Ellis Simms Going Forward (1 Viewer)

StrettoBoy

Don’t think MvE is made for a central role at all. Hamer fair enough to move from RWB to CM cos of his passing range. MvE’s best attribute is his pace and his ability to stick with his winger.

You may be right but I can see that it COULD work. We won't know unless we try it, which I am suggesting we do if we have some meaningless matches at the end of the season.

Over the years some players have successfully made the transition to a different position. Dion Dublin from centre forward to centre back is an obvious example.

clint van damme

You may be right but I can see that it COULD work. We won't know unless we try it, which I am suggesting we do if we have some meaningless matches at the end of the season.

Over the years some players have successfully made the transition to a different position. Dion Dublin from centre forward to centre back is an obvious example.

And many have been an absolute disaster

TomRad85

There was one game we had that and Dacosta at RB
valley fire GIF

StrettoBoy

You don't think that maybe a training session is maybe a better place to do so than a high pressure important match...?

I definitely wouldn't try it in a high pressure important match.

This is what I said:

I suspect that MR won't take a gamble on that now but it could be worth a try towards the end of the season if, as I suspect, we find that we will neither make the play-offs nor be relegated.
We won't know unless we try it, which I am suggesting we do if we have some meaningless matches at the end of the season.

Of course you would try it in training first.

Great_Expectations

In a very different style to Gyokeres, I think he’ll be our next big money sale (unless we get promoted in the meantime of course).

He showed last year he’s a goal scorer, he showed us in pre season he can score here, and then hit a little confidence blip coupled with not being match fit (as per MR’s comments).

He is a goal scorer, has pace, can be a physical presence and technically he looks sound too.

I honestly have high hopes for him.

Astute

How is it hindsight? Which position of the team most needed investment on deadline day?
Needing to strengthen a position and the right player becoming available at the right price are two totally different things.

I'm glad we didn't do a panic buy like previous seasons. Not only would it waste the transfer fee but also take a wage from the budget. We're building for the future and not just for one season.

Astute

Barnsley didn’t want to sell Kitching, but we made it work by throwing money at them. If you think that was the best use of the cash then fine, but the fact he’s not even an automatic first choice suggests to me it might have been better thrown elsewhere that window.
We wanted their player. They didn't want to sell. This meant they wouldn't sell on the cheap. No difference to the sales of Gyokeres and Hamer.

If Kitching improves like I think he will we will have got him for a good price. Barnsley got a good price as they are League 1. You can put a whole side together for what they received in League 1.

BlueSkiesForever

You’re in dangerous territory here, the anti-creativity team will be cracking down on these sort of posts 😂
I aired up some ideas about formation changes and player positions a couple of weeks ago and it was met with as much positive enthusiasm as Dejphon Chansiri’s latest club statement 😂

The phrases “new”, “it could help us”, “4 at the back”, “try”, “we don’t know if we don’t have a go”, “interesting approach”, “out of the box thinking”, “even just for 15 mins”, “different”, “drop Godden”, “dynamic” and “out of position” all seem to be deeply frowned upon in this forum…

Last edited:

baldy

I can’t honestly see this happening at all - and why should it?

DrPoolittle

Don’t think MvE is made for a central role at all. Hamer fair enough to move from RWB to CM cos of his passing range. MvE’s best attribute is his pace and his ability to stick with his winger.
Yes. Absolutely. And we were beginning to see why before the injury curse struck him down.

Finham

Dion actually made the transition from CB to ST first though, didn't he? Easier to drop back when it's the position you played as a kid.

Users who are viewing this thread