Doug King Interview (1 Viewer)

Grendel

That’s not how property deals work. Just because you can raise fund to buy a stadium doesn’t mean you can to buy Sergio Costalot for £5m.

He didn't actually put any money in for the stadium

Mucca Mad Boys

So what did he actually say?
The main takeaways for me were:
- Denounced racist abuse of Dabo and said he’d work with EFL/authorities
- 3-5 seasons to be in the playoffs
- Club needs to raise more revenue which we’re trying to do with a reference to the Premier League package

I think that’s it. Jim White and Simon Jordan spoke about Mel Morris at Derby and made a parallel between King and Jordan when he was at Palace. More generally spoke about how well run clubs can punch above their weight i.e. Luton and Cov.

The segment seemed to be transitioning to Luton and their success story and then I stopped listening!

Briles

I would much rather spend sensibly than for the sake of it. Robins aint the manager to do that and King doesn't strike me as the kind of owner to do that. Expectations are rightly high after this season but some fans will need grounding after last season Next season will be just as hard as the last

Mucca Mad Boys

Charlton are probably the best example. A long serving manager who sold one to buy two or three and improve the club as a whole. Took them time to get established, but they did. All went wrong when said manager left mind you, so best stick with Robins!
Thankfully, Robins’ stock is v high with Doug King and the fans so there’ll be a lot of patience with any setbacks next season - should it come to that.

I don’t think Robins will leave either. We’re very clearly a good fit for one another. Looking at Nathan Jones and Ainsworth who have been on similar journeys, his best bet is to stay put.

NorthernWisdom

Thankfully, Robins’ stock is v high with Doug King and the fans so there’ll be a lot of patience with any setbacks next season - should it come to that.

I don’t think Robins will leave either. We’re very clearly a good fit for one another. Looking at Nathan Jones and Ainsworth who have been on similar journeys, his best bet is to stay put.
I do fear that expectation may have been overly raised - we'll see. One 'perk' of us falling down the leagues is we lost the sense of entitlement we seemed to have gained, became a lot more grounded.

alexccfc99

Think some fans are in for a rude awakening and will be shocked as to how limited our spending power actually is - People seemed to be under the impression we’ve been taken over by an oligarch

It’s clear Doug has a strategy in place and Robins has brought into it, he’s committed the next 4 years to us so he must be on board - Whether people want to buy into it is their prerogative I guess

Mucca Mad Boys

I do fear that expectation may have been overly raised - we'll see. One 'perk' of us falling down the leagues is we lost the sense of entitlement we seemed to have gained, became a lot more grounded.
There was a sense of ‘we shouldn’t be here’ on Saturday. Whereas when we went down to L1 it was v typical for people to say how shit the league was (it is) and that we should be competing for the Prem. On no basis whatsoever.

Robins is a cult hero atm, it would have to take a few disasters for him to get sacked.

blunted

Don't think he is a sugar daddy with loads of cash but apart from penalty shootout he looks to be lucky (see Napoleon plagiarised by Graham Taylor). We need stability and the leeway to allow the management team to work their magic. The further up the football tree we get the harder it is to work miracles but I think the club is in a good place at the moment. We are a year behind Luton and it would not surprise me if we are challenging next year.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Think some fans are in for a rude awakening and will be shocked as to how limited our spending power actually is - People seemed to be under the impression we’ve been taken over by an oligarch

It’s clear Doug has a strategy in place and Robins has brought into it, he’s committed the next 4 years to us so he must be on board - Whether people want to buy into it is their prerogative I guess
The impression for me is we’re not being hamstrung like we have been for the last few years.

if Doug wants play offs 3 of the next 5 years - surely he knows he has to give us the chance to compete.

if Robins is working with a fuck all still, then we’re not better off then we were with SISU

GaryPendrysEyes

I’ve not come across anyone expecting large net investment from Doug King.
Most just want reinvestment of most the money from sales into the squad and some decent visibility of the plan.
What I don’t want to see is lightweight squad investment and some nebulous ‘infrastructure investment ’ talk with no real detail or costs attached to it.

torchomatic

Is it reasonable to ask the guy to put £10m into squad investment when he's just bought the club for who knows how many million?

Yes, it bloody is or there's no point in owning a football club.

torchomatic

I would much rather spend sensibly than for the sake of it. Robins aint the manager to do that and King doesn't strike me as the kind of owner to do that. Expectations are rightly high after this season but some fans will need grounding after last season Next season will be just as hard as the last

It's a fine balance. Yes, we need to spend sensibly, but similarly we need to do well, otherwise those who "believe" after the success of 22/23 will drift off again. Then, it'll be back to the core of 10/15K again. We can't afford to do that.

Grendel

We really don't know how wealthy he is. Is it reasonable to ask the guy to put £10m into squad investment when he's just bought the club for who knows how many million?

Doubt he paid anything for the club frankly

Of course you’d expect him to - we lose £4m a year so he’d better be putting money in

Johnnythespider

Doubt he paid anything for the club frankly

Of course you’d expect him to - we lose £4m a year so he’d better be putting money in
Could he be paying the interest on the Sisu loans which is the extra Robins has to spend, and the reason for the "initially debt free" comments

bigfatronssba

Him and Robins are not idiots. They know if we’re to be challenging for the play offs that we’ll need some investment.
If it’s slow and steady, with player sale revenue being reinvested back into the team, then I’m happy with it.

He talks a lot about a sustainable business model. Selling assets to pay running costs is not sustainable. That is how we got into trouble in the first place. So I doubt that is his plan.

pusbccfc

It's a fine balance. Yes, we need to spend sensibly, but similarly we need to do well, otherwise those who "believe" after the success of 22/23 will drift off again. Then, it'll be back to the core of 10/15K again. We can't afford to do that.

It is a shame our 'new' fans from the past 2 months don't stay and enjoy the Championship and the long list of big clubs we will be playing every week.

ajl

The main takeaways for me were:
- Denounced racist abuse of Dabo and said he’d work with EFL/authorities
- 3-5 seasons to be in the playoffs
- Club needs to raise more revenue which we’re trying to do with a reference to the Premier League package

I think that’s it. Jim White and Simon Jordan spoke about Mel Morris at Derby and made a parallel between King and Jordan when he was at Palace. More generally spoke about how well run clubs can punch above their weight i.e. Luton and Cov.

The segment seemed to be transitioning to Luton and their success story and then I stopped listening!
So has he changed already from promotion within 5 years, to now saying playoffs within 5 years?

Or am I getting his words mixed up

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

quinn1971

So has he changed already from promotion within 5 years, to now saying playoffs within 5 years?

Think he said he expects us to be in the play off at least 3 times in the next 5 years

Deity

So what did he actually say?
He said what you would expect him to say …. Parachute payments distort the league, we need more revenue to close the gap, we invested early in his tenure on recruitment and have a plan. For this window. He knows that the government white paper might accelerate the reduction in the financial gaps between clubs in the same league but knows it’s not a given and therefore will plan accordingly …..
All very sensible and measured.

Nothing alarmist or unrealistic so no idea why the silly reaction from some on here ….

The positive fan reaction to King is a little larger than you might expect at this stage of his tenure but that is due to 4 things:

The halo effect of our run to Wembley
Not selling our best players in January
Listening ti the fans over season tickets
Speaking well and with confidence

none of us know how his reign will go but I’m more confident in King than I was SISU, McGinnity, et al so let’s give him time and support.

Finham

No he has always said Playoffs.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

He said what you would expect him to say …. Parachute payments distort the league, we need more revenue to close the gap, we invested early in his tenure on recruitment and have a plan. For this window. He knows that the government white paper might accelerate the reduction in the financial gaps between clubs in the same league but knows it’s not a given and therefore will plan accordingly …..

Nothing alarmist or unrealistic so no idea why the silly reaction from some on here ….

The positive fan reaction to King is a little larger than you might expect at this stage of his tenure but that is due to 4 things:

none of us know how his reign will go but I’m more confident in King than I was SISU, McGinnity, et al so let’s give him time and support.
I’ll give him time and support. but we’ll need to see where we’re at on August 31st.

he can’t say play offs 3 times out of next 5 years and give Robins 2 pints of lager and a packet of crisps to improve the playing squad

Finham

Deity

If we get into the play offs 3 out of next 5 seasons we will mostly be watching winning football.
We all want the Premier League but failing that then the next best thing is winning football player attractively.

Mucca Mad Boys

Promotion via the playoffs. Was pragmatic about challenging for autos - he made a few points about footballing governance and money filtering down from the Prem.

Deity

The 2 most important things that give me encouragement are the fact he has built his businesses on data / evidence based decisions and plans to with Coventry City and that hunkering down to manage your cost base isn’t a strategy that can work in a competitive league.

both statements of the obvious that Sisu ignored for years ….

Robinshio

I think the big thing missed is where Doug mentioned that MR knows what is expected of him in terms of performance

Users who are viewing this thread