Transfer Rumour Ellis Simms (3 Viewers)

fatso

Sunderland fans said it took him a while to get his feet last season for them as well.

MR plays an unusual scheme here and it will take players time to get used to their responsibilities. And when you're low on confidence as Simms looks, playing sporadically isn't giving him time to gel, get more confident nor get used to the tactics. And don't say the training ground is where they do all that. Playing on a training ground is not as intense as playing in a full match. Even our US international who has previously played in 5 different countries and played for his country in a World Cup is struggling to get into the swing. Where are the threads deriding his performances ?

This guy, like every one of our new recruits needs more than 3 games to get up to speed in our system. Preseason was shortened this year, a fair few of the new ones came in later. And now, most are only getting partial appearances due to sharing out their game time with the other new recruits.

Give them time before you start nailing them all to the cross. And by time, I would say 6-10 games. Will it affect our season ? Took us 7 games to win a game last season and we were bottom of the league for the first 10 games. So no, it won't affect our season, it may just make it better.
Wright isn't getting stick because although he's clearly taking time to get used to us, he is trying hard, and has shown glimpses of quality.
His movement in a packed box for his goal against Borough being just 1 example, his willingness to use his strength for Godden's goal being another (although he was very lucky to get an assist) he also got a decent shot away that went wide, and generally put himself about well in what was a poor team performance.

Simms has produced 1 very good pass to Godden at the start of the second half of the Leicester game, other than that he's shown absolutely nothing so far. There may be reasons for his poor showing, but he's now a player who starts on the bench, and he needs to show something positive soon or the kids will overtake him. MR won't give him too long if he isn't performing.

Finham

Why is everyone afraid to say he looks garbage, it’s all very woke. We all hope he does succeed and he will get backed for a while at the match but it ain’t looking good.
Well for one thing, that would make us American. Which may be true for some posters, but not all.

robbiekeane

He’ll come good he’s young and adapting to a new system. Get a goal off someone’s arse and in and it will do his confidence a world of good

Alkhen

Wright isn't getting stick because although he's clearly taking time to get used to us, he is trying hard, and has shown glimpses of quality.
His movement in a packed box for his goal against Borough being just 1 example, his willingness to use his strength for Godden's goal being another (although he was very lucky to get an assist) he also got a decent shot away that went wide, and generally put himself about well in what was a poor team performance.

Simms has produced 1 very good pass to Godden at the start of the second half of the Leicester game, other than that he's shown absolutely nothing so far. There may be reasons for his poor showing, but he's now a player who starts on the bench, and he needs to show something positive soon or the kids will overtake him. MR won't give him too long if he isn't performing.

No, Wright is just a different player to Simms or Godden. Haji is dynamic and pacy it's easier to notice, and even if he doesn't score people can easily see him racing about the place. Simms and Godden are more subtle players. They are here to make the runs, find the space and finish the chances.

Anyone who watched pre season or his time at Sunderland could tell Simms is more than capable, he is a natural finisher. Problem probably stems from a lack of service and the fact Godden is wanting to take up the same positions.

People were slagging Godden off prior to the Boro match because he hadn't scored. Few goals and he is golden again. Writing off a 22 yr old 3 games in is either fucking stupid or willfully destructive in my opinion.

Astute

I know they think hes shite.
Is that right? 🤔

The Championship is full of players not up to speed yet. They haven't got match fit and new players are still working out how their team mates play. New systems to learn.

Or are all the decent players not up to speed after 3 games shite?

Connolly has scored 3 goals for Hull at an average of 18 minutes per goal. Does that make him the best player in the Championship by far?

I normally wait until about 10 to 12 games before deciding who could do well and who is shite. We have a difficult start to the season. Two away games at sides expect to be near the top of the table and a home game against another side expected to be near the top. Next two games both at home to sides expected to finish in the top half.

Next month is a much easier run of games. We will see then how we are doing.

AFCCOVENTRY

It was his determination which won the corner for our goal at Leicester

Last edited:

Boicey

He will be on the bench now for a while probably. He needs to make a real impact when he comes on.
Not ideal for him but it gives him some time to get fit and up to speed and confidence building goal opportunities against tiring defences.
Ps. You know anyone using 'woke' is a grade A moron and that guy proves it. Just put on ignore....

stevefloyd

When I first saw Van Driver play he wasn't too impressive but he had a decent game yesterday, Simms hasn't impressed so far but Robins and Adi are no fools and haven't paid out a decent disclosed amount for him for no reason, lets wait until he feels at home here and is properly match fit before he becomes a boo boy !!

fatso

No, Wright is just a different player to Simms or Godden. Haji is dynamic and pacy it's easier to notice, and even if he doesn't score people can easily see him racing about the place. Simms and Godden are more subtle players. They are here to make the runs, find the space and finish the chances.

Anyone who watched pre season or his time at Sunderland could tell Simms is more than capable, he is a natural finisher. Problem probably stems from a lack of service and the fact Godden is wanting to take up the same positions.

People were slagging Godden off prior to the Boro match because he hadn't scored. Few goals and he is golden again. Writing off a 22 yr old 3 games in is either fucking stupid or willfully destructive in my opinion.
Why do you have this constant fascination with people writing him off?

No-one is writing anyone off after a 3 games, when they haven't even played a full 90 minutes, it's a ridiculous statement to make. but somehow keeps getting banded around.

Let me spell it out to you, so we can put it to bed.

We are saying, he needs to improve, he needs to contribute more (not just goals) he needs to have an impact in the final third, and that is what is missing at the moment.

That is clearly being noted by MR as Simms has gone from automatic first choice starter, to someone who sits on the bench and gets a 10 minute run out. If he can't step up, then he'll fall behind the youngsters who are coming through, and we can't afford to spend big money on a player who isn't playing.

So he needs some coaching, some loving or an arm round the shoulder, or a kick up the arse, I've no idea which, but something needs to change.

slowpoke

Not easy coming on as sub with 30 minutes to go , Nick a goal you’re a hero. Simms will be okay, fans have to get it into their heads he is not Gyokeres, neither is Wright. We have to and I think are play a different game with Gyo. gone and that takes time, let’s come back at the end of October once this team with some new additions & have played together for a few games.

PVA

Simms has gone from automatic first choice starter, to someone who sits on the bench and gets a 10 minute run out. If he can't step up, then he'll fall behind the youngsters who are coming through, and we can't afford to spend big money on a player who isn't playing.

ron burgundy GIF

Grendel

Ungainly, awkward, clumsy, not the greatest of first touches.

Ellis Simms? No, I am talking about a bloke called Mick Ferguson when he first started out. And look what he went on to do.

Give Simms time

Oddly I thought about Ferguson as well - he’s clearly a lot more mobile on the ground than Ferguson

It’s clear he needs goals to be a success - reaction against him is very strong from some after just a few games

quinn1971

Simms got 7 goals in 13 games for Sunderland last season, give him a chance he‘s only 22, gykores said how working with robins turned him into the player he is now, he’ll do the same with simms, there’s a player in there just needs to get him out

Mucca Mad Boys

Why is everyone afraid to say he looks garbage, it’s all very woke. We all hope he does succeed and he will get backed for a while at the match but it ain’t looking good.

See early reactions to Gyokeres and Hamer. It takes time to mould players and develop them.

We took Gyokeres from a 3rd choice behind Biamou to being a €24m striker for a UCL/Europa League team.

Blind-Faith

Haven’t written him off yet , Vik didn’t inspire when he first signed either. Let’s hope he takes sometime to get used to how we play and comes up trumps.

But bar the second half at Leicester, he has looked like a bit of a cart horse so far, that includes the friendly at Exeter where he was the worst player on the pitch

quinn1971

Reminds me of Tyler Walker. I think it was a panic buy without really doing their homework, seen he scored a goal in the prem and thought he’d be good enough. I reckon the other players think he’s no good too.
7 goals in 13 for Sunderland, Don’t think that’s a panic buy, some of our fans are clueless, 😂

fatso

Lol reading through this imagine if I’d written some of the reactionary bilge on here - pitchforks would be out
I'll give you a couple of weeks 😘

Interestingly though, can you imagine the meltdown on here if Godden was struggling in the way Simms appears to be?

fatso

Sick Boy

Users who are viewing this thread