Does Leon Clarke need a strike Partner? (1 Viewer)

ohitsaidwalker king power

Cant help wondering if Leon Clarke's acquisition means we have to play a different formation- MR was right he looks a very different player to DMC... and so.. does he need a strike partner -do we need to play 4-4-2 is my question? As opposed to the often used 4-3-2-1(4-5-1) when DMC was here.
If so who should it be.. Macca- Elliot- Cody or AN other?

*Note not a criticism just a view?

dongonzalos

I can't believe we signed a bloke who had not scored a goal since November. He needs a guide dog not a strike partner!

Lord_Nampil

Think we need another striker with Cody and rod off out on loan we need 1 more , ball Clarke and Elliot isn't enough!!!

dongonzalos

In all serious by the sounds of it Elliot has earned his right to have a run.
I am concerned that Murphy seems to be punting it more since we have signed Clarke.
That is frustrating as I can't remember the last time we have had a shot on goal as a result of that method.

I have only just about forgiven Elliot for giving the ball away against Tranmere. Then not chasing back which led to their first goal. It was so lazy.

Robins and Baker maintain he is incredibly hard working.
So I guess I need to give him another chance.

Last edited:

oakey

Leon Clarke needs a damn sight more than just a good partner. Clive Platt Mark || ?

Mucca Mad Boys

I think it is unfair to judge after 2 games as a lone striker, especially as he scored in 1 of those games. I'm not counting spurs because we don't deserve to be on the same pitch as them and their class was clear throughout.

Lets just wait and see.

dongonzalos

I think it is unfair to judge after 2 games as a lone striker, especially as he scored in 1 of those games. I'm not counting spurs because we don't deserve to be on the same pitch as them and their class was clear throughout.

Lets just wait and see.

Have you noticed the increase in Murphy punting.

I was really pleased prior to January that MR seemed to have him rolling everything out.

Swanny80

Thought Elliott looked ok when he came on at Carlisle

Made more happen that most others and he looked lovely

Mucca Mad Boys

Have you noticed the increase in Murphy punting.

I was really pleased prior to January that MR seemed to have him rolling everything out.

Yeah, I have, but I thought he hoofed it v Shrews because we were desperate, v Spurs just to clear it and v PNE, I thought it was to match their physicality. I didn't watch v Carlisle so I can't judge, v Tranmere however, I'll judge. It is a shame if we hoof it, we can stick to our usual ways and involve Clarke in other ways.

rupert_bear

I can't believe we signed a bloke who had not scored a goal since November. He needs a guide dog not a strike partner!
With dipsticks like this as a fan god help us, Leon Clarke has hardly played since November which has been pointed out on numerous times but still doesn't sink in. Clarke has played 4 times almost scored with his first touch v Shrewsbury, scored against PNE and missed a sitter v Carlisle but atleast he was there to miss. Looks like old Dongo has found a scapegoat

ohitsaidwalker king power

Back on track... my thoughts were trying to promote the thought around formation... personally I think he would benefit a direct partner- who that is I guess is open to conjecture.... but as a lone striker I think he not perhaps best equipped.. and I'm not criticising him to address a point from above..... 2/3 games in that would be unfair.. just counselling opinion

dongonzalos

With dipsticks like this as a fan god help us, Leon Clarke has hardly played since November which has been pointed out on numerous times but still doesn't sink in. Clarke has played 4 times almost scored with his first touch v Shrewsbury, scored against PNE and missed a sitter v Carlisle but atleast he was there to miss. Looks like old Dongo has found a scapegoat

I was extracting the Michael. PMT keeps posting it for some reason and Grendal keeps correcting him.

dongonzalos

Yeah, I have, but I thought he hoofed it v Shrews because we were desperate, v Spurs just to clear it and v PNE, I thought it was to match their physicality. I didn't watch v Carlisle so I can't judge, v Tranmere however, I'll judge. It is a shame if we hoof it, we can stick to our usual ways and involve Clarke in other ways.

I don't think it is Robins as he keeps saying he doesn't want to play that way.
We were not doing it until Leon came.
I was concerned when we signed him that he may be used in that way.
However those who watched Scunny beat us said that Scunny did not hoof it to Leon.

It would have been his performance in that match that sealed the deal, so fingers crossed.

Last edited:

Grendel

Leon Clarke needs a damn sight more than just a good partner. Clive Platt Mark || ?

His goals per game ratio is 1 in 4 in his career. Mcgoldrick a is 1 in every 4.5 games.

Platt is 1 in 5.6 games. It's 1 in 9 in the last 3 seasons.

wingy

We don't seem to be seeing much of an exodus yet of our many many surplus squad,we need a left back ,possibly a RB ,another 20 goal striker ,or start using Cody.:whistle:

cloughie

Seems it could be the problem off loading some of the surplus but can't see us getting another 20 goal a season striker even with moving the surplus on

But yes who knows DMG wasn't fancied at forest

dongonzalos

We don't seem to be seeing much of an exodus yet of our many many surplus squad,we need a left back ,possibly a RB ,another 20 goal striker ,or start using Cody.:whistle:

I would like that. Such a shame he does not seem to have the right attitude

Cody must really have a bad attitude, AT was too slack (apparently Cody was fat)

Then Robins who people state is a great man manager comes in.
He says from what he has seen Cody is a very good striker.

Yet still no Cody.

He must be one hell of a knob

Grendel

I would like that. Such a shame he does not seem to have the right attitude

Cody must really have s bad attitude AT was too slack (apparently Cody was fat)

Then Robins who people state is a great man manager comes in.
He says from what he has seen Cody is s very good striker.

Yet still no Cody.

He must be one hell if a knob

He's just not very good. A combination of poor fitness and lack of ability is not a good combination. Sadly it seems we are stuck with him.

dongonzalos

He's just not very good. A combination of poor fitness and lack of ability is not a good combination. Sadly it seems we are stuck with him.

I think he has ability.

Lynch said he returned from the summer break over the weight limit set for each player. Which is very annoying considering this was to be his season.

This shows Robins is prepared to switch to 2 up front if he needs to

Robins, who threw on McDonald and John Fleck and reverted to a conventional 4-4-2 formation after a bleak first-half display, admitted: “We were fortunate in a lot of ways because we didn’t play well in the first half and we could easily have been punished.

“We just didn’t click. The ball was in the air a lot, we struggled to get it down on the floor and when we did we couldn’t pass it – we gave it away.

“Having the extra man in midfield wasn’t working for us so we had to change things around without opening ourselves up too much and we managed to do that – we started to get on the front foot a bit and create some chances. Flecky was dangerous for us because he finds pockets of space and uses the ball really well.

Read More http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/coventry-city-fc/coventry-city-fc-news/2012/10/01/coventry-city-oldham-victory-is-a-weight-off-players-shoulders-says-cody-mcdonald-92746-31940684/#ixzz2HzpCDnW7

Mucca Mad Boys

We need to play 2 up front at home. Our home form is a disaster.

You say that, but who would be his partner? Elliott? Ball? Cody? Rod? Not good enough IMO.

We should try and get another striker in, most likely a loan at this point in time.

We've also played 2 strikers in a similar amount of games at home this season, didn't improve our form then.

EDIT: did a little thinking, we've lost 5 at home? Playing 4-4-2 we lost to Stevenage, Notts County and Scunny, interestingly, v Shrewsbury, we conceded AFTER we went to 4-4-2 (they scored '63, Clarke came on '54) the other, we lost to Carlisle playing 1 striker in a 4-4-1-1. We drew a further 2 under Thorn playing 2 strikers in the diamond 3 playing 1 striker. However, we have won 3 times, 2 times playing 4-4-2 and once playing 4-4-1-1.

So with greatest respect Grendel, you don't know what you're talking about.

Last edited:

Mucca Mad Boys

Seriously are we not?

Anyway back to adult world.

A lot of posters on here were impressed with how Leon and his strike partner worked together.

So if we were to draft in another striker. Then a player with similar playing style may suit Leon

You tried to make a point that Clarke needs a strike partner and posed the question of should we play 2 upfront, Scunny are down at the foot of the table, we are not. We really kicked on in November and December, playing 1 striker.

stupot07

I think he has ability.

Lynch said he returned from the summer break over the weight limit set for each player. Which is very annoying considering this was to be his season.

This shows Robins is prepared to switch to 2 up front if he needs to

Robins, who threw on McDonald and John Fleck and reverted to a conventional 4-4-2 formation after a bleak first-half display, admitted: “We were fortunate in a lot of ways because we didn’t play well in the first half and we could easily have been punished.

“We just didn’t click. The ball was in the air a lot, we struggled to get it down on the floor and when we did we couldn’t pass it – we gave it away.

“Having the extra man in midfield wasn’t working for us so we had to change things around without opening ourselves up too much and we managed to do that – we started to get on the front foot a bit and create some chances. Flecky was dangerous for us because he finds pockets of space and uses the ball really well.

Read More http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/coventry-city-fc/coventry-city-fc-news/2012/10/01/coventry-city-oldham-victory-is-a-weight-off-players-shoulders-says-cody-mcdonald-92746-31940684/#ixzz2HzpCDnW7

Geez. This was what 19-20? Games ago (all competitions). Tried it from the start against Scunthorpe and we were bloody awful..he has tried it and said this week it doesn't suit our players

We challenged our Facebook and Twitter followers to come up with their own questions for Coventry City boss Mark Robins.

Wayne Matthews asked: “Are you going to bring in a striker? Leon is not a lone striker – we saw that Thursday night.”

Robins said: “The dynamic of the team has changed and I think people should let me develop that. We want to play football and 4-4-2 is not something we are massively suited to.

"We can do it but I think we are more suited to the way that we play because it promotes us passing the ball and the movement I am looking for. And, in general, we do pretty well at it.

“If you abandon those principles early on that sends the wrong message out for me, and we have got to develop what we are doing and what we are about because we have to have some sort of identity and way of playing and philosophy for this football club which is to pass the ball and pass it properly.

“Against Preston we needed to mix it up but that’s League One football and all football in fairness. You have to play the game and you might have to play it a little bit longer at times.”

Read More http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/coventry-city-fc/coventry-city-fc-news/2013/01/13/fans-ask-will-coventry-city-play-4-4-2-92746-32589231/#ixzz2HztrLKFF

Users who are viewing this thread