EFL to end season this week - City likely to be promoted (11 Viewers)

Liquid Gold

3 budesliga hasn’t gone ahead. The premiership is going ahead. So both countries will have schools on, top division playing football and 3rd division not.

Grendel

Almost agree with that. But as I said several post back, and I gave my reasoning - Rotherham are far from clear in second place, and should join the playoffs. Also Sunderland are out of it having played two games more than many. Peterborough and Wycombe both earn a place in the playoff's. Just look at the table to see how tight it is. Sporting integrity would seem satisfied if it was done like that. Sunderland can bleep all they like, but tbf not in contention for a place.
Once the playoffs got underway I would predict Rotherham and Portsmouth to make the other two promtion spots from that.

Bizarre in that case wet would have to join the play offs as well

tisza

Hahaha if you take off the sky blue specs what you’re suggesting would also mean that we would get dragged into these play offs as well. It’s not like we’re mathematically promoted and if Rotherham are included then so should we.
But Where's the "sporting integrity" if we have to give up our pts advantage in a mini tournament?

SkyblueTexan

I agree but then if somehow Rotherham in 2nd are deemed fair game to enter it then we would be too.
i agree. That's why I think promoting the top 2 and having a playoff for teams 3-8 should be the course of action. In any event, if the league ended the top 2 would have been promoted and teams 3-6 would have entered the playoffs. So in this case, extending the playoffs to teams placed 7 and 8 seems to be fair considering the abrupt end to the league. That's why I think the sporting integrity would still be maintained. It's not like this stoppage is unique to any one team. We all started the season together it and "ended" it together (if you want to call it that) and have all played more than 75% of our fixtures.

Paxman II

Bizarre in that case wet would have to join the play offs as well

No. Rotherham are 2 points clear. We are 5 clear with a game in hand so quite possibly 8 points clear at the top on 70. Don't think anyone could argue that we should be promted but Rotherham not so surely?
If Rotherham for example lost their next game and Posh won then Posh go into second! A bit too close to allow Rotherham automatic right to promotion I would have thought?
So I can see why Posh's chairman is making noises.
You go as far down to Wycombe and exclude Sunderland as they have played two games more for a false position.

Last edited:

junglej13

Toney already said he wanted to move To the Championship so you know how that one will end - would be nice to have the GT force Godden and Toney !
Interestingly DM said one of the drivers for selling Godden was that him and Toney couldn't play together. I actually like DM. If we were in Peterborough's position I'd want my chairman to be making the same arguments that he is.

Magwitch

I know the EFL are not the favourite organisation on here but I do have a bit of sympathy with them on this promotion issue, I’m sure they know if games can’t be played and i am certain that will be straight ppg, none of the weighted bullshit, But there are as see it two problems, one is what if play-offs can’t happen and the other they are waiting for the Premiership to decide what they are doing, I still think they could veto relegation and if they do that do they promote just two from the championship and increase the Prem to 22, I have read that scenario somewhere a while ago. Interesting times.

samccov1987

Can anybody really see any more football in the 19/20 L1 season? I still can’t.

The league won’t continue as the costs are too high for the majority of clubs. Play off a possibility probably because of the stink DM is making (actually don’t blame him with what he’s spent on posh).

The biggest elephant in the room for me is when next season starts if at all. I’m not convinced football outside the Premiership is sustainable behind closed doors; certainly not in the third and fourth tier. Championship clubs are going to have to be incredibly prudent next season.

RegTheDonk

Maybe so. I’m not arguing, just see his point as there’s 1 point separating 3-8 places.
Teams have lost out or celebrated glory in the past over goal difference. Yes, its heartbreaking for some but you have to draw the line somewhere.

Can't see any problem with PPG and then isolating a 4 squads and having a limited play offs 3v6, 4v5 then a final - all at a neutral ground identified and used by the PL, should they restart.

Having multiple team mini-tournys us daft, there will be so many to play and most teams only have about 10 games left anyway ... you may has well just finish the season because you'll then have those teams losing out moaning they only had games vs' the bottom clubs, its' still not fair blub blub.

Tommo1993

The league won’t continue as the costs are too high for the majority of clubs. Play off a possibility probably because of the stink DM is making (actually don’t blame him with what he’s spent on posh).

The biggest elephant in the room for me is when next season starts if at all. I’m not convinced football outside the Premiership is sustainable behind closed doors; certainly not in the third and fourth tier. Championship clubs are going to have to be incredibly prudent next season.

Thats the thing. I still don’t think there’ll be a p/o either. Maybe at most scrap the two legged format.

kg82

Teams have lost out or celebrated glory in the past over goal difference. Yes, its heartbreaking for some but you have to draw the line somewhere.

Can't see any problem with PPG and then isolating a 4 squads and having a limited play offs 3v6, 4v5 then a final - all at a neutral ground identified and used by the PL, should they restart.

Having multiple team mini-tournys us daft, there will be so many to play and most teams only have about 10 games left anyway ... you may has well just finish the season because you'll then have those teams losing out moaning they only had games vs' the bottom clubs, its' still not fair blub blub.
Those teams got to play a whole season, these haven’t. And I haven’t said anywhere about a mini-tournament.

AFCCOVENTRY

One for DMac to think about...let’s just scrap the play offs and let the auto spots only go up. That would defo get the rebel alliance annoyed and would take PPG... hence why I think L1 will replicate L2 eventually.

ccfc92

Surley TV money would help? Ifollow etc.

Cost of policing and match day staff would be down too.

Grendel

I agree but then if somehow Rotherham in 2nd are deemed fair game to enter it then we would be too.

I think clubs below the premier will still refuse to play so they need to look at starting the season in October and working with cup sponsors to reduce cup games

tisza

Yes chance we didn’t try hard enough and spent more time arguing and debating instead of gearing towards one simple objective.
Tbf Govt only just given go ahead for football in June.
Govt haven't given any sector clear, strong guidance let alone to football clubs. Football clubs still don't even know if they can play home and away games yet do they?

Sick Boy

No. Rotherham are 2 points clear. We are 5 clear with a game in hand so quite possibly 8 points clear at the top on 70. Don't think anyone could argue that we should be promted but Rotherham not so surely?
If Rotherham for example lost their next game and Posh won then Posh go into second! A bit too close to allow Rotherham automatic right to promotion I would have thought?
So I can see why Posh's chairman is making noises.
You go as far down to Wycombe and exclude Sunderland as they have played two games more for a false position.
Yeah I’m sure all of the other clubs are going to be wearing sky blue glasses too. The fact is that we still had to play some of those in the mix for the play-offs so they’d argue that we weren’t dead certs for going up.

SkyBlueCRJ

DM now claiming that Peterborough missing out on promotion would cost them £25m for Ivan Toney.

He’s a complete disillusioned idiot.

Grendel

Think he was banking on that 20 million he'd dreamed of for Toney. Absolutely no guarantees that would ever happen though. Gutted for the man, I really am

This would be if he scored 20 goals in the championship next season. That’s about as likely as Godden getting 15 it’s desperate stuff

SkyblueTexan

Yeah I’m sure all of the other clubs are going to be wearing sky blue glasses too. The fact is that we still had to play some of those in the mix for the play-offs so they’d argue that we weren’t dead certs for going up.
Of the remaining fixtures, just out of curiousity I actually looked into how many games each of the top 10 teams had to play against each other other. Below are the fixtures:
Coventry vs Wycombe
Fleetwood vs Rotherham
Ipswich vs Portsmouth
Wycombe vs Oxford
Oxford vs Portsmouth
Coventry vs Peterborough
Wycombe vs Rotherham
Rotherham vs Portsmouth
Coventry vs Oxford
Sunderland vs Peterborough
Rotherham vs Doncaster
Oxford vs Fleetwood
Doncaster vs Ipswich
Rotherham vs Sunderland

Matches remaining against top 10 teams
Coventry - 3
Rotherham - 5
Oxford - 4
Portsmouth - 3
Fleetwood - 2
Peterborough - 2
Sunderland - 2
Wycombe - 3
Doncaster - 2
Ipswich - 2

Liquid Gold

Of the remaining fixtures, just out of curiousity I actually looked into how many games each of the top 10 teams had to play against each other other. Below are the fixtures:
Coventry vs Wycombe
Fleetwood vs Rotherham
Ipswich vs Portsmouth
Wycombe vs Oxford
Oxford vs Portsmouth
Coventry vs Peterborough
Wycombe vs Rotherham
Rotherham vs Portsmouth
Coventry vs Oxford
Sunderland vs Peterborough
Rotherham vs Doncaster
Oxford vs Fleetwood
Doncaster vs Ipswich
Rotherham vs Sunderland

Matches remaining against top 10 teams
Coventry - 3
Rotherham - 5
Oxford - 4
Portsmouth - 3
Fleetwood - 2
Peterborough - 2
Sunderland - 2
Wycombe - 3
Doncaster - 2
Ipswich - 2
We HAD some tough fixtures at one point but then we beat Pompey, Sunderland and Ipswich and drew with Rotherham.

Users who are viewing this thread