Do you want to discuss boring politics? (20 Viewers)

shmmeee

I was thinking along the lines of if everybody had to vote , maybe people would become more interested in politics and policies that effect them, over time ofcourse ... leading people to vote for their actual interests

How does it work in Australia? They have it there don’t they? All I know is you get a free sausage when you vote, which I’m all for!

shmmeee

When is a sausage not a sausage...?

That said, seeing some of the volunteers at polling stations, not entirely sure if a free sausage wouldn't finish more off with food poisoning than Covid has!

Sausage on a Barbie is very Aussie though, we’d need a British equivalent. I would say bacon sarnies but considering the issues with islamophobia on the right and antisemitism on the left not sure it’s the best idea!

SkyBlueDom26

He’s just a needy kid. He’ll say anything to anyone if he thinks it’s what they want to hear.

Priti Patel will be sliding off her seat in anticipation of ID cards. It’ll happen.
The way you talk, its as if Labour have a massive majoirty lol when in reality it couldn't be more opposite

Evo1883

Sausage on a Barbie is very Aussie though, we’d need a British equivalent. I would say bacon sarnies but considering the issues with islamophobia on the right and antisemitism on the left not sure it’s the best idea!
Chocolate, we can all agree on chocolate

Philosorapter

In the political world which is spinning coming here just gives me vertigo.

Philosorapter

Am I right in saying West Midlands Labour has lost all control of the WMCA?

From what I can understand it is 1 Mayor and 1/3 Councils of Combined Authorities?

Labour does not have 2/3 control of Combined Authorities to stop any action taken by the Mayor if they wished to do so?

Liquid Gold

Mandatory voting with a none of the above would be great.

Not against ID for voting providing that they give them out for free. It would actually be a good use of government resources to provide a free passport or driving licence.

I agree with Shmmee here though, ID cards were a bad idea but they know everything about us anyway now, including our opinion on Max Biamou, they may as well have a compulsory free ID card that acts as a driving license and passport at the same time.

clint van damme

Khalid's mention of how he was received at work suddenly took me back 30 years to when I last worked on the factory floor. It was a very mixed economy of whites (English, Scots and Irish), Hindus, Sikhs and Muslims. Truly, I can't think of one instance, whether in private conversation or as a group when I observed racism. I'm not saying that racism didn't exist in society back then, but in the workplace there was the unifying force of workers together, partly to stand our ground and because the sheer monotony of work cultivated the need for us to come together to embrace our situation. I left shortly before that workplace, like so many, was pretty much stripped of union rights except in name only.

I know this is a very simplistic and unoriginal view, it it seems to me that the loss of manufacturing and associated services to globalization, the destruction of union rights and decent jobs has created a vacuum in which we have been splintered, and that vacuum replaced by the disjointed concerns of minorities.

We know that we will never see a return to a mass labour movement, but it's hard to see what the theme would be around which Labour votes could be coalesced. Tbh, whilst for me Khalid has correctly identified some of the issues, not least the metropolitan elite and its tactic of cultural hegemony, I didn't find anything in his note that showed me the way forward,

He did allude to working at a grass roots level though 2hich Starmer seems to be moving away from and something that was apparently happening in some of the few areas where Labour did have success, Preston etc.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Cup of tea and a Rich Tea biscuit. Or a bag of chips.

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
Not sure if this has been mentioned. Isn't just a case of going 'Oopsie, actually this person won', going to take months of legal stuff to resolve! :oops:

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I like this! Could be like Easter eggs but for democracy. Hollow chocolate Houses of Parliament or something.

For politics it would definitely have to be hollow. Maybe chocolate coins just to remind everyone what money feels like.

Also have to make sure there was white, milk and dark chocolate available so as not to offend anyone.

chiefdave

This is a very good piece. Pretty much sums up my views.

In a nutshell: Tories have gone populist to win the Red Wall/working class. We just have to wait for them to fail on 'levelling up', which they will.

Seems to be a lot of people pointing to this article but isn't it just a long winded version of the much criticised 'voters are stupid'?

It basically says those that have voted Conservative have fallen for a load of BS and if Labour just wait long enough they'll realise their mistake and return to Labour.

Labour can't go on just pointing and laughing at clips of people giving dumb reasons for not voting for them. Pretty clear this is a significant chunk of the electorate so they have to work out what they can do about it above just labelling them idiots. We know the media aren't going to help them get their message across, if anything it will be the opposite, and people ignore anything on social media that doesn't line up with their beliefs so how do Labour resolve this?

shmmeee

Am I right in saying West Midlands Labour has lost all control of the WMCA?

From what I can understand it is 1 Mayor and 1/3 Councils of Combined Authorities?

Labour does not have 2/3 control of Combined Authorities to stop any action taken by the Mayor if they wished to do so?

What can the mayor actually do? Here it seems to be mostly pretty drawings of transport or plans or demanding things that have already been planned like the demolition of Barracks car park.

Do all mayors have the same power because London and Manchester seem to actually do stuff and the rest not so much.

David O'Day

What can the mayor actually do? Here it seems to be mostly pretty drawings of transport or plans or demanding things that have already been planned like the demolition of Barracks car park.

Do all mayors have the same power because London and Manchester seem to actually do stuff and the rest not so much.

The South Yorks mayor isn't even a paid position

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Andy Street has seemed a bit Boris-like in his love of big projects while ignoring some of the smaller stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread