England cricket 2019 (4 Viewers)

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Warner should've been out first ball but we didn't review. He's then given out not long after for a wrong LBW he didn't review. Good to get the early wicket cos usually not getting that early decision you see the player go on to get a decent score.

Not a great start from either team regarding reviews.

Paul Anthony

Couldn't believe Warner didn't review it. Felt sure he was going to, right up to the point where he walked. That said, it had everyone convinced.

SkyBlueSoul

Just had a coffee in Earlsdon with a couple of friends, Australian guy in his 60’s on the next table overheard us talking about the cricket and asked for the score. Had a nice chat with him and a bit later asked where he could buy a Cov shirt.

Just before he left, taps me on the shoulder and asks if I know where to buy sandpaper “Not much, just enough to tuck in my pants”

vow

Just had a coffee in Earlsdon with a couple of friends, Australian guy in his 60’s on the next table overheard us talking about the cricket and asked for the score. Had a nice chat with him and a bit later asked where he could buy a Cov shirt.

Just before he left, taps me on the shoulder and asks if I know where to buy sandpaper “Not much, just enough to tuck in my pants”
Haha, qualidy.

Paul Anthony

It's all collapsed for them, only Steve Smith looking anything like handy. Just hope our batsmen do better when it's our turn!

Paul Anthony

Smith couldn't be any more planted if he had roots. He's going to be the most frustrating player to bowl against. Will draw out mistakes from our bowlers and capitalise on them.

Covstu

Fantastic start but left the door well open now. Smith as much as I hate him, he is a quality batsman and always scores well against us. Good knock by siddle too

Grendel

That's a hell of an innings from Smith in any circumstances but first test back and with wickets tumbling at the other end makes it even more impressive.

We paid the price with having only 3 front line bowlers and two all rounders - there was a real case to play archer and leave Denly or burns out

Paul Anthony

Trouble is Archer isn't 100% fit either.

No doubt it was a big ask with Anderson gone, Broad and Woakes can only do so much. Nevertheless you could probably show Smith's innings to young players and tell them that's how you bat a test innings. You know he'll frustrate your bowlers, then attack when the moment is right. I think our field position was suspect at times too.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I have a feeling this entire series could come down to who bats best out of Smith and Root.

Otis

I think the Aussies will win this test now.

When they were around 120/8 we had a chance to get them out cheaply, but with England's ability to collapse I think Australia will take a first innings lead here.

Covstu

I think the Aussies will win this test now.

When they were around 120/8 we had a chance to get them out cheaply, but with England's ability to collapse I think Australia will take a first innings lead here.
Just think it needs to be appreciated for what it was, a great display of batsmanship by smith and a tail ender. That’s what makes a great player that can rescue a dismal display into a half decent chase total

SBAndy

We paid the price with having only 3 front line bowlers and two all rounders - there was a real case to play archer and leave Denly or burns out

I get that you want Archer in there, but dropping a batsman for him seems silly. Who could have predicted that our main bowler would go off injured after 4 overs?

Otis

Just think it needs to be appreciated for what it was, a great display of batsmanship by smith and a tail ender. That’s what makes a great player that can rescue a dismal display into a half decent chase total
Yep. It was. I would tip my hat to him, but I don't like him enough.

tisza

Proper Test 1st innings batting. Blunt the ball and the attack and then the likes of Buttler and Bairstow can kick it on from a foundation.
Burns showing some of what he showed over winter - hopefully this time he converts it into a score.

ccfc92

It's where they hide their drugs.

Nope, it's for the footmarks. Sometimes bowlers tend to slip in the footmarks they have made, as the pitch gets worn.

And some sneaky ball tampering ;)

Also, a night's watchmen???

chiefdave

Also, a night's watchmen???
If someone has to come in and bat for a short amount of time at the end of the day they sometimes send in a non-batsmen whose job it is to just stay in until close of play.

The idea is to not risk one of your main batters and have them ready to go the next day.

ccfc92

If someone has to come in and bat for a short amount of time at the end of the day they sometimes send in a non-batsmen whose job it is to just stay in until close of play.

The idea is to not risk one of your main batters and have them ready to go the next day.

Would the nights batsman then have to be bowled out or can the team pull him off at any time?

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

Would the nights batsman then have to be bowled out or can the team pull him off at any time?
He has to be out (bowled/LWB/caught/run out) before we could put a more orthadox batsman in. However, this isn't always a matter of just seeing out the innings in the evening and then being out immediately the following day. Just last week we played Ireland and deployed a nightswatchman (Leach) who went on to score 92.

Paul Anthony

These umpires aren't getting any better. Can't make the right decision, and can't even change the ball properly!

ccfc92

He has to be out (bowled/LWB/caught/run out) before we could put a more orthadox batsman in. However, this isn't always a matter of just seeing out the innings in the evening and then being out immediately the following day. Just last week we played Ireland and deployed a nightswatchman (Leach) who went on to score 92.

That's what drew me to the term. I can see why it's unusual to get one score so highly.

Otis

Looks like.we are going to take a lead. Very happy to be proved wrong, because I thought we might well have folded today.

Users who are viewing this thread