EFL Decision on Coventry’s future expected today (1 Viewer)

chiefdave

In our Premier League there’s Villa v Sheffield United to play with a Europa League place and survival on the line
That's easy enough to solve isn't it? Just have a play off in pre-season whenever we start back up.

Colin Steins Smile

Okay, but that still proves my point - how from a safety perspective is that any different to putting 22 players on a pitch together if there is a risk that they won't get the testing right and social distancing isn't being adhered to?
There seems to be a lot of double standards being promoted. Construction sites around the UK are working or returning to work. You just have to see the HS2 sites to witness workers not socially distancing and there thousands of them!
So to pick out football as being unsafe in comparison is bonkers.

covcity4life

Ligue 1 is the top league where clearly there’s a lot more interest and money at play. This is not comparable to our League 1

For what may happen to us a better idea will be when they decide what happens to their second and third tiers
I agree but you mentioned prem having sifferent games in hand

Lower leagues will tell more of a story. It should be consistent hopefully

wingy

I don't wish to keep repeating myself and all options are valid .
Quarantine means isolation followed by testing followed by playing matches and remaining quarantined until season completes.
Astronaut's Go through this every time they leave the planet.

hill83

There seems to be a lot of double standards being promoted. Construction sites around the UK are working or returning to work. You just have to see the HS2 sites to witness workers not socially distancing and there thousands of them!

A lot of it comes down to what’s truly necessary though. Construction projects probably are. Kicking a bag of air about probably not.

Saying that, rumours of PPG, promotions and no relegations are floating about now.

Basically the football is not restarting this season as things stand.

SkyBlueCRJ

CCFC, Pompey and Portsmouth haven't had issues getting players tested have they? For the amount of money involved in putting a game on, rights etc then they can test players to see if they have it. Anybody who can social distance could do it quite easily. Again, I don't mean tomorrow or next week either which is what the scaremongering nonsense keeps trying to make out. It kind of makes the "CANCEL THE SEASON NOW TO SAVE LIVES" type thing that is pushed or when somebody mentions sport returning in the future you have people say "there's a global pandemic" etc.

It isn't an argument saying footballers should work because tradesmen are it was pointing out that more and more people are gradually going back to work. Suppliers for Tradesmen was just one example I know for a fact are heaving at the minute.

Do you really think every single industry has people working with social distancing throughout? Have you left the house recently? Go into a one stop and see how close people on the checkouts are to each other when it's busy.

Like I said, I am talking of the reality of things.

Weren't those a different type of test? These are new antibody tests and show if a person has reportedly had the virus. I don't agree with Piers pushing scaremongering tactics so I understand your view on that. He's effectively reenacting the Daily Mail method by leading with the extreme which paints a poor and distorted picture of the truth. But I disagree with your initial comment where you described it as nonsense - as unfortunately both comments by Piers and Simon Jordan are something that will almost certainly have to be considered when the decision is made to resume the season, or cancel it.

I'm not saying they are, and I've read about plenty of industries flounting the rules and seen tradesman continue working on the sly. But the outcry from a PR perspective if players begin to get infected is going to be far greater than the average worker who believes they're at risk in an ASOS warehouse for instance.

Footballers will eventually go back to 'work' of course they will, but I will say again they will only do so if it is safe. It's no good making counter arguments of what other industries are doing because the fact of the matter is footballers unfortunately in today's society are valued more by their employers than Joe Bloggs on a Taylor Wimpey site which is why there are more considerations are being put in place to ensure that if we do resume the season it will be done safely - and if there are any potential stumbling blocks or any holes appear in those plans (E.g. not enough antibody tests being made available) then the season will not resume. It's as simple as that.

Last edited:

SkyBlueCRJ

I don't wish to keep repeating myself and all options are valid .
Quarantine means isolation followed by testing followed by playing matches and remaining quarantined until season completes.
Astronaut's Go through this every time they leave the planet.

This is what they're going to have to do. But as I mentioned previously - footballers have already been publicly breaching the current rules which are pretty relaxed in comparison to what they would have undergo once the season starts. How can you rely on every footballer and their respective families to remain isolated throughout the duration of the remainder of the season when they haven't even been respecting the current regulations now. It's completely unrealistic.

SkyBlueCRJ

As CD said there's a huge amount of inconsistency which I failed to mention in my posts. But as I stated in my last post to Nick - footballers are valued far more by their employer than Joe Bloggs working on the Birmingham to London HS2 line due to the capital that said employer has invested into said footballer.

Kenny Jacket has said that his players don't have to play if they don't want to. Do you think Joe Bloggs the HS2 worker gets that kind of treatment?

Last edited:

Magwitch

I'll be fuming if they manage to find a way to void our season but still have Liverpool win the PL.
I’m certain the least that happens is ppg for the Premiership and the EFL will have to copy, on radio last night “experts” I’m bloody sick of experts, but one mentioned Manchester United and Bournemouth, talking United he said with no gate money, prize money, Sky tv money and no corporate money and a massive player wage bill to pay over half a billion pounds could be sucked out of the business and no knowing when or how much of it will return, he actually feared for Bournemouth, although nowhere near the gate money loss of United they will still lose many millions in income. Football is in the shit imo.

Last edited:

CCFC88

Championship clubs committed to ending the season. Less so for League 1 and 2 clubs

Aslong as the Champonship finishes and relegates 3 Ill be feeling pretty confident.

If just Prem finishes no promotion/relegation is a very real possibility apart from Champ & Prem and likely Barrow making up the 92

Sick Boy

Aslong as the Champonship finishes and relegates 3 Ill be feeling pretty confident.

If just Prem finishes no promotion/relegation is a very real possibility apart from Champ & Prem and likely Barrow making up the 92
Unfortunately I think it’s a very real possibility. I’d be beyond devastated and would genuinely feel so disillusioned with everything. We are at a real crossroads here with the direction in which our club will take.

Colin Steins Smile

As stated before there are £750 000 000 reasons why the PL will be completed in some form with the knock on impact on the EFL to promote 3 teams

SkyBlue Snowflake

Like I exclusively revealed on Tuesday, no more football this season I league one and bet my house you won't see CCFC play again for 9 months minimum

better days

Or just not relegate teams from the PL.
From off the record comments I've heard the most likely solution if games can't be completed is that finishing places will be decided on 'sporting merit'
And that promotions will be as usual but there won't be any relegation
So all divisions will have extra teams next season with more clubs being relegated to bring the numbers per division back to how they are now
Probably the least worst solution

Sick Boy

From off the record comments I've heard the most likely solution if games can't be completed is that finishing places will be decided on 'sporting merit'
So all divisions will have extra teams next season with more clubs being relegated to bring the numbers per division back to how they are now
Agree it’d be the least worst, would make it very hard for us to stay up but would definitely put us in a stronger position if we were back down again with a long term aim of establishing ourselves in the Championship

skybluesam66

in previous seasons when top flight numbers have reduced, they have done that over a couple of seasons
so maybe 4 down 3 up or 3 down 2 up for a couple of seasons

They may go somewhere in between with 4th bottom joining a play off with 3rd - 5th in the championship

Skybluefaz

The most common sense solution has been this approach for weeks now..

steve cooper

Am I missing something or would it only be the Premier League with extra teams if there is no relegation?

cc84cov

Premier league talks of them going back may 16 sky reporting they may need to wear masks to train lol you would think if they start back everyone will follow

SlowerThanPlatt

The Athletic:

As football in Holland and France came to a halt over the past week, the Premier League, the Football League and the British government are striving to restore the sport “as soon as possible”. The culture secretary Oliver Dowden said this week that he has personally held talks with the Premier League and a further meeting of top-flight clubs is scheduled for Friday to further nail down a timetable and methodology for football to restart.

Indeed, behind the scenes, Premier League clubs were made aware over ten days ago that the government favoured a rapid return to football as part of a package that could boost public spirits amid a time of global pandemic and economic downturn.

In the boardrooms of fearing the repercussions of missing out on crucial broadcast payments, the favourable treatment from the government has been well-received. Conversations over imminent pay cuts and deferrals have been reduced to background noise as executives plot a path to stage matches behind-closed-doors, most probably featuring several neutral locations.

Both the Premier League and the government insist that any return will adhere to guidelines set out by Public Health England. Several Championship clubs have earmarked a return to team training on May 16 to begin a three-week pre-season ahead of resuming the campaign. A possible restart for the Premier League has been earmarked for June 9. However, behind the scenes, players, coaches and backroom staff are divided over the possibility of a return. The Athletic can reveal:

- Although many players are said to be “raring to go”, several top-flight players have registered concerns over the possibility of quarantining away from family for several months, particularly in the case of players whose wives are pregnant or who have elderly and vulnerable relatives that require their support.

- Backroom staff members at several clubs — including one side that stands to lose a lot should the season be voided — have confided fears that “money-driven men in suits” may take decisions that put “economic health” before the “mental and physical health” of players and staff who will be expected to attend training and games.

- Premier League doctors are at odds over what advice to give players regarding returning to training.

- At least two Premier League clubs have briefed players to return to competitive team training by May 18, with a view to resuming top-flight action on June 4 and concluding the season on August 2. Elsewhere, however, the communication breakdown is underlined by a different account from a Premier League club, where a player warned he had not received any information at all about a return to training. He has convinced himself lockdown will be extended and is not thinking for a moment about the resumption of top-flight football.

lord_garrincha

Put this on the French League post... How I saw what would be the best solution (for Coventry fans)...

1) EFL do not continue the regular season;
2) The Premiership re-starts, almost like a war-time morale booster to entertain people at home (I am sure Boris will give it some bluster should it happen);
3) The Premiership is completed by 30 June... which means there are 3 teams at the bottom after 38 games... therefore there is no legal implication for their relegation;
4) If 3 teams go down... 3 teams should go up, of which the top 2 teams currently in the championship are promoted... This is where is gets a tad tricky, as in who takes the 3rd place (obviously usually a play off)
5) Rinse & repeat down to Barrow taking Bury's place (2nd place go up instead of having play-offs as any further matches have been cancelled).

Yes, there is an issue regarding teams getting relegated, but if it was a EFL member decision (as in all getting the teams to vote for this should out weigh the 8 teams in the relegation spots), then it "may negate the legal implications" (wishful thinking I know). I see the points above RE: sporting merit would mean teams may not get relegated... but how are the likes of Bolton & Southend not starting in L2 next season considered fair & meritable?

As regards play-offs... play them. One off semis, followed by final... That's 9 games to play for the EFL, possibly being helped by the Premiership in terms of logistics and testing etc.

cc84cov

Project restart

Premier league to discuss this in their meeting Friday deadline for proposals may 25th

Bertola

Am I missing something here? Surely every division wouldn't have increased number of teams.

The PL would, however the 3 promoted teams from L1 would replace the 3 promoted teams into the Championship, and would be replaced in L1 by the top 3 of L2.

Users who are viewing this thread