EFL to end season this week - City likely to be promoted (3 Viewers)

eastwoodsdustman

And from today, we would have to have a game every 4 days to finish before June 30th... Now let's consider training for a couple weeks, we are looking at a game every 2/3 days... It just cannot happen

If they tried to go down that route it would only take 1 player to test positive for Covid 19 and the whole thing would go pear shaped anyhow. There would be the players team, any teams he's played against and any teams that those teams have played against going into lockdown for 2 weeks. Bear in mind the tests take a few days to come back. It's not going to happen.

Sky Blue Pete

If they tried to go down that route it would only take 1 player to test positive for Covid 19 and the whole thing would go pear shaped anyhow. There would be the players team, any teams he's played against and any teams that those teams have played against going into lockdown for 2 weeks. Bear in mind the tests take a few days to come back. It's not going to happen.
Not what they’re doing in the premier league

NortonSkyBlue

I have formed the view that if we can play the games we should do and try and finish the season, if not, then there is no reason why we shouldn’t be promoted as per the league two decision.
It is imperative that league one and two outcomes are aligned otherwise other issues will arise.
I have no problems with any of the teams lobbying for their self interests and would accept any decision based on the above, except us being involved in straight play offs. That said I expect us to go up under any fair circumstances.

eastwoodsdustman

Not what they’re doing in the premier league
They're going to coup them all up by the sounds of it and keep them away from people. Again though, It'll only take one or two cases and it'll cause issues. I know they'll throw more money at it but its like a house of cards waiting to come down in my eyes.

RegTheDonk

It does t matter though as two go up so it has to be done or you are now basing on a different argument to PPG

Then Tranmere can argue the same and demand a playoff with Wimbledon

If the base rules are tampered with more and more holes will appear and the whole thing will sink
Yes, it needs to be the most simple method that would most fit the existing structure/rules. Otherwise, the "what if" formulas become almost infinate.

robbiethemole

Why are we even bothered, they won't stop us being promoted. The playoff teams should be made to field the same players they had available when it all stopped, and not bring in any injured/recovered players to boost their squads.
maybe even restrict it to owned players and not loaned ones, that should shut the feckers up.

Grendel

Why are we even bothered, they won't stop us being promoted. The playoff teams should be made to field the same players they had available when it all stopped, and not bring in any injured/recovered players to boost their squads.
maybe even restrict it to owned players and not loaned ones, that should shut the feckers up.

Just pathetic

Warwickhunt

Some of our fans are so annoyingly bias lol

If we were in pboro or some relegstion thrratened teams place no way you wpuld be moaning if we were fighting void ppg decisions
If I were Pboro fan i would be saying having spent so much money why the fuck are we outside the play offs with only 9 games of the season to play? then i would be looking at the games we lost as a result of why we are there!

Specs WT-R75

I think that Rotherham are quite catchable by the pack behind

Whilst I agree in principal, It does not take into account for want of better words the 'six-pointers' teams will have teams around them that they have to play at home. We know from experience winning that game and leapfrogging a team can have a massive effect on morale. No one is going to be happy in this scenario. I feel sorry for the likes of Charlton, who went into the bottom three on the last weekend, and have a home game to Hull which if they won could lift them clear. This is no happy scenario. I do think that Rotherham are catchable and if there is a 6 team play off, they should be a part of it. I think in reality, we would have gained automatic, we would have had to have been piss poor to blow it, hence me not saying that we should be involved in it. I think everyone agrees within football circles that we should be awarded promotion. The clubs will not go for a voided season. Some chance of going up is better than no chance, that's why there will be promotion and relegation.

You just can't get in to the prediction game - PPG is as good as it is going to get as a fair reflection on "how you have done thus far". Small margins, but yeah Rotherham are slightly ahead of the rest. I totally get that they only had small percentage more and they were catchable but that's how it is. Look at league 2 - there were 5 teams in with a realistic chance of the 3 auto slots... Cheltenham were 64% for automatics...but on PPG they were not there and it's the playoffs for them.

The more you deviate from the original stated rules, the more that the other teams are just going to propose whatever it is that is in their best interests and that makes someone else unhappy and on it goes and no one will agree.

Specs WT-R75

Yes you can restrict players to only be able to play the final 10 games of this season for the team they were signed to at the time of the last game. Then it is up to clubs to make an agreement with those players that might be leaving, or extending loans (shouldn't be too much of a problem). In any case it is the same problem for all teams.

However, as for not allowing formerly injured players from playing, to be polite that's a shocker! Who makes the determination that the injured player would not have been able to play a game that hasn't even taken place!? On the same argument it would be like saying that if one player comes down with Covid then we need to postpone that game until they can play otherwise it wouldn't be fair... Players are injured all the time, if they are fit and can now play great - it's the same for all teams.

better days

That’s the anti-lockdown guy, right?
Carl Heneghan
I believe he did say the lock down was unnecessary at the time
Who was right about how things have been handled will only be clear when it's all over
And whether the virus is more virulent in northern hemisphere winter/early spring type conditions

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

There is no fair solution other than playing it out. PPG is the least shit option as it ranks based on performance so far. wPPG "predicts" how you might perform in future games and should be avoided at all costs otherwise why stop there. Why not look at strength of opponents etc. Look at the Premier League - West Ham and Bournemouth both have the same games played, the same number of home games played, the same number of away games and the same points. West Ham are ahead on goal difference (and thus rightly so on PPG) however on weighted PPG Bournemouth are saved. That means that we are "predicting" future results rather than just looking at who has done better so far. Sorry Peterborough, it's tough but you are 7th if we go with the standard 2+4 route. I've no issues extending the playoffs to 6 or 8 teams..

For me I think you do need to look at things like that. If one team has to play the top six the other the bottom six but just using PPG thus far would see the team with the easier run in relegated doesn't feel reflective of what is likely to happen in reality. If you've got the same PPG as another team but you've played more difficult fixtures against better teams then again you have a reasonably strong case to argue you've performed better than them so far.

shmmeee

For me I think you do need to look at things like that. If one team has to play the top six the other the bottom six but just using PPG thus far would see the team with the easier run in relegated doesn't feel reflective of what is likely to happen in reality. If you've got the same PPG as another team but you've played more difficult fixtures against better teams then again you have a reasonably strong case to argue you've performed better than them so far.

Then you get into all sorts of moving parts though. We’re they the better teams when you played them? Should points against Bolton at the start of the season be worth as much as they are at the end? What if you played them when on/off form? It just becomes a mess.

Brighton Sky Blue

Then you get into all sorts of moving parts though. We’re they the better teams when you played them? Should points against Bolton at the start of the season be worth as much as they are at the end? What if you played them when on/off form? It just becomes a mess.

We don't do weighted league tables at the end of the season so why do one now

Gibbo

In just 41 days, a huge portion of footballers within the football league pyramid are no longer under contract and have the option to play on or not themselves...do people really believe we can train, Then restart and finish the campaign in 41 days? It's all nonsense
Maybe that is why Parry is being patient.

Gibbo

Because if deadlock is still the case when the absolute absolute deadline is reached, doesn't null and void then apply, as the female Pallios pointed out yesterday? To avoid null and void, the League has to decide something, it can't do nothing.

Brighton Sky Blue

The longer this goes on the more sympathetic I am to a strict reading of the rules that says all unplayed games are void and the season ends as it is.

I don't think I'll ever be convinced of that in a season where most sides have 9 or fewer games remaining out of 44. Either finish the season or do straight PPG with tough beans to those who narrowly miss out.

cc84cov

Everyone still panicking then I see today...

Can’t see how The league will be carried on teams can’t afford it,nill & void is off the cards it will be PPG

Happy_Martian

Reactions: vow

Otis

There is no such thing as an easier run though is there. That's just on paper. At this stage of the season, teams fighting at the bottom can be the hardest teams to play against.

It is all fantasy talk. If these play these and those play those etc.

Specs WT-R75

I don't think I'll ever be convinced of that in a season where most sides have 9 or fewer games remaining out of 44. Either finish the season or do straight PPG with tough beans to those who narrowly miss out.

I don't think for a second shmmeee was suggesting to void the season... he was saying to void the remaining games...

Specs WT-R75

How do you come up with a prediction model that gives us a 16% chance of missing out on automatic promotion (which is what the math says), but allows us to be "happy" about that outcome when the dust has settled. Right now, we are all in "100% getting promoted mode", and with good reason, but essentially you are arguing to come up with some sort of system that gives us a chance of missing out.... eg that supercomputer that predicted us to miss out on the final game of the season...

What is a matter of fact is the points we have got on the board so far. There is no subjectivity about that fact. Straight PPG, not weighted, not anything else.

Evo1883

So it looks as though clubs have just 2 options to vote for which is much better than the 276 that were being spewed around

Users who are viewing this thread