bit and then suddenly coming in with one that's practically new it's like a completely different game.

Yes, he needs to get out of the bad spell but a big part of that would be getting him batting when the ball has had the shine taken off it.
While I agree, from how the series is going he would just be coming in about 4 balls later rather than 25 overs later.

Grendel

While I agree, from how the series is going he would just be coming in about 4 balls later rather than 25 overs later.

And he’s the captain and the batsman with real pedigree.

This has been beyond dire this morning - it’s a horror show

Denly played like a night watchman - he made zero attempt to take any initiative

England wanted to win the World Cup. That was the aim and they achieved it.

You can’t make a bowler captain but Root is only captain as he’s the one batsmen you’d always select

If he’s failing in that as well then someone else may have to step up.

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

Denly played like a night watchman - he made zero attempt to take any initiative

You can’t make a bowler captain but Root is only captain as he’s the one batsmen you’d always select

In the most clutching at straws statement I have possibly ever made, at least Denly made double figures!

Grendel

In the most clutching at straws statement I have possibly ever made, at least Denly made double figures!

He never looked like a batsman though. He’s hanging on.

It’s a watershed moment for England as a test team

When you look at it for both teams in s way. Warner is a class player and smiths replacement s bonus but other than that it’s second eleven county batting

120 of the just above 200 runs have been
Made by 2 batsmen of the 18 on display - it’s dire

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

This is appalling, absolute horror show at the moment. What's cut off for follow on?

We can't follow on because Aus didn't make 200. You have to be 200 runs or more behind after the first innings to be made to follow on.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

He never looked like a batsman though. He’s hanging on.

It’s a watershed moment for England as a test team

When you look at it for both teams in s way. Warner is a class player and smiths replacement s bonus but other than that it’s second eleven county batting

120 of the just above 200 runs have been
Made by 2 batsmen of the 18 on display - it’s dire

He may be hanging on, but half the time that's what an opening batsmen is there for. It's still more than most of the rest have done for a while now. Ideally you'd want someone else in in his place, but who do you suggest? Everyone concentrates so much on limited overs because it's where the money is no-one bothers with the hard graft.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I've never understood why you can't make a bowler captain. They're the ones with the ball in the hand so should be cpable of knowing where to set a field to how they're going to bowl. Captaincy is mainly about fielding and the bowlers will be prepped on the weaknesses of opposition batsmen.

Only downside I can see is they'd always want to review their own bowling.

Grendel

He may be hanging on, but half the time that's what an opening batsmen is there for. It's still more than most of the rest have done for a while now. Ideally you'd want someone else in in his place, but who do you suggest? Everyone concentrates so much on limited overs because it's where the money is no-one bothers with the hard graft.

Well Nasser Hussain has just this minute said exactly what I said about Denly

I’m going with him over you. He said if he played like that as an opener it’s meaningless - I’m going with Nasser

Grendel

I've never understood why you can't make a bowler captain. They're the ones with the ball in the hand so should be cpable of knowing where to set a field to how they're going to bowl. Captaincy is mainly about fielding and the bowlers will be prepped on the weaknesses of opposition batsmen.

Only downside I can see is they'd always want to review their own bowling.

Look at documentaries on captains and especially the ashes one regarding Bob Willis then you will get it

Grendel

Now it’s damage limitation and there is little point in just hanging around. Butler and woakes need to try and adopt as much of a one day mentality as possible and try to get as near to the Australian total as possible

Otis

Now it’s damage limitation and there is little point in just hanging around. Butler and woakes need to try and adopt as much of a one day mentality as possible and try to get as near to the Australian total as possible
Agree. Try to hang in there and we will be skittled out well before 100.

Any lead of 50 or more and I think the game may well be lost.

Paul Anthony

That's the Ashes gone right there I think.

56/8

They were gone already, really. It was just a case of how long we could frustrate them. And we've failed, spectacularly. I think we knew there would be a collapse, its inevitable. But this has just been pathetic.

SkyBlueSoul

It’s my birthday next weekend, got tickets for the F1 in Belgium then day 3 at Old Trafford the Friday after. Looking forward to one a lot more than the other right now...

Otis

They were gone already, really. It was just a case of how long we could frustrate them. And we've failed, spectacularly. I think we knew there would be a collapse, its inevitable. But this has just been pathetic.
Stokes - bad shot, Roy - bad shot, Buttler - bad shot, Woakes - bad shot.

Who have I missed? Root got out to a very good ball.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

But it's the batting like it's a one-day game that keeps on seeing us get out cheaply. You would hope with so many explosive batsmen at least one could string something together but they never get anyone around long enough for it to happen.

Users who are viewing this thread