England cricket 2019 (2 Viewers)

SBAndy

Root averages over 40 as a number 3

But in the current scenario he may as well open. The ideal is that the openers see out at least the first 10-15 overs and see the ball wear a bit and then Root can do his thing. I mean, Smith bats at 4 for Aus so why the pressure to move Root up?

Grendel

But in the current scenario he may as well open. The ideal is that the openers see out at least the first 10-15 overs and see the ball wear a bit and then Root can do his thing. I mean, Smith bats at 4 for Aus so why the pressure to move Root up?

Because we have no one else - the openers for a long time now have failed to make a sustained partnership - you can’t start putting bowlers in there as a fill in. We tried with Ali it was a disaster. There’s no confidence in Denly either.

It’s different with Australia normally as Warner is a 45 average cricketer.

SBAndy

Because we have no one else - the openers for a long time now have failed to make a sustained partnership - you can’t start putting bowlers in there as a fill in. We tried with Ali it was a disaster. There’s no confidence in Denly either.

It’s different with Australia normally as Warner is a 45 average cricketer.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think our openers are anywhere near up to standard. Burns has scored some runs to give him credit, and he is a proper test-style player but he strikes me as lucky with the amount of times his bat is beaten. I just don’t see what the need is to move Root from 4 when it’s plainly obvious that is hampering his batting abilities.

Well it’s also his captaining, but who do you burden with the captaincy? Broad? He’d only use reviews on his own bowling and they’d be gone within the first 5 overs. Stokes? Can’t be having his batting or his bowling affected by it. Beyond that, who else would you say is a senior player?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Root averages over 40 as a number 3

Burt the big scores come when the openers stay in for a bit and soften it up for him. He tends to be less successful if called upon early and that's happening a lot since Cook retired - even when Cook got a low score he tended to hang around for a while. That's why I think we need to be more fluid with the batting line-up and consider bringing in lesser batsmen to just defend and allow him and a few others to come in in conditions that are more likely to result in them getting big scores.

If the openers last a while he can easily come in at three. If they get out quick send someone out to protect him.

Terry Gibson's perm

Ollie Pope called up to cover team mate at Surrey Jason’s Roy do the selectors only receive free entry to the Oval? Amazing most of the batsmen that are called up bat on the road at the Oval

ccfchoi87

Ollie Pope called up to cover team mate at Surrey Jason’s Roy do the selectors only receive free entry to the Oval? Amazing most of the batsmen that are called up bat on the road at the Oval

Interesting that a middle order batsman was called up. Does that mean Denly will open and Roy bat further down?

Terry Gibson's perm

England win toss and bowl under cloudy skies in bowling conditions, Paine said he would have batted :emoji_joy:

Covstu

Certainly rescued a poor day, was puzzled why we didn’t bat but 1 or 2 more might justify that decision. Woakes awful today but Aussies very jammy in parts.

Covstu

Needed that, skittle them out early doors tomorrow and hit a decent total. Would be nice to get Labuschagne out tonight

Terry Gibson's perm

Certainly rescued a poor day, was puzzled why we didn’t bat but 1 or 2 more might justify that decision. Woakes awful today but Aussies very jammy in parts.

With conditions I saw at the toss you have to bowl I will watch the hi lights later

tisza

Archer - He's not just quick - he's a very controlled and quick thinking bowler.
Put them in and bowl them out for under 200 a good day.
Now some of the batsmen have to stand up.

ccfc92

What's everyone's take on Archer? Not a massive cricket fan, but he seems more than good.

How does he rank amongst the greats going by his recent form?

Otis

What's everyone's take on Archer? Not a massive cricket fan, but he seems more than good.

How does he rank amongst the greats going by his recent form?
Far too new to test cricket to compare him to the greats, but shows real promise he can be a force in the game

Covstu

Agreed, a long way off Anderson and Broady who are true legends of our bowling attack but extremely excited that we have someone of his quality coming through as the lack of replacements for those two was looking limited!

Otis

Agreed, a long way off Anderson and Broady who are true legends of our bowling attack but extremely excited that we have someone of his quality coming through as the lack of replacements for those two was looking limited!
Yup, and Anderson can't have that much longer in him and Broad is about 33 isn't he?

Brighton Sky Blue

Archer - He's not just quick - he's a very controlled and quick thinking bowler.
Put them in and bowl them out for under 200 a good day.
Now some of the batsmen have to stand up.

Well yes without Smith it’s a level playing field. Roy will be gone in the first half hour

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

We'll find out this morning if yesterday's comeback was good or not when we see us batting. Headingley can be very difficult to bat on and the Aus attack is good. I can't see Roy lasting long either. I'd still have Denly opening if for no reason that he might hang around a bit longer.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

He's made a very good start but it's way too early to be making comparisons. With his really big pace you've really got to make sure we don't over-use him and bring on injuries.

Anderson looked a bit wayward early on in his career and Broad can be incredibly frustrating with his over-use of the short ball and not aiming at the stumps very often - his devastating spells all seem to be when he's actually going for the wickets.

The encouraging thing is that we've got some decent looking talent coming through to replace them with Archer and Curran. Woakes will be good in the transition period and Stokes is good as the all-rounder option. Still got that spin problem though.

SkyBlueSoul

Jason Jason Jason

119de0c0829b18084c8f5ffbb9f28080.gif

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

His move to three hasn't helped. Especially when you've got an opener who won't last more than an hour.

Grendel

His move to three hasn't helped. Especially when you've got an opener who won't last more than an hour.

It makes no difference - ultimately he’s the best player in the team and putting rookies ahead of him achieves nothing

He’s struggling for form and needs to get himself out of the bad spell

Users who are viewing this thread