EFL Awards Tonight (1 Viewer)

Frostie

I wasn't aware of Horvaths stats, I'd say going by that he should have won it.
I also think its a bit disingenuous to say clean sheets is a team achievement,(although there's undoubtedly some truth in it), no one says the same about a strikers goal tally though the team contribute to that.
Believe me, in the right circles they do! That's why xG & particularly npxG will always be looked at when assessing a strikers finishing.

Extreme hypothetical example but if a keeper makes no saves in a game & keeps a clean sheet is he better than a keeper that faces 20 excellent shots & 3 penalties but concedes 1 goal?

clint van damme

Believe me, in the right circles they do! That's why xG & particularly npxG will always be looked at when assessing a strikers finishing.

Extreme hypothetical example but if a keeper makes no saves in a game & keeps a clean sheet is he better than a keeper that faces 20 excellent shots & 3 penalties but concedes 1 goal?

Extremely hypothetical! But the first is better. But it's highly unlikely that a keeper keeping numerous clean sheets is going to be in that scenario more than once.

Frostie

Extremely hypothetical! But the first is better. But it's highly unlikely that a keeper keeping numerous clean sheets is going to be in that scenario more than once.
But then you're ruling out a player simply because he plays for a weaker team.
Is De Gea the best keeper in the Premier League?

Sky Blue Pete

The one save I knew I wasn’t worried about what would happen was a low shot on Saturday where Wilson just saved it held it and released it like a proper keeper

clint van damme

But then you're ruling out a player simply because he plays for a weaker team.
Is De Gea the best keeper in the Premier League?

But that's another aspect to it, you face more shots when playing for a weaker team so are bound to be called into action more.
I remember Oggy being singled out for praise by Wenger after pulling off several outstanding saves against Arsenal but we lost heavily and were under the cosh for 90 minutes.
Could a keeper from a weaker team step up and play in a team where he sees less action but needs to maintain concentration?

As for De Gea, I don't rate him that highly and I've said before I think in general the standard of keeping has really regressed. The world cup final featured Lloris and Martinez!

mark82

I’m sure there was a sizeable number on here who said he’d be sacked by Christmas and they wouldn’t go up because they’re hoofball merchants.

I didn't think it would work with Kompany as he was completely transforming their style of play. I was wrong. It's not so much that he's got them promoted comfortably, it's how they've done it.

clint van damme

Not wading into your debate with Frostie but just wanted to give this part a like separately.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

It's a civilised debate, the more the merrier!
I disagree with Frostie but not strongly, I totally see the points he's making.

Frostie

But that's another aspect to it, you face more shots when playing for a weaker team so are bound to be called into action more.
I remember Oggy being singled out for praise by Wenger after pulling off several outstanding saves against Arsenal but we lost heavily and were under the cosh for 90 minutes.
Could a keeper from a weaker team step up and play in a team where he sees less action but needs to maintain concentration?

As for De Gea, I don't rate him that highly and I've said before I think in general the standard of keeping has really regressed. The world cup final featured Lloris and Martinez!
Exactly, which is why we have so many other metrics nowadays that we can make a judgement on & average them out so we're comparing apples with apples as best we can.

Johansson faces more difficult shots, saves more shots, has a higher save % (awful stat by itself) etc. We can look at the Post Shot xG (chance that a shot on target should be scored) to assess how difficult saves are & then average it out. Johansson beats Wilson on every one & that's before we even look at the fact he successfully takes more crosses etc.

De Gea is an excellent shotstopper but his all round game is incredibly poor. He has the most Clean Sheets though so by your metric he's the best keeper? 🤷🏼‍♂️

On your last point, I think it's just that the game has changed so much. They need to be good at coming for crosses, good with their feet & probably the overall quality of finishing has improved too. Oggy wouldn't survive in today's game for example.

You are right to single out Lloris though. He is one of the most overrated keepers around for me & has been for years. Always has a clanger in him. Only Alisson & Ederson kept more Clean Sheets last season though so....

clint van damme

Exactly, which is why we have so many other metrics nowadays that we can make a judgement on & average them out so we're comparing apples with apples as best we can.

Johansson faces more difficult shots, saves more shots, has a higher save % (awful stat by itself) etc. We can look at the Post Shot xG (chance that a shot on target should be scored) to assess how difficult saves are & then average it out. Johansson beats Wilson on every one & that's before we even look at the fact he successfully takes more crosses etc.

De Gea is an excellent shotstopper but his all round game is incredibly poor. He has the most Clean Sheets though so by your metric he's the best keeper? 🤷🏼‍♂️

On your last point, I think it's just that the game has changed so much. They need to be good at coming for crosses, good with their feet & probably the overall quality of finishing has improved too. Oggy wouldn't survive in today's game for example.

You are right to single out Lloris though. He is one of the most overrated keepers around for me & has been for years. Always has a clanger in him. Only Alisson & Ederson kept more Clean Sheets last season though so....

I think the focus on being good with their feet is a huge factor.
As for does keeping the most clean sheets make you the best keeper, no.
But the same as scoriing the most goals doesn't neccessarily make you the best striker but its the over riding metric when they're giving out the end of season awards.

Frostie

I think the focus on being good with their feet is a huge factor.
As for does keeping the most clean sheets make you the best keeper, no.
But the same as scoriing the most goals doesn't neccessarily make you the best striker but its the over riding metric when they're giving out the end of season awards.
Completely agree on that. I think Gyok deserved it over Akpom but hey ho.

Legia Sky Blue

Anyone know much about Aaron Collins who won the League 1 player of the season award playing for Bristol Rovers? Is he someone that's worth us looking at bringing in?

Boosh

I know plenty of people on here religiously follow these ratings

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

It's you picking the argument.

Pipe down.
Is this going to be the second time in 2 days you’re trying to pick an argument for no reason? Data is useful yes, computerised player ratings are not

Pro Wrestling Sport GIF by ALL ELITE WRESTLING

Users who are viewing this thread