Dodgy ref (2 Viewers)

Irish Sky Blue

I'm not saying anything goes at all. But it has always been this way. I'm sure the individual will have run the line at Millwall at some point. I doubt he could hear many individual comments anyway, just a wall of noise. Just another day at the office. Officials at this level are used to it and are well protected and there is nothing wrong with making it a hostile environment for officials and opposition players. More of that please.

Referees at Sunday league level, I do wonder why they bother though. Some of the stuff that happens at those games is outrageous.
It hasn’t always been that way. It has definitely got worse over the years. I’m pretty sure that referees and linesmen would hear plenty of the comments aimed at them just as someone like Shipley would hear some of the abuse he used to get. If players hear comments why wouldn’t officials? Nothing wrong with a vibrant noisy atmosphere in support of your team. Nothing wrong with the odd howl of rage when a decision goes against your team. One of the things that makes football so special is the edge that you get with partisan support. Some of the aggression And abuse I witnessed last night goes beyond that.
You say that. You don’t know why officials at Sunday League level bother when they get such abuse. Where do you think the guy last night started his career? If they are put off from reffing at that level there won’t be anyone to progress to League level. Someone earlier in the thread said that the standard of refereeing is shocking. How many potentially good refs are put off because of the lack of respect they receive? You say abuse at Sunday League level is unacceptable but that’s it’s okay if they are at our level. Two sides of the same coin. Grown men standing on a terrace, gesticulating and bellowing abuse is a pretty sad situation.

theferret

It hasn’t always been that way. It has definitely got worse over the years. I’m pretty sure that referees and linesmen would hear plenty of the comments aimed at them just as someone like Shipley would hear some of the abuse he used to get. If players hear comments why wouldn’t officials? Nothing wrong with a vibrant noisy atmosphere in support of your team. Nothing wrong with the odd howl of rage when a decision goes against your team. One of the things that makes football so special is the edge that you get with partisan support. Some of the aggression And abuse I witnessed last night goes beyond that.
You say that. You don’t know why officials at Sunday League level bother when they get such abuse. Where do you think the guy last night started his career? If they are put off from reffing at that level there won’t be anyone to progress to League level. Someone earlier in the thread said that the standard of refereeing is shocking. How many potentially good refs are put off because of the lack of respect they receive? You say abuse at Sunday League level is unacceptable but that’s it’s okay if they are at our level. Two sides of the same coin. Grown men standing on a terrace, gesticulating and bellowing abuse is a pretty sad situation.

You keep suggesting I've said things I haven't said. It isn't getting worse. I started watching football in the 80s and no way is it any worse than when I started.

The difference between Sunday football and last night is context, the degree of separation, the level of protection and the partisan nature of the game when you have large crowds.

The biggest threat to Sunday league refs are the people playing. Of course it is different. I'll shout abuse at refs from time to time at City games, but when watching my lad play will never say anything to the officials, because I'm not an idiot and I understand context. The game has been sanitised enough over recent decades, it just isn't enough for some though.

Irish Sky Blue

Always been part of the game and hopefully always will be.
Far preferable to half and half scarves and taking selfies.
I agree with most of the stuff that you post but not on this. The shear level of anger at someone who is doing their job to the best of their ability (that ability may or may not be limited) and who is necessary for the thing we all love (the game) is way over the top and out of proportion.
I’m not sure where half and half scarves and selfies come into the argument. I wouldn’t give you a thank you for the first one and I have never taken one of the latter.

Irish Sky Blue

You keep suggesting I've said things I haven't said. It isn't getting worse. I started watching football in the 80s and no way is it any worse than when I started.

The difference between Sunday football and last night is context, the degree of separation, the level of protection and the partisan nature of the game when you have large crowds.

The biggest threat to Sunday league refs are the people playing. Of course it is different. I'll shout abuse at refs from time to time at City games, but when watching my lad play will never say anything to the officials, because I'm not an idiot and I understand context. The game has been sanitised enough over recent decades, it just isn't enough for some though.
I disagree again on your first point. I’ve been going up the City since the sixties and the abuse that match officials and players get has got progressively worse in my opinion
I don’t see how you can make such a distinction between officials at a Sunday League game and a professional match. Abuse is abuse. I don’t think all people are as discerning as you and will see an official in the Memorial Park as much fair game as they will one at St Andrews. When I played Sunday Football the ref would get a bit of stick. Twenty years later when watching my boy’s play that situation had changed hugely. Not only was the ref taking abuse from some of the lads playing, he had to deal with an avalanche of insults and ‘advice’ from managers and parents on the sidelines. Some of the refs were only teenagers themselves, still fair game for some of those watching.
So you feel that some of the blokes hurling insults at the ref on Tuesday become Mr Nice Guy when watching their boy on a Sunday? Worse still, what is it telling their children who are watching the game with them about how you deal with figures in authority, the police, their teachers and yes the referee in their own game.

skybluesam66

I have no problem with swearing at football, and some of the songs with it, or swearing out of frustration etc - no issues
It is the pure anger and hatred from these guys that I cannot agree with - and as Irish SB says, there is no way that these guys can switch off so easily when at home from the levels they were at

David O'Day

Basically some millsy's drinkers have got their panties in a twist as some nasty men told a shit lino he was in fact a shit lino. I owned a couple of folk and now it's time to move on

Irish Sky Blue

Ah yes, so to be a real man you have to swig back your 10 pints in the pub before coming to the game and showing your football expertise to a around you by bawling at a bloke who knows the laws of the game far better than you. What a man!

David O'Day

Ah yes, so to be a real man you have to swig back your 10 pints in the pub before coming to the game and showing your football expertise to a around you by bawling at a bloke who knows the laws of the game far better than you. What a man!
No you floof it's just people shouting at an incompetent official. Mate I'm going to enjoy this

David O'Day

Who mentioned real men? Is this some shite insult? I'm a metrosexual twat and I still called the lino for his shocking performance

torchomatic

I sit in the block on the half way line, so similar to SBS66 I would think. Now I moan and complain at the referee during a game, I am biased, I am caught up in the game like most people. The referee last night I though was poor. However, there are lines that surely shouldn’t be crossed. My mate commented last night about some of those people and what they would be like in their everyday life, would they be as angry as that about other things that annoy them? Hopefully not. I think being in a football crowd makes some people feel they can do or say things that away from the football they probably wouldn’t do, maybe sometimes helped by too much drink.
You honestly think that it is acceptable to abuse someone, to threaten them because they have maybe got a few decisions wrong?

Yeah, we sit in block 28 by the half-way line. There were two or three blokes standing up constantly screaming at the ref and linesman. Don't get me wrong I thought the ref was particularly rubbish, but those blokes seem to have a few anger issues.

torchomatic

I have no problem with swearing at football, and some of the songs with it, or swearing out of frustration etc - no issues
It is the pure anger and hatred from these guys that I cannot agree with - and as Irish SB says, there is no way that these guys can switch off so easily when at home from the levels they were at

It was odd at Rochdale to hear the announcer say swearing won't be tolerated and if you hear any report to your nearest steward. Racism, homophobia I can understand, but swearing? Some do go OTT, but swearing doesn't bother me that much at a match.

Irish Sky Blue

Yeah, we sit in block 28 by the half-way line. There were two or three blokes standing up constantly screaming at the ref and linesman. Don't get me wrong I thought the ref was particularly rubbish, but those blokes seem to have a few anger issues.
Exactly this

Irish Sky Blue

Who mentioned real men? Is this some shite insult? I'm a metrosexual twat and I still called the lino for his shocking performance
Very happy that you are metrosexual. Not sure what it means however or what it has with has to do with blokes in their forties and fifties, who really should know better, getting to their feet at a football match to abuse another bloke who is only trying to do his job.

torchomatic

Oh fuck off you sanctimonious twat, people have always swore at shit officials and they always will.

And I do, all the time. These three blokes were really losing it. I wouldn't've liked to have been sitting next to them.

Irish Sky Blue

Oh fuck off you sanctimonious twat, people have always swore at shit officials and they always will.
There's a difference between swearing at a ref, which I think most of us do at some point during a game, and standing up and bellowing at the top of your voice, red faced and apoplectic with rage.
Just to say that the idea of a discussion like this one is to put forward your own point of view, while reading and considering the other person's.
As soon as someone starts throwing around insults I think it shows that they are running out of points to make.

mmttww

100%. A lot of moaning about a few marginal decisions that didn't affect the outcome of the game. I'm not really one to stand up for referees, there have been some laughable decisions and performances this season, but I really don't get last night. I think a lot of it is down to how on edge and anxious people felt so any decision that we didn't get was magnified. The O'Hare trip was never in a million years a penalty. The one where he was possibly pulled down, I would like to see a replay, it possibly could have been but also in my head I thought 'he's looking to go down here and win a penalty' the moment he was challenging for it, which of course I wish we had got but I am not convinced it should have been. The Dabo tackle, you see them given either way. People didn't like that Rotherham were bigger and stronger than us. It isn't my style of football but they were nowhere near the dirtiest side I've seen this season. The same people who moan about last nights ref will be the same people watching an English side v Barcelona and moan that Barcelona are too small and weak for the English sides. So in summary, we are basically, and as good as, Barcelona.

This. Folks were losing their sh*t around me about absolutely nothing. Made me laugh. High point was the frothing about taking a short corner when we'd scored with the same routine on Sat and almost scored with it again!

mmttww

Irish Sky Blue is bang on as well. If you can't understand the difference he's pointing out between fans being frustrated and fans being abusive, don't bother trying to have the argument.

A bloke near me genuinely shouted "You're a paedo" every time a decision went against us. Calling a ref a Tw*t because he gave something against your team, it happens. Accusing someone of having sex with children because they didn't give a throw in, probably not OK.

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
Irish Sky Blue is bang on as well. If you can't understand the difference he's pointing out between fans being frustrated and fans being abusive, don't bother trying to have the argument.

A bloke near me genuinely shouted "You're a peado" every time a decision went against us. Calling a ref a Tw*t because he gave something against your team, it happens. Accusing someone of having sex with children because they didn't give a throw in, probably not OK.

The ref on Tuesday was that slow and far behind play he wouldn't be able to catch the kids, to be fair.

David O'Day

A bloke near me genuinely shouted "You're a peado" every time a decision went against us. Calling a ref a Tw*t because he gave something against your team, it happens. Accusing someone of having sex with children because they didn't give a throw in, probably not OK.

What's a peado? They something to do with peas?

Users who are viewing this thread