Do you want to discuss boring politics? (17 Viewers)

SBT

So you accept it’s not a date rape joke then?
It’s a joke about spiking a woman’s drink with an illegal drug that’s synonymous with date rape in order to impair her judgment.

I’m not saying it’s the greatest scandal in political history but this is a strange hill to die on!

shmmeee

It’s a joke about spiking a woman’s drink with an illegal drug that’s synonymous with date rape in order to impair her judgment.

I’m not saying it’s the greatest scandal in political history but this is a strange hill to die on!

Ill die on the hill of not intentionally pretending you don’t know how jokes work every day.

NorthernWisdom

I’m not saying it’s the greatest scandal in political history
No. tbf the offhand jokes in private, if edgy or bad taste or whatever, are probably not the thing to go after politicians on (we'd never stop!), and also tbf it'll all die down and be forgotten soon enough. There's plenty enough to criticise them for, both in terms of competence and morality, in their policy after all!

I mean, changing the law to toughen up on drinks spiking is a good thing (a rare good thing for this government!).

shmmeee

No. tbf the offhand jokes in private, if edgy or bad taste or whatever, are probably not the thing to go after politicians on (we'd never stop!), and also tbf it'll all die down and be forgotten soon enough. There's plenty enough to criticise them for, both in terms of competence and morality, in their policy after all!

I mean, changing the law to toughen up on drinks spiking is a good thing (a rare good thing for this government!).

Its a shitty precedent that ends up with shite like the Beer Korma nonsense or Jess Phillips “stab him in the front” or “call off the dogs” whoever that was, judge politicians on policy and what they actually said not on the worst possible interpretation you can imagine.

NorthernWisdom

Its a shitty precedent that ends up with shite like the Beer Korma nonsense or Jess Phillips “stab him in the front” or “call off the dogs” whoever that was, judge politicians on policy and what they actually said not on the worst possible interpretation you can imagine.
The end of the Mirror article also says "conversations at Downing Street receptions are usually understood to be “off the record”. The Sunday Mirror decided to publish what Mr Cleverly said because we believe these are exceptional circumstances given his role as Home Secretary and the subject matter."

I'm not sure it is really, it seems a bit of shitty tactic really, and one that could open the floodgates. Once you do that, too, then it starts to lose its impact if you do get a Trump like character where you really do need to show how what he says can lead to dangerous situations.

It's a bit like Johnson's 'let the bodies pile high' comment during Covid, I could imagine somebody (especially with his way of speaking!) saying that in private in frustration in a difficult time. Forget that, focus on his utter ineptitude in not turning up to the important meetings, reading the docs, or taking the advice from experts - plenty enough there to show him as a shit politician!

fernandopartridge

From the register of interests

From 3 January 2023 until further notice, Adviser to the Emissions Capture Company (industrial decarbonisation and clean technology), 8-10 Hill Street, London W1J 5NG. I receive £80,000 per annum, paid monthly, for providing advice on the global energy transition and decarbonisation. Hours: 160-192 hrs per annum. (Registered 7 February 2023)

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

skybluetony176

He's so 'principalled' he's forcing his hard-pressed local council to spend £250,000 on an election for a seat which is scheduled to be abolished at the next general election anyway.
I never said he was principled (plural) I said that he resigned on a single principle (singular).

Terry Gibson's perm

So Sunak has interest in stripping that woman from the post office of CBE (rightly so) will he be so keen to go after a few others like Mone?

shmmeee

Think we need a total clean out of the Lords. Look at balance of expertise and contribution levels and cut it down to size and have a proper committee that makes appointments instead of the PMs mates.

skybluetony176

So Sunak has interest in stripping that woman from the post office of CBE (rightly so) will he be so keen to go after a few others like Mone?
Call me cynical but I think that the governments sudden interest in the post office scandal is precisely because it keeps the public distracted from things like the Mone scandal.

CCFCSteve

Call me cynical but I think that the governments sudden interest in the post office scandal is precisely because it keeps the public distracted from things like the Mone scandal.

I think it’s as much that it’s been on tv so very much on wider public’s radar. The politicians are all over it. Hardly been a peep before

ps people should be sent down if they’ve perjured

David O'Day

Sunak saying that they need to look at Fujitsu is a mistake for them given that one of his SoS's husbands was on the board, then CEO and then Chairman of their UK arm during all of this.

shmmeee

Spectacularly undemocratic. That's not a fine / good concept surely

Not everything has to be democratic. That’s the sort of thing that leads to Mail headlines about unelected bureaucrats.

The point of the Lords is to provide balance to the populism of the Commons with expertise from around society. In theory it’s a good concept. The selection criteria just need to be better so it doesn’t get stuffed with political glad handlers.

Users who are viewing this thread