Dol-y-Moch - Planned Closure (1 Viewer)

duffer

Just in case this one has passed you by, I thought it might be worth making people aware that the Council are working hard behind the scenes to close down Dol-y-Moch.

For those who haven't been there, Dol-y-Moch is an outdoor education centre in North Wales that's been used by Coventry children for decades.

For some children, going to Dol-y-Moch is life-changing. It was for me. I was a working-class kid from Tile Hill. It was the first time that I'd hiked, climbed, canoed or spent any time anywhere that wasn't either in the city or at Skegness, or in Weston-super-Mare! It was the first time that I'd been away from my family overnight.

In less than a week I got a lifetime love of the mountains and came home with a confidence that actually, I could look after myself. I found that being a bit, cold, wet or even scared, wasn't in itself something to be afraid of. In fact, with a bit of support from the staff there, it was the best thing I'd ever done. I grew up a bit, basically.

I can't understand why anyone would want to take that away from kids - especially kids from poorer backgrounds, like I was.

The Council are doing all this on the back of a 'closed consultation'.

The claim is that the centre is losing money, which is true during the Covid period, but prior to this the centre has run at a surplus.

The council has of course, been able to find far greater funds to support other loss-making businesses, notably Coombe Abbey Hotel. I don't remember ever being invited to stay there as a child.

A £1.6m arts centre at Ikea might make for an interesting day trip for some schoolkids, but I just don't think it'll have the same impact somehow.

There's no doubt in my mind that the Council would like to do this as quietly and secretly as possible, so as to avoid awkward challenges just before the local elections.

I might not be able to change their decision - it feels like it's already been made. But for some of us that vote, and many that also share happy memories of Dol-y-Moch, that decision might at least have some consequences.

eastwoodsdustman

I never went as a kid but I’ve been 4 times as a parent/helper and echo what duffer says, it is great for all the kids (and parent/helpers) that go!
Yet again the city council are riding roughshod over the electorate. Shame on them.

shmmeee

Ridiculous. Went twice as a kid and both were lifelong memories and taught me something about myself. My eldest was due to go this year but obviously couldn’t. She’s gutted.

Is there an organised resistance to this? At the very least I’ll write to my councillor.

Seamus1

...and at the same time stumping up £5 million to bail out Birmingham Airport (which actively sort to prevent a Coventry business from growing)

SkyBlueCharlie9

Oh that is such a shame especially for deprived kids from inner city cov. Such a beautiful place and great memories.

pastythegreat

shmmeee

Thought it was a restructure rather than a closure

Reading that it’s a change to more commercial focus, “to help families who can’t afford it” then in the next breath says they’re looking at doing it in the city again. The entire point is it’s not in the city. You’re taking city kids somewhere they’ve never been.

Confused.

Sky Blue Pete

Reading that it’s a change to more commercial focus, “to help families who can’t afford it” then in the next breath says they’re looking at doing it in the city again. The entire point is it’s not in the city. You’re taking city kids somewhere they’ve never been.

Confused.
Yep I have a teacher friend who’s on it I’ll share

shmmeee

OK, what private stuff is there like this? I want my daughter to get a similar experience. Do we have summer camps here or anything?

Greggs

Went there as a kid and had to stay indoors because I got excited on the first night and let off a fire extinguisher. True story.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Sadly never went, but i was in the scouts so did a lot of similar stuff there. I assume they still own Rough Close?

duffer

Just to pop back in, the Council are pitching this as a consultation about restructuring and moving to a more 'commercial' mode. But it's a far more significant change than that, and closure either now, or at a later date is patently not off the table.

If you set Dol-y-Moch up to fail by insisting it's run on a 'commercial' basis, then that's just one step closer to eventual closure based on the fact that's it isn't turning a profit.

And again, it's also based on a false premise. Dol-y-Moch in normal times runs at a surplus - in effect it gives money back to the Council.

There are other places that do this kind of stuff, but by definition if they're near Coventry they're not going to be in the mountains. 'Commercial' operations don't have the kind of teaching experience (gained over decades at Dol-y-Moch) to bring the best out of the kids - and typically of course they are far more expensive. They won't be passing their surpluses back to the Council either.

duffer

Also, just to add, with other local Councils closing their centres - if you really wanted to get more money out of Dol-y-Moch, you'd market its services to them.

It's got a great USP in business terms - experienced, teacher-led, outdoor education, designed specifically for schools.

Why the Council won't consider this as an option before rushing into a 'commercial restructure' on the quiet, is also beyond me.

Sky Blue Pete

From a teacher colleague

Yes Pete. It’s a horrible mess and our councillors are letting us down badly by not challenging it. In a nutshell a certain officer in the council has pushed for changes at the top of outdoor education to become more ‘commercially minded. ‘
Until this year DYM has never lost money. The first step is to make the Head and Deputy of outdoor Ed redundant. The Head.. Alistair was the ex head of DyM. His dep is Sarah... the nicest person you could meet. They are both hardworking and full of experience but they will be replaced by unqualified marketing people. As part of step one the council has also given up its license to run DofE ... which massively affects our group as we are their group (they informed us by email two weeks ago).

Step two is to open dym all year. Which means teacher posts will be ‘replaced’ by instructors and it will no longer be an ‘education’ centre. The strain on the building will be too great.

Step 3... they are clearly heading for closure and moving the service to the city (I suspect coombe abbey).
I am v annoyed !

NorthernWisdom

What I do find funny
Also, just to add, with other local Councils closing their centres - if you really wanted to get more money out of Dol-y-Moch, you'd market its services to them.

It's got a great USP in business terms - experienced, teacher-led, outdoor education, designed specifically for schools.

Why the Council won't consider this as an option before rushing into a 'commercial restructure' on the quiet, is also beyond me.
The logical answer would surely be Warks and Cov would pool resources and keep one open of the two.

As an aside, I do find it mildly amusing that in Warks, a Conservative council moves to close Marle Hall. Labour politicians rebel against it, say they'd fund it properly... meanwhile, in Coventry, Labour threaten their existence, while Conservative politicians rebel against it, say they'd fund it properly.

Guess it's easy to say what plays well when in opposition...

shmmeee

I went there twice, had my first french kiss there also. Does anybody remember the night line? really enjoyed the whole experience (especially the tuck shop).

When I became a teacher I met someone who swore they (as a teacher) pissed on the night line before the class he didn’t like went on it.

shmmeee

They’re going to turn it into PGL/Camp Crusoe.

Fucking shame. This is why we can’t have nice things.

Il Pirata

I went once in year 6 of junior school, and then stayed there again some years later in my second year of A-levels to study coastal erosion at nearby Criccieth and Harlech.

Great memories from going as a young kid. First time I'd ever abseiled or zip-lined, first time I've ever canoed was there down the Dwyryd. I remember our group getting lost (in other words we wandered off) in the woods during orienteering behind the main house, and ending up with the farmer having to call in to have us picked up. I remember the ghost stories we would come up with at night and the smell of the main building and the stable blocks. It was a great adventure, something that most of us had never experienced before, and those kind of experiences built character and confidence at that age. They stick with you for life.

It'll be a sad day if a place like Plas Dol-y-Moch is not available to other Coventry kids for years to come.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I never went myself. Dunno why, but I remember loads of mates saying they'd been and bloody loved it. That's going back to the early 1960's!

Mr Panda

I think I've been three times.

Nightline was amazing as a kid, so was the raft building and exploring slate mines. Lots of memories I won't forget and agree with the OP, found a new confidence in myself being out there as such a young kid.

Hope it stays, it's got so much to offer.

I detest how confident the labour majority of our council are in their seats. I've never been able to find much rationale to give them my vote in recent years - especially having ties to this club.

Marty

Never been but our school did Alton Castle instead, which was amazing, same kind of thing but we got a full day in an empty Alton towers too. It's a shame that the kids will stop experiencing this kind of thing. New experience for kids and runs at a surplus, what's not to like about it. I'm convinced this council couldn't run a bath. Bunch of useless cunts.

chiefdave

There's an article on the CT site today about this. Didn't realise that idiot Maton had been put in charge of education, who made that genius decision?

Article says Taiwo Owatemi, Coventry NW MP, has had reassurances from Maton but when you read the details thats only that it won't be closed completely.

Users who are viewing this thread