Does Leon Clarke need a strike Partner? (1 Viewer)

dongonzalos

Geez. This was what 19-20? Games ago (all competitions). Tried it from the start against Sc-unithorpe and we were bloody awful..he has tried it and said this week it doesn't suit our players

We challenged our Facebook and Twitter followers to come up with their own questions for Coventry City boss Mark Robins.

Wayne Matthews asked: “Are you going to bring in a striker? Leon is not a lone striker – we saw that Thursday night.”

Robins said: “The dynamic of the team has changed and I think people should let me develop that. We want to play football and 4-4-2 is not something we are massively suited to.

"We can do it but I think we are more suited to the way that we play because it promotes us passing the ball and the movement I am looking for. And, in general, we do pretty well at it.

“If you abandon those principles early on that sends the wrong message out for me, and we have got to develop what we are doing and what we are about because we have to have some sort of identity and way of playing and philosophy for this football club which is to pass the ball and pass it properly.

“Against Preston we needed to mix it up but that’s League One football and all football in fairness. You have to play the game and you might have to play it a little bit longer at times.”

Read More http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/coventry-city-fc/coventry-city-fc-news/2013/01/13/fans-ask-will-coventry-city-play-4-4-2-92746-32589231/#ixzz2HztrLKFF

Well is was thinking more that he is prepared to do two up top. If he needs to, as oppose to one up top.

Worryingly though he seems to suggest he was behind the long ball tactics against Preston

wingy

I wonder if we are over-reacting a little ,Clark has hardly hit base here yet .Are there other factors which have possibly shown signs of our game going off even while we were picking up decent results with DMC among us. .Portsmouth, Stevenage , Preston ,MKdons,Shrewsbury etc. Did DMC go off a touch in those final games ,affected by the clamour / expectation of negotiations ,self preservation,did Carl Bakers 2.5 game absence have an effect on Christies game ,who now replaced by Clark is having to build a new understanind down our right flank.Is Sheffs ten game surge just starting to peter out ,should Murphs come for more crosses .If you were MR would you stick or shake it up a bit?:confused:

Mucca Mad Boys

I wonder if we are over-reacting a little ,Clark has hardly hit base here yet .Are there other factors which have possibly shown signs of our game going off even while we were picking up decent results with DMC among us. .Portsmouth, Stevenage , Preston ,MKdons,Shrewsbury etc. Did DMC go off a touch in those final games ,affected by the clamour / expectation of negotiations ,self preservation,did Carl Bakers 2.5 game absence have an effect on Christies game ,who now replaced by Clark is having to build a new understanind down our right flank.Is Sheffs ten game surge just starting to peter out ,should Murphs come for more crosses .If you were MR would you stick or shake it up a bit?:confused:

Good questions asked.

I think give it perhaps 1 game between J. Clarke and Baker, if Clarke under performs, drop him, he played well v Tottenham & PNE, Carlisle at fault for the goal, but I don't know if he actually played badly from then. I think Sheff's 'surge' is coming to an end, with hopefully Thomas, Bailey coming in, for Jenno (difficult one) and Sheff, hopefully giving a more free flowing midfield, if it fails, change it. I do think Baker's absence may have had a negative impact on Christie's performances, but he played poorly v MKD and Shrews when Baker was back. Murphy has been better under MR as a while in fairness to him. I think MR needs to shake it up.

I think we should sign a CB, as Wood and Edj get cut up far too easily.

RoboCCFC90

I think a lot of people are being a little harsh with Leon Clarke since he joined us, if he hasn't played since November then we can't expect him to hit the goldmine straight away and bang in goals, he has taken the same amount of time to find the net that David McGoldrick did when he joined us (1/2 Games each) and it was three games until McGoldrick netted again, but for some reason I can see it being a shorter priod of time with Clarke, hopefully after a few more games he will be more confident in front of the net and with the knowledge of playing with his team mates he will bang them in. Everyone just remember they say in Football after being out for so long it can take a few games to get complete match sharpness, lets give Leon a break I am sure his singing will bear fruit..

Sky Blue Kid

So with greatest respect Grendel, you don't know what you're talking about.

As it happens"Shock""Horror".....I agree 100% with Grendel on this one.:D
PS see what I mean about"Nobody elses opinions count..only yours!"

He needs a strike partner imo because he hasn't got the technical ability of McG....Can't hold up the ball to bring the midfield into play... and is always looking for the "Through ball"....Chicken and headless springs to mind.

Mucca Mad Boys

So with greatest respect Grendel, you don't know what you're talking about.

As it happens"Shock""Horror".....I agree 100% with Grendel on this one.:D
PS see what I mean about"Nobody elses opinions count..only yours!"

He needs a strike partner imo because he hasn't got the technical ability of McG....Can't hold up the ball to bring the midfield into play... and is always looking for the "Through ball"....Chicken and headless springs to mind.

We've lost more games at home playing 4-4-2 than playing the usual Robins' formation. Of which we've only lost 1 using 5 in midfield v Carlisle.

ajsccfc

He's not sharp enough yet, but he has been here about 2 seconds. Writing him off is.. oh wait, forgot where I was.

Sky Blue Kid

We've lost more games at home playing 4-4-2 than playing the usual Robins' formation. Of which we've only lost 1 using 5 in midfield v Carlisle.

Seeing as you don't care about insulting me.......Get a fucking brain you twat. AT, and RS both played 4-4-1-1:jerkit:

Mucca Mad Boys

Seeing as you don't care about insulting me.......Get a fecking brain you twat. AT, and RS both played 4-4-1-1:jerkit:

Thorn played the hated diamond and Shaw the diamond v Brum and Crewe (first half) then from the 2nd Crewe, we played 4-4-fecking-2! You are seriously an imbecile, or didn't go to the games if you think we played 4-4-1-1 in our first 7 games.

Last edited:
Clarke needs more than one strike partner. One to pick up the scraps after he has controlled the ball further than I can kick it and another to chase his shots into the corner flag.

euanscott98

In all serious by the sounds of it Elliot has earned his right to have a run.
I am concerned that Murphy seems to be punting it more since we have signed Clarke.
That is frustrating as I can't remember the last time we have had a shot on goal as a result of that method.

I have only just about forgiven Elliot for giving the ball away against Tranmere. Then not chasing back which led to their first goal. It was so lazy.

Robins and Baker maintain he is incredibly hard working.
So I guess I need to give him another chance.
I agree that Steve Elliot should get a run in the first team he works his socks off now for the club any chance he gets and Clarke isn't a lone striker

Users who are viewing this thread