Do you want to discuss boring politics? (12 Viewers)

CCFCSteve

Irrelevant,they only purpose of the boats is a distraction,penny finally dropped for me around two weeks ago to mask the fact that we've imported 750k officially.

Exactly. It’s crazy to solely focus on 50-60k, a decent proportion of which will have genuine asylum claims, when net official figures as you say are 750k (immigration was 1.2m !!! with emigration 500k). Drop in the ocean so to speak 😊 That’s why Bravermann jumping up and down is so comical….and her cheerleaders even more amusing…she oversaw those official numbers !!

Hertsccfc

It’s the idea they all get benefits that gets me. I’ve seen quite a lot of actual hard right racist stuff on Twitter recently (Thanks Elmo), and it’s literally TikTok’s of a non white person with a council house and a bunch of racists going “See!! Illegals getting British people’s houses!!”

It would be good if there was a PR campaign about what exactly you get. Afaik benefits for immigrants are significantly below brits and for illegals it’s literally nothing.
Reviews have constantly shown that immigrants add to the economy. This latest crackdown on legal immigration will be catastrophic for the social care sector and to a slightly lesser degree the health service.

Hertsccfc

We’ve had loads of laws that do that.

Saw something interesting. YouGov salience of immigration as n issue for voters.

As a whole immigration has been dropping as a concern since 2016, to way below where it was. But it’s come up again. However only for Tory voters. Labour voters it’s still low, Tory voters it’s gone up to 2015 levels.

I do wonder if all the focus on it from Tories doesn’t do them more harm than good. I’ve seen someone say Sunaks big issue is he keeps focusing voters on things he can’t fix, possibly due to backbench pressure.
So what laws do we currently have that force the Courts to judge something to be true that objectively isn't true? I do think this really is a first.

skybluetony176

Irrelevant,they only purpose of the boats is a distraction,penny finally dropped for me around two weeks ago to mask the fact that we've imported 750k officially.
They’re blowing smoke up people’s arses. We’ve given an open invitation to 6.5M people from Hong Kong to come here. In fact they’ve just extended that scheme by a year because uptake wasn’t as high as the government expected/hoped for. It also quashes the notion that everyone wants to come here. We’ve invited 6.5 million, the government was hoping for at least 300K, uptake has been less than half of that.

Last edited:

Sky Blue Pete

I think I’m in agreement that it’s ok for us to identify our needs and invite people to come
It’s why as shmmee says above about our caring sector this current government really need to get their heads out their arses

Grendel

I think I’m in agreement that it’s ok for us to identify our needs and invite people to come
It’s why as shmmee says above about our caring sector this current government really need to get their heads out their arses

Er the “only option” as you call it wants to reduce net migration from its unacceptable high levels

stupot07

Sunak such a cnut.

Rwanda is safe, black is white, Sunak Is 6ft 4in. Parliament says so.

Asked if he's going to make it a vote of confidence with his party and expel anyone who doesn't back it from the party?..

Answer: NO......look at labour not us. (Erm you have a commons majority you don't need labour). He knows he doesn't have the numbers, so is already blaming labour. Despite having a big majority.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

shmmeee

Anyway. New reason Sunak is a prick. I can’t access googles new chatbot because it’s got to wait for regulatory approval in the UK because Rishi thinks autocomplete wants to enslave us all.

clint van damme

Reviews have constantly shown that immigrants add to the economy. This latest crackdown on legal immigration will be catastrophic for the social care sector and to a slightly lesser degree the health service.

Said it in an earlier post, any crackdown on immigration needs a simultaneous plan for supporting recruitment in these sectors.

rob9872

Surely a lot of that needed eg in social care is because they're low paid jobs. Pay them properly and you won't need the immigration and with less people you won't need the numbers to look after them. For a relatively small space the increase in UK population since 2000 is about 10m. Regardless of where they are or aren't from, at what point fo you think it's high enough?

* point really is Brits are pretty lazy or think even more than immigrants that they're owed a living or that some jobs are beneath them. Immigrants often more prepared to work harder for less, so make the jobs more attractive.

clint van damme

Surely a lot of that needed eg in social care is because they're low paid jobs. Pay them properly and you won't need the immigration and with less people you won't need the numbers to look after them. For a relatively small space the increase in UK population since 2000 is about 10m. Regardless of where they are or aren't from, at what point fo you think it's high enough?

But who picks up the tab?
This is what I mean by having a proper joined up plan.

rob9872

But who picks up the tab?
This is what I mean by having a proper joined up plan.
Which tab? To pay for them?

At the moment we're paying for their low wage and the person already here who isn't doing it but could be and not contributing. I'd like to think the pot would be neutral but haven't studied to see if that's factual, merely an opinion.

wingy

* point really is Brits are pretty lazy or think even more than immigrants that they're owed a living or that some jobs are beneath them. Immigrants often more prepared to work harder for less, so make the jobs more attractive.

At the moment we're paying for their low wage and the person already here who isn't doing it but could be and not contributing. I'd like to think the pot would be neutral but haven't studied to see if that's factual, merely an opinion.

I think this is full circle rob,there was a perfectly good operation going on with 15- 20 yrs ago, not particularly well paid either.

clint van damme

Yes. I think care homes would normally pass on the cost but fairly sure there's now a limit on what they can take from a person to pay for care.

shmmeee

Problem with this theory; unemployment low, who are these people who aren’t doing the work who could be?

shmmeee

Is that to give him or his family an option on shares?

Hes been taken in by a load of tech bros telling him AI is about to become all powerful so they can pump their startup valuations.

Nothing makes me libertarian more than politicians talking about tech.

skybluetony176

I also wonder how much of the latest nett immigration figures boil down to how we record immigration following brexit. When we were in the EU no one was doing an exact count on EU citizens here under freedom of movement. I seem to recall one analyst coming to the conclusion that the actual figure was considerably higher than the government’s estimate, I want to say twice high but can’t be 100% on that. All of a sudden we’re accurately recording all numbers including EU citizens possibly for the first time in decades making the number look high although in reality true nett migration is probably not that dissimilar to the true number prior to Covid when freedom of movement wasn’t recorded with any degree of accuracy. I also wonder if there’s more than a little element of catch-up as the world has opened up following covid.

If there’s anything in all of the above the Tories really have messed up poking the immigration hornets nest in theirs phoney culture war.

rob9872

Do you not get bored of coming on here to rant about the Tories every day Tony? If you're that passionate or even half as knowledgeable on everything they do as you suggest, then why not do something useful with it to affect change, even in local office rather than on SBT?

Grendel

Do you not get bored of coming on here to rant about the Tories every day Tony? If you're that passionate or even half as knowledgeable on everything they do as you suggest, then why not do something useful with it to affect change, even in local office rather than on SBT?

Poor old Tony - he’s voted Tory and other further right parties more than anyone on this forum

shmmeee

TBF I’ve had a fair bit of second and first hand experience of local politics and that’s why I’d never go near it in a million years.

shmmeee

Genuine question for the righties on here: would you care about immigration in a nation with working public services and housing market? Or is it a principle thing?

Users who are viewing this thread