Do you want to discuss boring politics? (19 Viewers)

shmmeee

It was a ridiculous thing to say. Do I think he truly means it, probably not, but looks/sounds awful.

My understanding was that they’d ploughed cash into certain new red wall seats/deprived areas (like with Houchen in Tees valley) so not sure about his suggestion that he’s cut funding.

I saw it as a short clip, possibly lacking in context, of him trying to play to the crowd…badly ! But if he truly believes it’s right to cut funding in deprived areas, he’d be a c**t in my book

Yeah it’s a real problem with party leadership contests as we’re seeing with both parties. First go full bore mentalist to convince the loonies in the party then pivot to centrist for the public, leaving everyone pissed off with you.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Yeah it’s a real problem with party leadership contests as we’re seeing with both parties. First go full bore mentalist to convince the loonies in the party then pivot to centrist for the public, leaving everyone pissed off with you.
All it shows is that you can't trust a word they say because they'll just say whatever it is they think that particular crowd want to hear. Which shows that they're more than happy to be dishonest if it suits them.

Call me crazy, but that's not a trait I'm looking for in anyone, let alone a leader.

clint van damme

All it shows is that you can't trust a word they say because they'll just say whatever it is they think that particular crowd want to hear. Which shows that they're more than happy to be dishonest if it suits them.

Call me crazy, but that's not a trait I'm looking for in anyone, let alone a leader.

I agree

Otis

This is what happens. He knows he is struggling to win any election, so just changes his stance to whatever he thinks MAY win him an election. Principles go straight out the window.

Truss and Sunak are doing it too.

I was once told by someone to never trust a politician. Can't remember who said it. It was probably a politician.

🤬

skybluetony176

This is what happens. He knows he is struggling to win any election, so just changes his stance to whatever he thinks MAY win him an election. Principles go straight out the window.

I was once told by someone to never trust a politician. Can't remember who said it. It was probably a politician.

🤬
I was once told never believe a politician, especially when they’re telling you what you want to believe.

CCFCSteve

🤬

Yeah, I don’t take whatever any politician says at face value…Im genuinely surprised anyone does. I reckon he’s supportive of strikes but has been told to needs to temper that overt support as he’s trying to keep in with all sides. This is probably the correct decision under the circumstances, however much of a flap some are getting in over it

He needs to start coming up with some clear policies soon though. It’s one thing tempering your beliefs to appeal to a wider audience, it’s another for people to not get what you are standing for/offering as an alternative

Brighton Sky Blue

Yeah, I don’t take whatever any politician says at face value…Im genuinely surprised anyone does. I reckon he’s supportive of strikes but has been told to needs to temper that overt support as he’s trying to keep in with all sides. This is probably the correct decision under the circumstances, however much of a flap some are getting in over it

He needs to start coming up with some clear policies soon though. It’s one thing tempering your beliefs to appeal to a wider audience, it’s another for people to not get what you are standing for/offering as an alternative

Well do you want him to say what he really thinks or don’t you?

shmmeee

If you don’t do it, you don’t become leader or you don’t get elected. Because party members are mental and voters don’t care.

we’re into “you don’t want anyone capable of getting to the top, at the top” territory.

PVA

What an amazing coincidence that when the government isn't actually doing any work there are no scandals and there's nothing to talk about in here

skybluetony176

What an amazing coincidence that when the government isn't actually doing any work there are no scandals and there's nothing to talk about in here
I don’t know. There’s a strong conservative effort amongst the Boris cult including MP’s and client press to try a set a tone of distrust in the select committee that’s about to look into partygate. They’re going full Trump calling it a witch-hunt, kangaroo court etc. I mean it’s majority Tory sitting on it but certain people seem really concerned about details coming out. The Daily Heil and Dorries are especially desperate.

CCFCSteve

Hardly as bad as it’s made out. So they have two or three different loaves of bread rather than three of the same one ? Hovis as well, how the other half live ! If he’s not buying Tesco value it’s apparently a continental breakfast 😂

If he’d said the prices of Ferraris have gone up or my loafers cost £300 rather than £200 then fair enough. Even if he said they bought a fresh loaf every day from the local baker and he bins anything left after lunch. Bit strange of the Mirror to pick up on this especially as there’s plenty of easier targets when it comes to Sunak.

shmmeee

Hardly as bad as it’s made out. So they have two or three different loaves of bread rather than three of the same one ? Hovis as well, how the other half live ! If he’s not buying Tesco value it’s apparently a continental breakfast 😂

If he’d said the prices of Ferraris have gone up or my loafers cost £300 rather than £200 then fair enough. Even if he said they bought a fresh loaf every day from the local baker and he bins anything left after lunch. Bit strange of the Mirror to pick up on this especially as there’s plenty of easier targets when it comes to Sunak.

*quietly*

I buy four kinds of bread and there’s only two and a half of us in the house

😬

PVA

This fucking country. Honestly.

These are the people who's every whims are catered for, and fuck everyone else.

That knobhead who thinks the fight against wokeism is the great challenge of our time... but doesn't know what wokeism is.

CCFCSteve

Also...

Fucking HELL.

Massive problems on the way this winter and there’s nothing anyone can do about the prices…unless the war ends, which I very much doubt unfortunately.

You’ve just got to hope that the government properly helps those most in need. I reckon they’ll be another round of significant assistance when we get to autumn. It needs better targeting though

wingy

Massive problems on the way this winter and there’s nothing anyone can do about the prices…unless the war ends, which I very much doubt unfortunately.

You’ve just got to hope that the government properly helps those most in need. I reckon they’ll be another round of significant assistance when we get to autumn. It needs better targeting though
I do wonder if the "Market"price's in the likelihood of gov't assistance when projecting.

What about business's?

Ditch your car's and pull the holidays.

shmmeee

They can cut taxes on energy at the very least. The only reason I’d be against green tax cuts is I don’t think I they’d come back, but VAT alone would cut £200 from those bills, green levies another £400, you could suspend payments on green deal loans, you could fund a major insulation and solar panel retrofit to stop it happening in the future, along with some energy market reform. You could just bump up UC by a bit for a while if you want targeted measures, that’s the point of it after all.

skybluetony176

This fucking country. Honestly.

These are the people who's every whims are catered for, and fuck everyone else.

That knobhead who thinks the fight against wokeism is the great challenge of our time... but doesn't know what wokeism is.

It means whatever you want it to mean. One of my mates declared himself anti woke recently, I asked what’s woke and he couldn’t really answer, I then gave him a few examples of how according to some of the people and organisations waging the phoney woke war think he’s woke and if he didn’t won’t to be woke he needed to disown both his children and one of his nephews as the support he’s given them means he’s an enabler of the woke agenda regarding various issues his children has and he’s a BLM fanatic regarding his nephew. He said I’m just being a good father and uncle, which I agreed with him on and praised him for his actions. The likes of Julia Hartley-Brewer, Martin Daubney, The Express, The Mail, insert any Tory politicians name here etc etc all think he’s a c**t and everything that’s wrong with the country. Give him something to think about but he’s stuck in the brexit cult so wokeness is the next thing they need him to be scared off to keep him voting against his own and everyone else’s (except the elite who like to pretend that they’re not the elite) interests.

CCFCSteve

I do wonder if the "Market"price's in the likelihood of gov't assistance when projecting.

What about business's?

Ditch your car's and pull the holidays.

Spot on about businesses. There needs to be help for SMEs, especially those high energy users. They’re being screwed at the moment and then having to pass on cost if possible, causing further inflation. It’s a nightmare

Only positive news recently is oil prices going down hopefully they won’t spike again later in the year. It’s natural gas prices that will be main issue this winter though.

CCFCSteve

They can cut taxes on energy at the very least. The only reason I’d be against green tax cuts is I don’t think I they’d come back, but VAT alone would cut £200 from those bills, green levies another £400, you could suspend payments on green deal loans, you could fund a major insulation and solar panel retrofit to stop it happening in the future, along with some energy market reform. You could just bump up UC by a bit for a while if you want targeted measures, that’s the point of it after all.

Sorry, I wasn’t clear, I meant nobody can do much about the wholesale prices which are the lions share of the cost

Can’t disagree with much of the above but it’s whether they feel more higher income householders should shoulder more of the pain (I think so). Some of the above obviously make it cheaper for all including those that don’t really need help. Appreciate its hard to target though.

shmmeee

Sorry, I wasn’t clear, I meant nobody can do much about the wholesale prices which are the lions share of the cost

Can’t disagree with much of the above but it’s whether they feel more higher income householders should shoulder more of the pain (I think so). Some of the above obviously make it cheaper for all including those that don’t really need help. Appreciate its hard to target though.

To be honest, as a higher rate payer (and quite a low energy user) it’s not really impacting me massively, I’d support paying higher taxes, especially if they go towards something I’d support anyway like long term energy independence and resilience, and climate change obviously. As well as any support increases.

Brighton Sky Blue

I just found the article funny

skybluetony176

Phoney culture war. Rees-Mogg fabricating stories to wind people up with

Ironic that he pretends it’s the serious fraud office. He really thinks the public are stupid.

Users who are viewing this thread