Do you want to discuss boring politics? (17 Viewers)

fernandopartridge

But don't most energy companies actually buy wholesale energy and also sell it at some point? I know one company I work with who has secured a 5 year fixed rate at the same level they had before for electric which I do not see as achievable if everyone was buying these rates
It's a fair point, it might be a capacity thing though. Perhaps some of the big suppliers have fixed X amount of their consumption but there are pressures on anything above that

Grendel

It's a fair point, it might be a capacity thing though. Perhaps some of the big suppliers have fixed X amount of their consumption but there are pressures on anything above that

Incredibly there are over 60 energy suppliers in the UK which is absurd. Most will not have resources to hedge the energy price and are essentially speculators that will now go down - most likely due to Gas hikes as much as electricity

Its absurd many of these have a licence

fernandopartridge

Incredibly there are over 60 energy suppliers in the UK which is absurd. Most will not have resources to hedge the energy price and are essentially speculators that will now go down - most likely due to Gas hikes as much as electricity

The absurdity comes from pretending that a public monopoly could be turned into an open and competitive market

skybluetony176

When a crank takes lessons from a crank.

I love the way Boris name drops Jezza in an attempt to give Piers Corbyn some credibility.

Last edited:

jimmyhillsfanclub

I understand the general point about it credibility and remain campaign misrepresentation, but, that graphic in shhmmmeee's post still seems to show that the UK is now paying is 100% more for wholesale gas than the average across Europe. That is a fucking disgrace and the government must be held to account for it.
I'm not denying it's a shitshow......was just disputing the statistical distortion...
The absurdity comes from pretending that a public monopoly could be turned into an open and competitive market
Exactly....no natural monopolies should be left to market forces with suppliers basically hedging bets on a futures/ commodities market.......we should (but never will) renationalise the water, energy, railways, broadband etc..

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

While I agree with your point, you do know why there are that many don't you?

Because of the utter obsession of privatising everything under the banner that free market competition will make service better and prices lower. (In fact the real reason is that their business mates can't make any money out of something run as a non-profit utility)

torchomatic

National food shortages
Covid disaster DE.jpg

torchomatic

CCFCSteve

Click on the link and read the whole thread to understand what a complete Tory clusterfuck this is.

Just remember that despite leaving the EU we did have the option to remain in the IEM

View attachment 21899

But none of the press (even remain press) mentions Brexit as a reason for the current issues ?!!

IEM is only mentioned in passing in sky article. Nothing more. Its an interesting brief article as to why it’s worse here. Plenty of poor government planning, yes, 100%. Even if we don’t have sufficient energy production here, not having adequate storage to withstand large price fluctuations/issues with supply is inexcusable. We’re also basically trying to move to greener energy production/reliance but can’t deal with demand without a massive reliance on others for gas supply. Dangerous !

stupot07

Is what's happening here also happening in Europe? I assume not given the reports that NI are OK as they can get supplies from Ireland. If its not Brexit why is the increase in wholesale price impacting us more than elsewhere?
The majority of the uk press are pro tory, and pro brexit. Shock horror they are not mentioning it much yet.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

CCFCSteve

Is what's happening here also happening in Europe? I assume not given the reports that NI are OK as they can get supplies from Ireland. If its not Brexit why is the increase in wholesale price impacting us more than elsewhere?

That’s why I attached the articles Dave

Grendel

The majority of the uk press are pro tory, and pro brexit. Shock horror they are not mentioning it much yet.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

The majority of the press were never pro Brexit

skybluetony176

But none of the press (even remain press) mentions Brexit as a reason for the current issues ?!!

IEM is only mentioned in passing in sky article. Nothing more. Its an interesting brief article as to why it’s worse here. Plenty of poor government planning, yes, 100%. Even if we don’t have sufficient energy production here, not having adequate storage to withstand large price fluctuations/issues with supply is inexcusable. We’re also basically trying to move to greener energy production/reliance but can’t deal with demand without a massive reliance on others for gas supply. Dangerous !
The Twitter link doesn’t just mention brexit either. It also talks about storage and how the Tories allowed the facility that stored 70% of the UK’s gas to be closed. A move that was widely criticised at the time. The Guardian article also touches on storage. Of all of Europe’s stored gas the UK’s stored gas accounts for just 1%. Pretty shocking statistic, especially when you consider that we’re more reliant on gas than other European countries.

Last edited:

JAM See

Control
Has
Been
Taken
Back

Isn't that enough?

chiefdave

That’s why I attached the articles Dave
But issues with things like covid, Russia's control on the supply etc as detailed in the articles apply to all countries not just the UK so what is so different about us?

I've looked for reports of other governments in Europe having to reassure that there will be enough food and the power won't go off but can't find them.

If its not Brexit related, which it may well not be, then doesn't that point to government incompetence? An over reliance on fossil fuels isn't something that should take the government by surprise and only be addressed when we're at crisis point.

Ian1779

If this is true, it just goes to show what an incompetent bellend Starmer is. He has an absolute open goal right now in regards to what is going on with the shitshow of the government… and this is his grand plan.

Sick Boy

But issues with things like covid, Russia's control on the supply etc as detailed in the articles apply to all countries not just the UK so what is so different about us?

I've looked for reports of other governments in Europe having to reassure that there will be enough food and the power won't go off but can't find them.

If its not Brexit related, which it may well not be, then doesn't that point to government incompetence? An over reliance on fossil fuels isn't something that should take the government by surprise and only be addressed when we're at crisis point.
No food shortages or threats of power cuts here.

wingy

No 1664 or full size seeded wholemeal bread from asda tonight .
Well a replacement granny mini loaf replacement ffs.
No replacement beer.,😟

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

If this is true, it just goes to show what an incompetent bellend Starmer is. He has an absolute open goal right now in regards to what is going on with the shitshow of the government… and this is his grand plan.

Gotta get the important stuff sorted first :rolleyes:

CCFCSteve

The Twitter link doesn’t just mention brexit either. It also talks about storage and how the Tories allowed the facility that stored 70% of the UK’s gas to be closed. A move that was widely criticised at the time. The Guardian article also touches on storage. Of all of Europe’s stored gas the UK’s stored gas accounts for just 1%. Pretty shocking statistic, especially when you consider that we’re more reliant on gas than other European countries.

I agree Tony, it’s a shambles in terms of planning and protection...as I said, its inexcusable ! It’s like we think we all live in a lovely world where people/countries don’t fuck each other over when there’s leverage and control. We need to take this (and Covid) as a warning, the government needs to pull their fingers out and make us far more self sufficient.

skybluetony176

I agree Tony, it’s a shambles in terms of planning and protection...as I said, its inexcusable ! It’s like we think we all live in a lovely world where people/countries don’t fuck each other over when there’s leverage and control. We need to take this (and Covid) as a warning, the government needs to pull their fingers out and make us far more self sufficient.
Apparently a report in 2010 advised we double our gas storage capacity in preparation of what we’re seeing now. It doesn’t sound like this is an issue that couldn’t have been prepared for, the government was being advised that this was likely to happen at some point and did less than nothing if that was at all possible by allowing Rough to be closed reducing our already woefully inadequate storage ability to be diminished by 70%. I think it’s already been dismantled so we can’t even recommission it for future use. We’ve basically got to invest in complete new facilities.

skybluetony176

So the tories are pushing ahead with the removal of the 20 pound per week universal credit boost (UC TOO LOW ANYWAY ) in a time when the cost of living is rising beyond that of peoples means

Absolute vermin

Vote these fucking clowns out PLEASE!!!
I saw a report earlier that the average 2 children family is likely to be £1600.00 worse of a year from the triple whammy of NI hike, UC cut and the cost of living hike.

wingy

Apparently a report in 2010 advised we double our gas storage capacity in preparation of what we’re seeing now. It doesn’t sound like this is an issue that couldn’t have been prepared for, the government was being advised that this was likely to happen at some point and did less than nothing if that was at all possible by allowing Rough to be closed reducing our already woefully inadequate storage ability to be diminished by 70%. I think it’s already been dismantled so we can’t even recommission it for future use. We’ve basically got to invest in complete new facilities.
The CO2 situation was here two year's ago with a dry run while two plants were out of action for maintenance.

Evo1883

The word " Gammon " added to the list of offensive words by ofcom .

Quick lads /lasses , delete your social media history before it's made a hate crime and people start trawling through your history 😉

Jobs will be lost over this in 9 years time 😆

Users who are viewing this thread