Doug King's radio interview (1 Viewer)

Mucca Mad Boys

I didn't think it would be intentional, just people not thinking rationally.

Ever since I've been to football, the back rows have always been boisterous. Though I'm not sure I'd expect that in B18.

Tell them to come over to 15, more the merrier. It makes for a better atmosphere. There is usually people standing in my seats when I get up there. Never had an issue when telling them to make space or shift out, it's always friendly.
Safe standing in singer’s corner just makes sense.

2024/25 League 1 Champs?

Something about handing one person the power to forfeit a game feels off to me. Super unlikely but what’s to stop be going and being racist at a Leicester game to lose them the title. If it’s a crowd chanting or similar then yes 100% as the FA have failed to provide a safe working environment.

the fact you’d face a fine and legal action for one, surely??

mrtrench

Every game is filmed nowadays and individuals can be identified and banished. That targets the right people and is justifiable. I'm not sure any change is needed... It's not as if clubs or fellow fans can do anything to prevent it.

2024/25 League 1 Champs?

That would be my guess, 14-16 climbing on chairs. It's silly but I can't deny that I've done it. Safe standing would eliminate this too.

I’ve also see people climbing on seats at the end to get down and out quicker and have seen one snap before, and the guy went flying…

maybe a bit of that too

SBAndy

Its an extreme example. But the point is I feel punishing a club for just one fan isn’t proportionate. In this case where the fan has apparently had form the club should be fined and if it’s a wider issue then docked points/behind closed doors/etc.

And as I say if a player has been getting it consistently then I fully support the team walking off and forfeiture.

Just uncomfortable about cancelling the game if one person does something once then gets kicked out/leaves.

The line for me for punishing the entire club should be “have they failed to take reasonable steps to stop it happening?”

Taking this off at a tangent: I wonder if “behind closed doors” and refund/lack of is within the T&Cs of season tickets?

2024/25 League 1 Champs?

Well that would stop people entering the pitch and a whole host of other stuff people already do with no benefit to their team.

fair, although I don’t think it’s policed as strict, and the fines are fairly minimal in comparison…it’s almost accepted in some circumstances

also, being arrested for racism has a slightly different social stigma to a pitch invasion

Mucca Mad Boys

Something about handing one person the power to forfeit a game feels off to me. Super unlikely but what’s to stop be going and being racist at a Leicester game to lose them the title. If it’s a crowd chanting or similar then yes 100% as the FA have failed to provide a safe working environment.
Infantino’s response was an emotive reflex to a situation that’s terrible.

Logistically, is abandoning and forfeiting matches a good solution? I’d probably say not.

When these incidents happen, they need to be investigated. What would happen if a wrong decision was made?

Is that what the players want? I can’t put myself in the shoes who has to go through that abuse.

Clubs should be punished, especially where there’s repeat offenders - like Wednesday are. They need to be punished, games behind closed doors and possibly points deductions considered. On a club level, lifetime bans need to be issued.

I have no idea what the SWFC podcaster was on when he ranting about Palmer. Even if Palmer was ‘inciting’ fans - he wasn’t - there‘a no excuse for racism.

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

I didn't think it would be intentional, just people not thinking rationally.

Ever since I've been to football, the back rows have always been boisterous. Though I'm not sure I'd expect that in B18.

Tell them to come over to 15, more the merrier. It makes for a better atmosphere. There is usually people standing in my seats when I get up there. Never had an issue when telling them to make space or shift out, it's always friendly.

Well it’s definitely rife at the back of Block 17 and there is a risk of someone getting crushed when there’s two to one seat and someone stood on the chair all along the back row.

Nobody intentionally damaged the seats near me, but with the number of grown men and combined weight, unable to move in any direction, seats and people will get damaged.

The plastic of the seats wasn’t damaged but the metal railing connecting the seat to the back wall had buckled and snapped.

fernandopartridge

Yeah of course, I imagine we'd have already heard about it if they were ripped out and used as frisbees or whatever. 26 is still a lot though. Impossible to police, don't want to take the fun out of the corner (I assume that's where it happened) but also can't keep giving SAG/police an argument for reducing capacity.
Wonder what the anticipated working life of the seats was on installation?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

SBT

Its an extreme example. But the point is I feel punishing a club for just one fan isn’t proportionate. In this case where the fan has apparently had form the club should be fined and if it’s a wider issue then docked points/behind closed doors/etc.

And as I say if a player has been getting it consistently then I fully support the team walking off and forfeiture.

Just uncomfortable about cancelling the game if one person does something once then gets kicked out/leaves.

The line for me for punishing the entire club should be “have they failed to take reasonable steps to stop it happening?”
I understand the potential (in theory) to weaponise this kind of thing but tbh I have more sympathy with Kasey Palmer and his exasperation that nothing seems to ever change. Clearly the punishments for this stuff in football are totally inadequate and it’s long overdue they be tightened up. Football has been too cautious about this topic for too long - personally I don’t think now is the time for yet more caution based on some “extreme” hypotheticals.

I don’t expect any attempt at a solution to be perfect or fool-proof but the alternative of making it easier for the status quo to cling on is far worse imo.

pusbccfc

If Doug isn't happy about the seats, he needs to hurry up and sort the safe standing. It's been spoken about for 12 months now

shmmeee

I understand the potential (in theory) to weaponise this kind of thing but tbh I have more sympathy with Kasey Palmer and his exasperation that nothing seems to ever change. Clearly the punishments for this stuff in football are totally inadequate and it’s long overdue they be tightened up. Football has been too cautious about this topic for too long - personally I don’t think now is the time for yet more caution based on some “extreme” hypotheticals.

I don’t expect any attempt at a solution to be perfect or fool-proof but the alternative of making it easier for the status quo to cling on is far worse imo.

I’m not sure I buy “this is serious therefore anything is justified” TBH. It is serious. The correct action yesterday was what Palmer did, which is to get the guy pointed out. What the Milan keeper did was right as well as it wasn’t an isolated incident.

I just think human nature is if you hand professional sports people the ability to claim a default victory on their say so you’re gonna have a bad time.

Reactions: KAB

pusbccfc

We don’t own the ground. Perhaps Doug is not the block on this subject?

I don't think it's Fraser's wasting time on it. Having safe standing won't change anything for them, especially in the corner and behind the goal which isn't used during gigs.

Sky Blue Pete

Disappointing to hear there were 26 seats broken in the HOME end v Leicester. It's that sort of behaviour that will have the SAG pushing for more segregation again.
Just daft prats being prats and will the first to say what do the club spend our money on?

SBT

I’m not sure I buy “this is serious therefore anything is justified” TBH. It is serious. The correct action yesterday was what Palmer did, which is to get the guy pointed out. What the Milan keeper did was right as well as it wasn’t an isolated incident.

I just think human nature is if you hand professional sports people the ability to claim a default victory on their say so you’re gonna have a bad time.
I think “anything is justified” is a pretty bad faith interpretation of what I’m saying.

If your view is that the current system is working fine, and any future attempts to improve it need to be tempered by extreme and far-fetched hypotheticals then don’t be too surprised if things stay bad like Palmer expects.

Calista

I agree. Collective punishment for individual behaviour doesn't seem right, but punishment for corporate/club negligence is justifiable.

South West Sky Blue

The overriding point re racism:
We all have a responsibility to call it out…..individually and collectively.
👍
100%.
Not just on racism. On several other matters to do with criminal actions taken by “fans”. How many here would happily tell stewards / police about coked up morons, identify hooliganism to police.
If we don’t police ourselves (I understand many are uncomfortable to do so) then it just gets worse.

Only last season on here there was a consensus about not sharing a video in London involving our fans, or identifying them.
I accept there can be extreme circumstances where you may not be able to “grass”, but I’d quite happily do so to improve the match day experience, lower police costs, improve the image of our club……and that’s before you even look at the moral side.

(Gets off high horse….)

bigfatronssba

I used to sit last seat on the end of the right hand side of block 16 till last season, not my scene anymore tbh - Realised it wasn't for me anymore when I saw someone tip an avalanche of coke onto their phone after we scored against Blues last season :ROFLMAO:

This is where the old social class system from Highfield Road needs to be revived for the Arena. Everyone knew where they would fit in with that.

West Terrace - Scum class

Family Stand - Chavs who had about 10 kids each but wanted to keep their noses clean

East Stand - Old fashioned working class blokes. Got the sack from Standard Triumph in 1981 and had been doing casual work at Owen Owen’s ever since

Sky Blue Stand home area - Same blokes as the East Stand but got a decent job after leaving Standard Triumph, but no longer wanted to be associated with those they used to work with.

Main Stand - Snooty bunch from Finham. Will join in with the occasional chant, but otherwise wants nothing to do with the people in the rest of the ground

Hertsccfc

Peer pressure could be powerful at some point and people should be ok to speak up and report or challenge but what happens when that eventually escalates and the innocent fan gets battered by the idiot or a group of fans believe they have the right to beat up the idiot.

Needs a lot of thinking through but retrospective action on teams who persist and repeat should warrant some form of punishment, I know that affects so many innocent fans but take Wednesday, this isnt their first instance this year and I am sure on a west ham fan vlog who is in the home end when sheaf gets his second, Palmer runs past and is waving at the crowd someone shouts a racial slur at him.
Also footage of coin being thrown at the end - need to manage this with evidence and deal with accordingly
I agree on your first point on crowds self policing. Whilst I would hope fellow fans would report and challenge such behaviour I don't think it is their responsibility to stop it and put themselves at risk. Ultimately upholding the law is for the police who are paid relatively well to do so.

Generally I am not keen on clubs being sanctioned because of the actions of individual supporters or groups of supporters. However, I do think action should be taken where the club fails to take action in response and indeed to try to prevent such incidents. Where clubs have had repeated incidents and cannot prove that they have done all they can to address the issue then fines and points reductions should be considered.

bigfatronssba

The overriding point re racism:
We all have a responsibility to call it out…..individually and collectively.
👍

Only up to a point.

It’s easy to be all pious about this, but a family with kids wanting to enjoy the game does not have a responsibility to take on some racist yobs.

All this talk of playing behind closed doors is a nonsense as well. Pretty sure collective punishment is considered to be a war crime

Sky Blue Harry H

He's right, it's the only way it will stop. Much as I hate the thought of innocent fans being punished for the actions of a minority of morons there really is no other way.

Not sure about this. Let's say we needed to win the last game of the season away at Leicester / wherever. You could get a Cov fan go in amongst the away fans, 'act the twat' and get the game forfeited with us getting the 3 points as a result. May sound an extreme example, but it only takes one person - you could even bribe a person to do it (and there are enough oddballs out there to do it). Sounds ludicrous, but look at all the incidents over the years where corruption has reared its ugly head. Just hammer the individual, with a fine for the club.

SBT

Not sure about this. Let's say we needed to win the last game of the season away at Leicester / wherever. You could get a Cov fan go in amongst the away fans, 'act the twat' and get the game forfeited with us getting the 3 points as a result. May sound an extreme example, but it only takes one person - you could even bribe a person to do it (and there are enough oddballs out there to do it). Sounds ludicrous, but look at all the incidents over the years where corruption has reared its ugly head. Just hammer the individual, with a fine for the club.
It’s a ridiculous scenario that would almost certainly never happen.

And regardless, the fact that fans aren’t willing to even countenance the idea of tougher measures on racist abuse if it meant the result of one game was unfairly impacted says it all about why progress is so slow. I think we need to be less concerned about someone trying to ruin Leicester’s imaginary title parade, and more concerned with the reality of players getting racially abused on the job.

bigfatronssba

Simple fact is this is the authorities trying to pass the book.

Police and stewards are employed to identify this type of behaviour. If they aren’t doing their job properly then it isn’t up to the fans to do it for them.

If someone misbehaves then they should be removed and if necessary banned. All through the correct channels and using laws that already exist.

I’m not going to allow myself to become responsible for policing the behaviour of other grown adults at a football match.

Sky Blue Harry H

It’s a ridiculous scenario that would almost certainly never happen.

And regardless, the fact that fans aren’t willing to even countenance the idea of tougher measures on racist abuse if it meant the result of one game was unfairly impacted says it all about why progress is so slow. I think we need to be less concerned about someone trying to ruin Leicester’s imaginary title parade, and more concerned with the reality of players getting racially abused on the job.

I'm all for tougher measures - just saying that it's harsh for a club to be punished for individual idiots. Like the pitch invaders that seemed to happen at the CBS last season (we'd have all been furious if we'd missed out on the play offs due to a pitch incursion/points deduction - as would the players) Hammer the individuals, and fine clubs if there are repeat occurrences.

SAJ

Simple fact is this is the authorities trying to pass the book.

Police and stewards are employed to identify this type of behaviour. If they aren’t doing their job properly then it isn’t up to the fans to do it for them.

If someone misbehaves then they should be removed and if necessary banned. All through the correct channels and using laws that already exist.

I’m not going to allow myself to become responsible for policing the behaviour of other grown adults at a football match.
So you would be happy for some twat to smash up your car be witnessed by a neighbour and them say fuck all.

Reactions: SBT

SBT

I'm all for tougher measures - just saying that it's harsh for a club to be punished for individual idiots. Like the pitch invaders that seemed to happen at the CBS last season (we'd have all been furious if we'd missed out on the play offs due to a pitch incursion/points deduction - as would the players) Hammer the individuals, and fine clubs if there are repeat occurrences.
Personally I am pro-harsh punishments for racist abuse coming from the stands

bigfatronssba

So you would be happy for some twat to smash up your car be witnessed by a neighbour and them say fuck all.

If the alternative was my neighbour getting stabbed for confronting them, yes absolutely.

Calista

This is where the old social class system from Highfield Road needs to be revived for the Arena. Everyone knew where they would fit in with that.

West Terrace - Scum class

Family Stand - Chavs who had about 10 kids each but wanted to keep their noses clean

East Stand - Old fashioned working class blokes. Got the sack from Standard Triumph in 1981 and had been doing casual work at Owen Owen’s ever since

Sky Blue Stand home area - Same blokes as the East Stand but got a decent job after leaving Standard Triumph, but no longer wanted to be associated with those they used to work with.

Main Stand - Snooty bunch from Finham. Will join in with the occasional chant, but otherwise wants nothing to do with the people in the rest of the ground
Anything autobiographical in there bigfatronssba?

Users who are viewing this thread