Do you want to discuss boring politics? (12 Viewers)

Grendel

and that gap between the two countries gets smaller all the time as it is

Examples of how it gets smaller?

clint van damme

Though it was in the news recently that loads OF US toddlers are speaking with English accents due to watching too much Peppa pig!

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Funny thing about that is it’s the second *amendment* which suggests it can be changed.

All tradition is like this. It’s like the Mormons who are fine with technology up until about 1700 then it’s all forbidden.

We've got stuff like the National Trust though.

Take on all these old stately homes that were designed to be at the height of modernity and were regularly remodelled at huge expense to be at the forefront of design, technology and culture and now they just frozen at a certain time in the past. Totally missing the point of what the owners would have wanted them to be. Half the time the families had to sell them because they spent so much money on them 'keeping up with the Jones''

It'd be like saying my house can't have double glazing cos it didn't exist when the house was built.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Johnson talking about how Thatcher gave Britain a head start on climate change by closing the coalmines :rolleyes:

I mean, could the guy be any more detached from the average person*

It's not like that was the reason she did it. She did it out of a personal vendetta against the unions and Scargill.

She destroyed the economy of entire areas with no intention of trying to replace their lost industry.

But to him it's all just a bit of a joke.:mad:

*Just remembered Jacob Rees-Mogg exists

Grendel

Johnson talking about how Thatcher gave Britain a head start on climate change by closing the coalmines :rolleyes:

It's not like that was the reason she did it. She did it out of a personal vendetta against the unions and Scargill.

She destroyed the economy of entire areas with no intention of trying to replace their lost industry.

The destruction of the Marxist Scargill - who cares not a jot about anyone but himself and his pretend war on the establishment was the reason I voted Tory for the first time

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

The destruction of the Marxist Scargill - who cares not a jot about anyone but himself and his pretend war on the establishment was the reason I voted Tory for the first time

Not arguing about Scargill. But that's not the point of what I put was it.

skybluetony176

We were still building coal fired power stations at the beginning of the 80’s and still have 3 or 4 still open so that doesn’t add up.

Brighton Sky Blue

Well it’s just to complete the circle of farce that communities Thatcher ruined will vote for Johnson even after he jokes about their demise. Missing the part where it shows he gets the average man more though

D

Deleted member 4439

It's been well documented, not least by the Economist magazine, that Scargill rose to power in defence of the attack on unionism that had been in the planning by the Tory right for several years. Scargill told the miners, including the Notts miners. that the pits would close if Thatcher got her way (and she employed the law and the forces of the law to do so), and of course he was right. Scargill was not the protagonist.

It's quite beyond me how any working class person could have voted for Thatcher, whatever view might have been held on the power of the unions. Frankly, I'd dance on her grave, the fascist, racist bastard. Ding dong.

Last edited by a moderator:

Skybluefaz

It's been well documented, not least by the Economist magazine, that Scargill rose to power in defence of the attack on unionism that had been in planning by the Tory right from several ears earlier. Scargill told the miners, including the Notts miners. that the pits would close if Thatcher got her way (and employed the law and the forces of the law to do so), and of course he right. Scargill was not the protagonist.

It's quite beyond me how any working class person could have voted for Thatcher, whatever view might have been held on the power of the unions. Frankly, I'd dance on her grave, the fascist, racist bastard. Ding dong.
But tell us how you really feel about her.

skybluetony176

Yes, it's a nonsense - we simply switched to imported coal, and massively so until we began switching away from coal fire plants about 10 years ago
We didn’t even build our first wind farm until the 90’s, even then it was a private venture. All Boris has really done is confirm that he’s glad that Maggie took a huge dump on the red wall.

Northants Sky Blue

I'd love to say that he's finished and stuff like this is just scorched-earth nonsense but some if it's calculated gaslighting.
It wont work forever so when are the Tory kingmakers gonna decide to get shot?

skybluetony176

Yeah, he didn't mention that we imported to coal to burn instead.
Quite often lower quality coal too which is dirtier and less efficient so you have to burn more than the bituminous coal mined in the U.K.. And that’s before you start to consider the carbon footprint of importing it in the first place. Most British coal imports come from Russia and America.

Users who are viewing this thread