Do you think we will learn after this is all over? (4 Viewers)

Covstu

Pollution down massively, no litter in the streets, people eating healthily, people exercising but will it all go back to ‘normal’ when this is over? It’s like it’s been a detox for the earth which was clearly needed but could it go the other way with businesses trying to make up for lost time and make matters worse.
It would be a shame to go through a life changing process like we all are, losing loved ones and not learn from this?

skyblue1991

I hope at the end of all this:

People visit the NHS for major illnesses and injuries
Better hygiene both at home, personally at work and in public environments
People in general remain friendly and treat each other with better respect
WFH becomes less frowned upon as it has been for a number of years in some companies

Moral and social censing. Could be the best thing that has happened to the UK and indeed the world in a number of years!

Sent from my I3113 using Tapatalk

Covstu

I think all bad habits will immediately return at the slightest hint of restrictions being lifted.
That’s my worry, we will have a drunk nation for the first week, A&E will be full of injuries through pissed up people then everyone back in cars. Holidays will go through the roof too

Sbarcher

I'd like to think that people (ie. my wife!) would appreciate what we have instead of always wanting more "nice stuff". I am always telling her that the world is full of nice things, but they can't all live in our house!
Luckily the Flight House at Weston on the Green is currently closed.

clint van damme

Pollution down massively, no litter in the streets, people eating healthily, people exercising but will it all go back to ‘normal’ when this is over? It’s like it’s been a detox for the earth which was clearly needed but could it go the other way with businesses trying to make up for lost time and make matters worse.
It would be a shame to go through a life changing process like we all are, losing loved ones and not learn from this?

There will definitely be some slipping back into old ways but hopefully it makes people think a bit more about certain things, the NHS, working as a community etc so at least something positive comes out of it.

clint van damme

Just hope travel operators don’t take the piss and prices quadruple in line with demand. I think a lot will stay in the UK this year too

I think initially they'll be some bargains to be had.
Especially in countries trying to rebuild the tourist trade.
I think you're right a lot of people will stay here but the UK tourist trade really take the piss when there's high demand

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Nope. Back to normal. Cars everywhere for work (and visiting people they've not seen in a while), everyone will be wanting to get away ASAP after being cooped up. Everyone will be eating out or getting fast food as a treat so rubbish will be back.

It will have given more ammo to the environmental brigade as to how soon we can 'improve' things in a sort space of time with a concerted effort, but the effect on jobs, earnings will blow it out of the water.

Shame as it's been lovely. Quieter, tidier, friendlier - it been like village/rural life has invaded the city streets by me and I'm enjoying it while it lasts.

But having said that I'd have taken things being as per usual and not having so many people ill and die.

Covstu

I think initially they'll be some bargains to be had.
Especially in countries trying to rebuild the tourist trade.
I think you're right a lot of people will stay here but the UK tourist trade really take the piss when there's high demand
Depending on what people have to spend, are people going to go into debt for a holiday this year? We have has massive problems trying to get our Italy money back but looks like we are going to get most of it back then maybe try and get the rest through insurance. It will be strange to see no one at work due to furlough then everyone slamming holiday requests in straight away to get away again!

Covstu

Nope. Back to normal. Cars everywhere for work (and visiting people they've not seen in a while), everyone will be wanting to get away ASAP after being cooped up. Everyone will be eating out or getting fast food as a treat so rubbish will be back.

It will have given more ammo to the environmental brigade as to how soon we can 'improve' things in a sort space of time with a concerted effort, but the effect on jobs, earnings will blow it out of the water.

Shame as it's been lovely. Quieter, tidier, friendlier - it been like village/rural life has invaded the city streets by me and I'm enjoying it while it lasts.

But having said that I'd have taken things being as per usual and not having so many people ill and die.
Will also be interesting in how offices work going forward, do you actually need to go to a physical office. Our work has normally been very old school with offices and meeting face to face but all meetings now being ran from MS Teams which has been great. Just hope we evolve slightly but I doubt we will sadly

clint van damme

Depending on what people have to spend, are people going to go into debt for a holiday this year? We have has massive problems trying to get our Italy money back but looks like we are going to get most of it back then maybe try and get the rest through insurance. It will be strange to see no one at work due to furlough then everyone slamming holiday requests in straight away to get away again!

I.think personal debt will go through the roof again.

wingy

Unless people are well off I think it would be prudent to wait a year or more.
No one knows how much income they're going to get for at least 18 months IMO .
The fiscal injections are going to mean either the currency is devalued , hopefully in conjunction with all other nations (although I doubt that),or taxation is going to rise , meaning less disposable income.

wingy

Think companies have continued to appear to still be selling deals as a tactic to avoid/delay refunds.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Will also be interesting in how offices work going forward, do you actually need to go to a physical office. Our work has normally been very old school with offices and meeting face to face but all meetings now being ran from MS Teams which has been great. Just hope we evolve slightly but I doubt we will sadly

I think we'll see more of WFH etc, but it will depend on how the productivity looks I guess. I think beforehand people had been arguing for it but the older more luddite board members/managers would have resisted it and have had to have it forced on them. If it shows a better more efficient way of working they'll have changed their tune.

Related by more local, I wonder if this will put paid to the rest of Friargate happening as there's certainly not going to be demand for it now. Couldn't get tenants in the last decade so not going to now.

NorthernWisdom

Unless people are well off I think it would be prudent to wait a year or more.
No one knows how much income they're going to get for at least 18 months IMO .
The fiscal injections are going to mean either the currency is devalued , hopefully in conjunction with all other nations (although I doubt that),or taxation is going to rise , meaning less disposable income.
Taxes have to rise, surely?

fernandopartridge

I think it will go back to normal tbh, the longer it goes on the longer the clammer to indulge in whatever it was you did before. On a more positive note it should be a turning point for inflexible employers who hadn't previously let staff work from home. Hopefully the general level of respect for others and the jobs they do is maintained.

Flying Fokker

Mr and Mrs Fokker were just on this subject. I think a big recession is coming. She works at a uni. Everything is done from home now. Organisations have had to change overnight. No unions to consult, few staff issues compared to implementing strategic change etc. She misses the social contact. There was a consensus that managers did not want people WFH. Some managed to get a day a week before. Now everything is done on Microsoft Teams, teleconferencing, what’s app and email.. systems,are no,different.

My role is different. I’m front line social care. But non essential day centres were closed overnight and community shielding became the buzzword. (Rightly so) With some spare capacity due to the closure of day opportunities. Staff redeployed. The big question is whether the non essential social care will be the same once things become clearer. I know my service can go. Will carers be desperate to send people back in to services. Will they be priority/ be moved to a different centre.

Will there be redundancies/ natural wastage in both?

fernandopartridge

I'd expect it .
And scope for more of it where it is generally avoided.
Or could just live with the idea of a deficit for a while longer. No point extracting money out of the economy as it is counter productive. I'd close so of the loopholes and I think the world should coordinate in extracting tax from Amazon and the like.

Gazolba

My organization has tons of people who were only allowed to work from home one or two days a week.
Now they are mandated to work at home full time (due to government order), I'm sure they will be asking themselves, why am I only allowed to do this one day a week?

Sky_Blue_Daz

I was told to work from home this week as we had 2 members of staff designated to work in the office to deliver medical supplies. However the person who organised this who is on a seriously good salary never realised that neither staff could drive . So I ended up doing all the deliveries which for me was better then working from home as I felt I was actually doing something. Then I was on nights Friday and Saturday and back on earlies tomorrow .

bringbackrattles

Only shop that has stayed open other than the newsagents and chemists in Bell Green shopping centre is Keith the Butcher. Says his custom has stayed the same throughout the lockdown.. In the apocalypse Keith's butchers will be only shop open !

Gazolba

Only shop that has stayed open other than the newsagents and chemists in Bell Green shopping centre is Keith the Butcher. Says his custom has stayed the same throughout the lockdown.. In the apocalypse Keith's butchers will be only shop open !
I'm surprised there are any butchers left. I don't know of a single one where I live. Everyone gets their meat at the supermarket.

bringbackrattles

I'm surprised there are any butchers left. I don't know of a single one where I live. Everyone gets their meat at the supermarket.
Keith has been there for years. Always open except Sundays and a well known shop and character in Bell Green. But as they're knocking our block down in the summer as well as his butchers shop that'll be the end. He's been told he can move to a new place further down, but he says no he'll call it a day then.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
That's America, the home of industrial farming. There are two thriving butchers in the town I live, I don't buy supermarket meat.
I wish we'd have bought our joint from a butchers last week instead of a supermarket. We had it yesterday (half leg of lamb), and it was like gristly, bloody leather! Never again! I will stick to using my local butchers or go veggie!

bringbackrattles

I wish we'd have bought our joint from a butchers last week instead of a supermarket. We had it yesterday (half leg of lamb), and it was like gristly, bloody leather! Never again! I will stick to using my local butchers or go veggie!
I know Keith well as we've both been in Bell Green for years. Off topic a bit but I asked him recently " are you never ill " ?
He's one of those people who is always there in his butchers shop, you just know his shop and him will be there. He says no he's not lost a day off work for decades !
I've done okay myself working outdoors,but not in Keith the Butchers league. Must be all the good meat he eats then ?

OffenhamSkyBlue

Our village shop hasn't been this busy in a long time, well-stocked with most essentials, and is the post office too. The staff reckon it will be like it was during the long snowy winters, when everyone buggered off back to getting everything from the supermarket and leaving the village shop close to unviable.

Marty

I don't touch supermarket meat either, it's crap! The stuff at the butchers is marginally more expensive, but the quality is far superior. Plus, you get that added bonus of supporting local businesses.

Users who are viewing this thread