Drinking in the stands (1 Viewer)

torchomatic

People near me are up and down constantly as it is. Bloke in front of me must disappear off into the stands 4 or 5 times each half for tea, crisps, chocolate, hot dogs. You'd miss half the game with everyone going for beers as well.

I don't get the lot that go to their seats ten minutes after kick off and then ten minutes before half time.

torchomatic

Bloke blatantly vaping weed in block 24 last game.

I'm block 17 on the end of a row, so I guess he must be block 18. Fuck me, he's up and down vaping, standing there with his arms spread out like Jesus, usually with his top off, blocking the view of the people behind him.

Thank God, I'm not closer to him.

Kneeza

Mate I see both sides of this.

Twickenham for me is a terrible experience as there is no atmosphere - it's mainly corporate with the "fans" in the stand attending their only match of the season - so they can brag about it to their mates in the golf club on the Sunday. Different in League admittedly.

But as for more rugby fans getting arrested per capita - not so sure. What do I mean by that? I see lots of behaviour at football that would not go unpunished at let's say cricket or rugby. As a recent example, Millwall fans last Saturday racing down 20-30 steps en masse to hurl abuse and obscenities at a Lino just a couple of feet away - over a disputed foul in a fairly innocuous area of the pitch. In any other game they'd be thrown out and most likely face charges. So not sure it's a fair stat as anti social behaviour that would not be tolerated in most other areas of life - still happens to some extent at the football (albeit in a different ball park since the 70s/80s).
And that's why I never, ever go to internationals (and haven'tbeen to Twickenham in over 20 years. The RFU can go fuck themselves and their mothers. All about 'elite' rugby, and corporate dickheads.

Tommo1993

Sort of on the subject of pissed up dickhead City fans. At Millwall there was this guy next to me, off his tits quite clearly. Stretching his arms out for every bit of noise he made - most of it was West Ham related, strange. His hand was coming to within an inch of my face every time so I told him to fucking stop before he took my eye out. Him and his two mates went down to get some food after about twenty minutes, he came back up on his own, finished off his burger and went to sleep.

But yeah, doesn’t matter what time of the game it is, there’s always people knocking about and chilling in the concourse when I quickly nip for a jimmy. Seems like a total waste of money and time.

torchomatic

Sort of on the subject of pissed up dickhead City fans. At Millwall there was this guy next to me, off his tits quite clearly. Stretching his arms out for every bit of noise he made - most of it was West Ham related, strange. His hand was coming to within an inch of my face every time so I told him to fucking stop before he took my eye out. Him and his two mates went down to get some food after about twenty minutes, he came back up on his own, finished off his burger and went to sleep.

But yeah, doesn’t matter what time of the game it is, there’s always people knocking about and chilling in the concourse when I quickly nip for a jimmy. Seems like a total waste of money and time.

There was a guy asleep behind me at the last home game, wasn't his seat, just sat there at half time. He was leaning forward and his head was touching my back. I didn't want to touch him so told him to sit up and fuck off. He staggered away when the people who sat there came back just as the second half started.

Not sure why people spend the game pissed.

better days

Just reading the proposals
It's going to be piloted first so it will be interesting to see which clubs they use as pilots
I've got a lot of time for Tracy Crouch but not sure on her ideas on this one

wingy

Ha. Overrated.
And I never drink (anything) at the ground anyway.
Really pisses me off when people are in and out past me in my gangway seat. Just get your beer in before kick-off or drink it in the fckn bar! Twats.
Especially a two Pinter.

Terry_dactyl

Haha! Reminds me of the only time I went in in the main stand at HR. We were playing Everton last game of the season, think it was the year they beat Utd in the cup final.
We went in the main stand cos my dad bought my mum and sister, thinking it would be more sedate for them.
Anyway, we sat down and my old man was next to this really pissed Everton fan who did exactly what you described. The old man is not one to turn the other cheek. Some ‘grappling’ ensued.
Three things happened after that…the Everton fan apologised, we never went back to the main stand, and my mum and sister never saw city again.

duffer

Unfortunately it's a stone cold fact mate, doesn't matter if you're sure or not.

Sorry mate, but where's the evidence for this?

I did a bit of digging, but other than a Welsh BTP officer complaining about their rugby fans, there was nothing to back up this 'fact'.

I found an old newspaper article about arrests at Twickenham, 50 in five years.

How many arrestable offences took place in one day at Wembley in the Euros. Probably hundreds, though in terms of arrests on the day it looks like 86. The grounds hold similar numbers for those events.

If you're saying that rugby fans are as likely to be involved in violence and disorder as football fans, I'd have to say that's not been my experience, and I've attended both sports for a long time.

I've never been threatened when attending a rugby game, never seen the fans fighting amongst themselves, never seen groups of home fans leaving early on mass to get at away fans, never had a coin thrown at me (or brick, missed, but thank you West Ham!), never been spat at, never had to worry about wearing the wrong colour, never had anyone chucking beer all over the place deliberately. And so on. All of those things, I've only experienced at the footy.

Now you may not like rugby, that's fair enough, but with a rare exception there's no doubt in my mind about the difference in behaviour and attitude between the fans. (Edit: Not all footy fans obviously, but enough of a minority to make it noticeable. Everyone here is lovely, of course.) :)

I'd love to be able to have a pint whilst sat in my seat at the football, but I can also see why it might not be a great idea. Pity.

Last edited:

Kneeza

Sorry mate, but where's the evidence for this?

I did a bit of digging, but other than a Welsh BTP officer complaining about their rugby fans, there was nothing to back up this 'fact'.

I found an old newspaper article about arrests at Twickenham, 50 in five years.

How many arrestable offences took place in one day at Wembley in the Euros. Probably hundreds, though in terms of arrests on the day it looks like 86. The grounds hold similar numbers for those events.

If you're saying that rugby fans are as likely to be involved in violence and disorder as football fans, I'd have to say that's not been my experience, and I've attended both sports for a long time.

I've never been threatened when attending a rugby game, never seen the fans fighting amongst themselves, never seen groups of home fans leaving early on mass to get at away fans, never had a coin thrown at me (or brick, missed, but thank you West Ham!), never been spat at, never had to worry about wearing the wrong colour, never had anyone chucking beer all over the place deliberately. And so on. All of those things, I've only experienced at the footy.

Now you may not like rugby, that's fair enough, but with a rare exception there's no doubt in my mind about the difference in behaviour and attitude between the fans. (Edit: Not all footy fans obviously, but enough of a minority to make it noticeable. Everyone here is lovely, of course.) :)

I'd love to be able to have a pint whilst sat in my seat at the football, but I can also see why it might not be a great idea. Pity.
To be fair, I once had two old geezers come rolling past me on the Cowshed terrace, having what could only be described as a contretemps.
When they got to the bottom, neither having managed to land a punch, they got up to ironic cheers, glowered at each other, and went their separate ways.
I was also witness to the wife of a Wakefield player landing one on the father of the then Cov hooker David Addleton, up at their ground in about 2001 ish. Mind you, John could be quite spiky, so he probably asked for it (RIP John).
I also well recall a Police Constable coming into Coundon Road. Once. He stayed about five minutes.
Tough crowd, rugby people.

duffer

To be fair, I once had two old geezers come rolling past me on the Cowshed terrace, having what could only be described as a contretemps.
When they got to the bottom, neither having managed to land a punch, they got up to ironic cheers, glowered at each other, and went their separate ways.
I was also witness to the wife of a Wakefield player landing one on the father of the then Cov hooker David Addleton, up at their ground in about 2001 ish. Mind you, John could be quite spiky, so he probably asked for it (RIP John).
I also well recall a Police Constable coming into Coundon Road. Once. He stayed about five minutes.
Tough crowd, rugby people.

I never met his dad, but I don't know many people who'd try to punch Aggie. I can imagine his father was probably cut from similarly 'direct' cloth.

I think the biggest disturbance I've seen at the BPA was when a drunken eejit rugby tackled the mascot. That and some outrageous tutting when the service at the bar gets a bit slow. :)

Tommo1993

Well, last night for the second goal we were splattered in something that may have been beer. My old man got some right on his forehead. As my arms were up in the air, it caused my top to lift up a bit, resulting in some liquid go right down my arse crack. No joke. It’s a no from me.

Greggs

Well, last night for the second goal we were splattered in something that may have been beer. My old man got some right on his forehead. As my arms were up in the air, it caused my top to lift up a bit, resulting in some liquid go right down my arse crack. No joke. It’s a no from me.
get down the clinic mate

Kneeza

I never met his dad, but I don't know many people who'd try to punch Aggie. I can imagine his father was probably cut from similarly 'direct' cloth.

I think the biggest disturbance I've seen at the BPA was when a drunken eejit rugby tackled the mascot. That and some outrageous tutting when the service at the bar gets a bit slow. :)
The tutting at the bar should be a national sport. Cov fans would win the league every year.
John Addleton was a lovely man. Hated Bedford. Loved Old Deer Park (and always fancied buying a pad in Richmond).
He always used to pass the flask around on away trips, and always made sure my daughter (under drinking age at the time) got a swig. I had to pretend not to notice ;)
He always insisted that Dave should have hooked for Ireland instead of Keith Wood. Maybe slightly ott that, but, dads etc. Dave did make the Irish Exiles side though.
Such a sad day when that bastard cancer caught up with him.

Kneeza

Oh, and I remember the mascot incident too, although I can't recall who it was that day (either Claire, Nigel, or Mark Harrison. Possibly Claire iirc).
Whatever; went down like a sack of shit. Quite funny at the time, but I recall the Harrisons overdoing the outrage afterwards. Just like them though.

JAM See

Lets go full-on retro......the standing, drinking, smoking & dancing end where you can walk up & pay cash on the day for a dose of full on behind the goal mayhem.....marvellous ....

I honestly can't remember if there was a bar in the West End at HR when it was standing.

Used to get through a fair few fags though, and plenty of dancing...marvelous...

Users who are viewing this thread