Transfer Rumour Ellis Simms (2 Viewers)

Astute

Lets give Simms till this time next season at least.
I would say give him a run in the side like all our other new players got at least.

The problem is that so many have called him shite there will be several that won't go back on what they said even if he hits better form and keeps scoring. There's always going to be something to blame him for.

Hertsccfc

I would say give him a run in the side like all our other new players got at least.

The problem is that so many have called him shite there will be several that won't go back on what they said even if he hits better form and keeps scoring. There's always going to be something to blame him for.
If he starts to produce regularly I'll be delighted and will certainly acknowledge that improvement. There are tentative signs that he is improving which is good. However, I still remain of the view that he has been disappointing so far and has not justified a regular place in the team. I also am not convinced on what I have seen so far that he is as talented as some think he is. I hope he proves me wrong and becomes a great player for us.

TomRad85

Simms starting to hit form could be a real bonus in our play off push, he's definitely improving slowly I'd agree, when he's fit to do so he starts every game. There is nothing in Godden to justify sticking with him anymore.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Astute

If he starts to produce regularly I'll be delighted and will certainly acknowledge that improvement. There are tentative signs that he is improving which is good. However, I still remain of the view that he has been disappointing so far and has not justified a regular place in the team. I also am not convinced on what I have seen so far that he is as talented as some think he is. I hope he proves me wrong and becomes a great player for us.
Every player we brought in other than Torp has been seen as disappointing until they have had a run in the side.

Just his presence on the pitch has caused problems against the sides we have played. It has given the other players space which has produced goals. He has done his part in defence.

I'm not saying he is the finished article and never have done. But he is still young and has a lot to learn. He has what seems a good understanding with Wright. Look at their reactions when they nicked a goal off each other.

But as usual he has been written off by many.

Grendel

Every player we brought in other than Torp has been seen as disappointing until they have had a run in the side.

Just his presence on the pitch has caused problems against the sides we have played. It has given the other players space which has produced goals. He has done his part in defence.

I'm not saying he is the finished article and never have done. But he is still young and has a lot to learn. He has what seems a good understanding with Wright. Look at their reactions when they nicked a goal off each other.

Simms has played nearly as many minutes as godden and Wright

Astute

Simms has played nearly as many minutes as godden and Wright
Are you trying to say he has had a run in the side yet?

I take it you still want to put him in a taxi with Robins 😂😂😂

Hertsccfc

Minutes, I don’t think he’s had as many consecutive starts to be fair - has been in and out of the team constantly.
He is the only player in the squad who has played in every match. He has played almost as much as Wright and Godden, and has had a number of runs consecutive matches, including six and four in the trot.

He has five goals in 36 matches at a rate of a goal every 356 minutes. Not many strikers would have been allowed that much game time with those sort of stats.

Hertsccfc

It's simply not true that all the new players were disappointing at the start. For me only Simms was disappointing. I thought Wright was fine and people just concentrated on that miss against Huddersfield. All strikers do that. Simms did it recently and Godden on Wednesday.

How does his mere presence on the pitch cause problems to the opposition? I think that is nonsense. I give him credit for scoring some goals but generally the rest of his play has been poor until arguably the last couple of games. The stats that Evo posted recently showed that there is little difference between his input and Godden's apart from goals.

Maybe he will come good, and I hope so, but I simply don't think what he has done so far has been good enough or has merited him playing so much.

Astute

It's simply not true that all the new players were disappointing at the start. For me only Simms was disappointing. I thought Wright was fine and people just concentrated on that miss against Huddersfield. All strikers do that. Simms did it recently and Godden on Wednesday.

How does his mere presence on the pitch cause problems to the opposition? I think that is nonsense. I give him credit for scoring some goals but generally the rest of his play has been poor until arguably the last couple of games. The stats that Evo posted recently showed that there is little difference between his input and Godden's apart from goals.

Maybe he will come good, and I hope so, but I simply don't think what he has done so far has been good enough or has merited him playing so much.
Try going back to the first about 15 games and say that again.

Name 1 player that wasn't supposed to have been shite and a waste of money. I remember the abuse I got just for saying I could see a player in Wright with the way he was alert to everything.

Grendel

Are you trying to say he has had a run in the side yet?

I take it you still want to put him in a taxi with Robins 😂😂😂

Wright has started 2 more games than Simms

Grendel

Name 1 player that wasn't supposed to have been shite and a waste of money. I remember the abuse I got just for saying I could see a player in Wright with the way he was alert to everything.

You actually said Wright and Godden should start matches and Simms stay on the bench

Offhegoes

No problem with Simms, links play well, strong and pacey once he gets going.
He's missed some chances (but not THAT many), and no more than Godden. He also offers more than Godden in terms of running in behind, and playing the lone target man role (see Leeds away).

Astute

Just took a lucky dip on the Wright thread. Page 90

Grendel

Just took a lucky dip on the Wright thread. Page 90

"Not for me. Wright and Godden to start. Be lucky if he (Simms) gets on for 10 minutes."

"If Robins doesn't think he can count on Godden why has he kept him so long and has just signed a new 2 year contract?

We played to the strengths of Gyokeres. They were not the strengths of Godden. Now we are playing to the strengths of Godden. And strangely enough he is scoring again."

"Now we're playing a different set up Godden will score goals. He seems to have a good understanding with Wright already."

"If Wright and Godden continue as they are it will be Simms fighting for a starting place."

"It seems we're playing to the strengths of Godden since Gyokeres left. I can see him getting 15 goals or more this season. And if he plays with Wright also a lot of assists."

Hertsccfc

Not sure what point you are trying to make.

I was saying from the start I thought Wright was a good player.

Astute

As you know I said all the new players were called ahite and a waste of money. It was you who quoted that post saying you always said he was a good player.

Would you like to show where you were saying he was a good player when most were calling him shite and a waste of money?

Astute

You haven't got back yet so just done a quick search and took a screen shot with just your comments

Screenshot_20240216_164607_Samsung Internet.jpg

Mucca Mad Boys

He is the only player in the squad who has played in every match. He has played almost as much as Wright and Godden, and has had a number of runs consecutive matches, including six and four in the trot.

He has five goals in 36 matches at a rate of a goal every 356 minutes. Not many strikers would have been allowed that much game time with those sort of stats.

So he’s not really had a consistent run really then, has he? Godden started the first 10 and Hadji Wright had a 13 game run we he started all but one game.

Besides, his goal ration after Xmas has been much improved. Meanwhile it’s been 569 minutes since Godden’s last league goal.

Astute

You said you rated Wright from the start when I said people called him shite and a waste of money. It wasn't me saying you called him shite and a waste of money.

As you can see you wasn't happy with Wright or Simms. You've changed your mind about Wright but never miss an opportunity to make comments about Simms.

What's wrong with giving Simms a run in the side instead if making out he has had a run in the side?

Hertsccfc

You said you rated Wright from the start when I said people called him shite and a waste of money. It wasn't me saying you called him shite and a waste of money.

As you can see you wasn't happy with Wright or Simms. You've changed your mind about Wright but never miss an opportunity to make comments about Simms.

What's wrong with giving Simms a run in the side instead if making out he has had a run in the side?
As I have said he has had a run of 36 appearances, the only player in the squad not to have been rested even once. This has included a run of 6 league games, and another of four league games. In my view his performances haven't merited being played that much and his five goals isn't enough to compensate for that.

There are signs of improvement in the last two games and given the lack of options I am sure he will stay in the side and probably remain an ever present if he stays fit. I think that is a shame for him, as if we had strengthened up front in the window he could have had the chance to learn from an experienced striker like Keiffer Moore.

I know I am in the minority on this but we'll have to agree to disagree.

Astute

This can be added to the collection of posts that didn’t age well.

Perhaps one day the usual suspects refrain from making snap judgements about players and better still, develop some patience.
It's the same every season.

Like I have said before why can't some people think of the last time they changed employer but stayed in the same job? It normally takes a but of time to get used to the different ways you're expected to work and make a few mistakes until up to speed. Until then it can be like a rabbit in headlights.

A footballer needs to find out about how his new teammates play as well as what their role is in the team. Torp has had an amazing start considering he joined a side already playing as a team.

Astute

As I have said he has had a run of 36 appearances, the only player in the squad not to have been rested even once. This has included a run of 6 league games, and another of four league games. In my view his performances haven't merited being played that much and his five goals isn't enough to compensate for that.

There are signs of improvement in the last two games and given the lack of options I am sure he will stay in the side and probably remain an ever present if he stays fit. I think that is a shame for him, as if we had strengthened up front in the window he could have had the chance to learn from an experienced striker like Keiffer Moore.

I know I am in the minority on this but we'll have to agree to disagree.
How many consecutive 90 minutes has Simms played?

blunted

Think Simms is going to get incrementally better as our brilliant training staff improve every aspect of his game. It will take time, but we rarely mess up on player development. Stick with the process. Simms will tear you apart again.

Hobo

I think needs a run of games starting alongside Wright and Sakamoto. Let them really get to know each other. Robins keeps defaulting to Thomas and Kitching at the back and that has worked.

I think we need to put faith in the new forwards. It's okay comparing minutes played, but it is how those minutes fall and stop start nature of it. I think they deserve 5 games 5 starts and say this is your chance to win the shirts.

fernandopartridge

Be interesting to see our goals scored with Simms on the pitch vs scored without him on it. Got a feeling the former will be higher on a goals per minute basis.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Great_Expectations

Simms is a good footballer and will become a big player for us.

People made their minds up weeks ago that he wasn’t good enough and they won’t change them now.

Give him a consecutive run of games and let’s see how he goes. I strongly suspect his form, confidence and performance will continue to improve.

His hold up and link play with Wright, COH and Saka buzzing around him, plus Torp to play quick decisive balls through for any runs behind (á la Wednesday) is a strong, strong set up.

He’s important to our play off campaign.

Boicey

Some of us have been after him getting a run in the side all season. Every new player except for Torp needed a run of games before it was decided they weren't shite. Why would Simms be any different?

But whatever happens he will be a target for the boo boys. We even had someone trying to blame Simms for their second goal because they got the ball close to their own goal when he was trying to score for us. Nobody else at fault even though the ball had to cover nearly the length of the pitch and got put in the back of the net by one of our own players.

Saying that having a go at our strikers is nothing new. Anyone remember the game before? Other than winning a penalty, scoring the penalty and then getting another goal Wright was supposed to have played shite 🙄😂
The problem with that is Robins’s has chosen not to play Simms much after seeing him regularly in training and in matches. Not the ‘boo boys’.
But obviously you know best with your magic radio.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Simms has shown more aggression in the tackle in the last couple of matches. Well taken goal against Plymouth. He's been imposing himself more and it's been a long time coming. Still not entirely convinced.

Users who are viewing this thread