Dogecoin (2 Viewers)

jimmyhillsfanclub

I know. Still ain't tempted.

Fair play. I certainly wouldn't be putting £40K into dodge coin like Evo1883s mate......he's either got balls of steel or more money than sense....

The only reason I'd invest in dodgecoin is so I could actually say "its time to get the fuck out of dodge" when I sold.

I've only got relatively small punts still riding on some minor cryptos......IOTA is still my pick as far the technology side of things goes.....I think.

I've taken my eye off it to be honest......but if IOTA, XLM or EOS ever take off....I'll be rolling in it.

Marty

Plenty of space in a well diversified portfolio for something high risk like crypto, every chance it goes back to being worthless, but I think the risks are greater for not getting involved and having a punt.

Re: the mother in law, if she decided to buy something like Pokémon cards, you'd be sitting on an absolute fortune now.

mrtrench

Plenty of space in a well diversified portfolio for something high risk like crypto, every chance it goes back to being worthless, but I think the risks are greater for not getting involved and having a punt.

Re: the mother in law, if she decided to buy something like Pokémon cards, you'd be sitting on an absolute fortune now.

Sadly, she played with all her Pokémon cards so they're no longer pristine. :(

D

Deleted member 4439

On that basis, I assume you have some bullion as well.

D

Deleted member 4439

For crypto specifically, I think Coinbase might be worth exploring as it has wider exposure than etoro, and could allow you to get in early into any up and coming hype. Unfortunately I don't have any of the photo ID required to get verified (which includes my expired passport - coinbase checked the date, whereas etoro didn't/ignored it, heh).

Evo1883

Turns out he sold a day early , it reached 48 p today so missed out on a bit of money

Grendel

TM8792

Laughed at my mate when he put 40k into dogecoin at 4 pence a pop

Today he cashed out at 42 pence a pop

Bet he's having a Chinese tonight 🤣
Bloody hell.

Although I’m assuming if you’ve got a spare £40k to throw into doge, a literal meme coin, then money isn’t much of a worry to you.

I’ve been holding xrp for years, up about 800% on my initial investment at current prices.

hill83

For crypto specifically, I think Coinbase might be worth exploring as it has wider exposure than etoro, and could allow you to get in early into any up and coming hype. Unfortunately I don't have any of the photo ID required to get verified (which includes my expired passport - coinbase checked the date, whereas etoro didn't/ignored it, heh).

I use Coinbase. Reviews aren’t great but been ok for me.

D

Deleted member 4439

Gold starting to move again. Whether it goes to the moon is another matter :)

Sbarcher

Having quite a game to get verified on Coinbase. I moved last year and didn't update my driver licence so my bank details address does not align with the address on my licence.Only facial ID verification can be used. Same with my passport - grrrrrr.

Marty

if57j03itsl61.jpg

D

Deleted member 4439

In my, very possibly crude and muddled thinking:

Crytos can be objectively valued by the fiat money price of the goods and services a unit can command. This is the intrinsic value of the instrument.

Fiat money can be objectively valued by the fiat money price of the goods and services a unit can command. This is the intrinsic value of the instrument.

Just that one is more volatile than the other.

No idea, haven't read around, just musing.

mrtrench

In my, very possibly crude and muddled thinking:

Crytos can be objectively valued by the fiat money price of the goods and services a unit can command. This is the intrinsic value of the instrument.

Fiat money can be objectively valued by the fiat money price of the goods and services a unit can command. This is the intrinsic value of the instrument.

Just that one is more volatile than the other.

No idea, haven't read around, just musing.

Hmmm... I'm by no means an expert on this. I worked in banking but building IT systems, so probably on the same level as you with questions such as this.

However, in my opinion, fiat money has no intrinsic value at all, unless it is guaranteed by something that people trust. So GBP has value because we trust the Bank of England. The only thing that's keeping crypto alive is that we believe that it is in a predefined limited supply and that it is exchangeable for goods. And it's volatile because there is no 'gilt-edged' guarantor in the background and it's become trendy. And also...

The fx rate on both boils down to supply and demand. GBP supply is variable and so is demand. Whilst the BoE has no explicit mandate to keep the value (fx rate) in a set range, it has an implicit mandate to do so - because it must keep inflation within set bounds (and the fx rate moving around in a volatile manner would cause inflation to do the same - not a responsible way to run an economy).

But with crypto, there is no variable supply and there is no body with a mandate to control the fx rate or inflation. It's not linked to any economy and hence there is not even a desire to see the volatility controlled. And as there is no economy to protect behind it, it's built on sand. Only the people who speculated lose out if it disappeared tomorrow. And they (hopefully) realised that this could happen at any time.

EDIT: It's really not that different to beanie babies.

Last edited:

ccfcricoh

i got into cryptocurrency back in November which it turns out was just in time, with the 3 i picked (after a couple of hours Googling!) two up over 500% and one over 1300%.

Its so volatile its not for the feint hearted, can easily lose 50% in a day but then the gains can match it too! Some are more short term and some long term.

I bought some Doge once it started trending on Twitter and thats also up a bit now, Elon Musk is presenting Saturday Night Live in the US tomorrow, and is expected/could make comment about DOGE, and we all know what happens when he mentions something, the question is whether this is already factored into the price!

So it may not be too late to get involved.

The other one still with potential is XRP Ripple. They are currently at court with the SEC but are expecting to win their case and if they do that could boost their price.

All fun and games, but its definitely a gamble!

One good thing about Etoro is you can also "copy" other investors who trade on all sorts of markets, so effectively its a free financial advisor, thats where my "long" term money is sat.

Sbarcher

i got into cryptocurrency back in November which it turns out was just in time, with the 3 i picked (after a couple of hours Googling!) two up over 500% and one over 1300%.

Its so volatile its not for the feint hearted, can easily lose 50% in a day but then the gains can match it too! Some are more short term and some long term.

I bought some Doge once it started trending on Twitter and thats also up a bit now, Elon Musk is presenting Saturday Night Live in the US tomorrow, and is expected/could make comment about DOGE, and we all know what happens when he mentions something, the question is whether this is already factored into the price!

So it may not be too late to get involved.

The other one still with potential is XRP Ripple. They are currently at court with the SEC but are expecting to win their case and if they do that could boost their price.

All fun and games, but its definitely a gamble!

One good thing about Etoro is you can also "copy" other investors who trade on all sorts of markets, so effectively its a free financial advisor, thats where my "long" term money is sat.
How easy is it to get your money out when selling? Seen some stuff which suggests it's a bit of a job.

ccfcricoh

How easy is it to get your money out when selling? Seen some stuff which suggests it's a bit of a job.
Havent got that far yet, currently just left it all in there. that will be just my luck i cant get it out!!!

Think there is a small admin fee and it can take a week or so to get your money by reading the FAQs though.

D

Deleted member 4439

What a frustrating afternoon. For a week now I've been waiting for a year long savings investment to mature, with the intention of putting it into gold. All week, gold has been around £1272-88. Come today, when the money was available, the poor payroll figures had bumped it up to £1313. Typical says I, but go to buy.

Not a total surprise but the card was declined as a fraud prevention measure. I spent what seemed an absolute eternity on the phone to Lloyds to get the transaction cleared - I mean an eternity.

Despite this the card still wasn't being verified. I then found out I could a bank transfer instead. Meanwhile gold is now £1318, but ordered placed.

Go through all of the online login malarkey with the banks, complete all of the transaction details, asked to confirm with my password. A big red banner comes up (still in my Lloyds account) saying something along the lines of " are you sure you want to do this?", I click yes, and it says "we need to ring you to confirm" (automated call), go through that, fucking done after an hour.

Get a confirmation back from the bullion dealers saying they've received the funds but as it's over a certain amount they'll need either a passport or driving licence photographic ID.

I don't have either.

No wonder an independent crypto is the future.

Last edited by a moderator:

clint van damme

What a frustrating afternoon. For a week now I'm been waiting for a year long savings investment to mature, with the intention of putting it into gold. All week, gold has been around £1272-88. Come today, when the money was available, the poor payroll figures had bumped it up to £1313. Typical says I, but go to buy.

Not a total surprise but the card was declined as a fraud prevention measure. I spent what seemed an absolute eternity on the phone to Lloyds to get the transaction cleared - I mean an eternity.

Despite this the card still wasn't being verified. I then found out I could a bank transfer instead. Meanwhile gold is now £3118, but ordered placed.

Go through all of the online login malarkey with the banks, complete all of the transaction details, asked to confirm with my password. A big red banner comes up (still in my Lloyds account) saying something along the lines of " are you sure you want to do this?", I click yes, and it says "we need to ring you to confirm" (automated call), go through that, fucking done after an hour.

Get a confirmation back from the bullion dealers saying they've received the funds but as it's over a certain amount they'll need either a passport or driving licence photographic ID.

I don't have either.

No wonder an independent crypto is the future.

The gold prices youre giving are per what? Ounce?

Users who are viewing this thread