Do be fair to Thorn he attracts good loan signings... (2 Viewers)

OyJimmy

I'm happy with Norwood and Nimely but would Man U and Man C still send us players if we didn't have Thorn?

Grendel

Otis

People seriously think that teams are only sending players here because of Thorn? :facepalm::facepalm:

Think that deserves at least three more ......... :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Lord_Nampil

Nimley Fantastic footballer, but from what i have seen so far he cant finish so as we need a goal scoring striker was he a good loan signing???

IMO btw so you can have your own views on it!

mexico88

I'm happy with Norwood and Nimely but would Man U and Man C still send us players if we didn't have Thorn?

What a stupid comment.

So without Thorn, we wouldn't get loan players from big clubs?

How have we managed to obtain loanees from these clubs pre-Thorn then?

@richh87

We 'could' attract them - it's just previous managers weren't as talented at spotting them.

We'd bee attracting the equivalent of Eddie Johnson and that bald Wood lad we got from Man U.

But it's cool to slate Thorn and pretend he's been blessed with a good squad.

Sick Boy

We 'could' attract them - it's just previous managers weren't as talented at spotting them.

We'd bee attracting the equivalent of Eddie Johnson and that bald Wood lad we got from Man U.

You have to be on the wind-up surly?

lordsummerisle

So, which is it?

He's great at spotting talent, therefore we have a good squad?

Or, we don't have a good squad, and therefore not great at spotting talent?

Sick Boy

So, which is it?

These lot make it up as they go along, I feel sorry for them.

Both Nimley & Norwood have already been out on loan in the Championship, anyone would think Thorn has unleashed two unknown & obscure players.

@richh87

So, which is it?

He has supplemented a poor squad with 2 good loan signings. Because SISU are such cheapskates there is no depth.

I refuse to believe that any city supporter thinks we have an adequate squad. Some of you just like to argue.

Nick

Administrator
He has supplemented a poor squad with 2 good loan signings. Because SISU are such cheapskates there is no depth.

I refuse to believe that any city supporter thinks we have an adequate squad. Some of you just like to argue.

The thing is, did he not scout most of the players that we have now?

well as far as i can see thorn has brought in one loan player that looks better than what we had, nimely, norwood is no better that clingan, what happened to the others he promised? experienced striker? thorn is becoming one of my most hated managers of all time, and just one thing for the thorn fans, he handed bell his new 3 year deal because he said "the lad is quality", just think about that sentence

Sick Boy

well as far as i can see thorn has brought in one loan player that looks better than what we had, nimely, norwood is no better that clingan, what happened to the others he promised? experienced striker? thorn is becoming one of my most hated managers of all time, and just one thing for the thorn fans, he handed bell his new 3 year deal because he said "the lad is quality", just think about that sentence

I would imagine Bell is on a fair old wage as well. That could have been spent better elsewhere in the squad.

Grendel

Beat me to it nick. Though no doubt rich will say any decent players scouted by thorn and any poor ones were signed by the manager.

Thorn also has given some of these poor players extended contracts with glowing references. Again rich will say sisu wanted these contracts signed and threatened to torture the poor chap if he did not say these things.

Truth is his arguments are becoming as poor as the managers win ratio he tries to defend.

Nick

Administrator
This is our first 11:

Murphy - AT

Christie - Youth
Keogh - AT
Cranie - AT??
Clarke - Youth

Deegan - AT
Norwood - AT
McSheffrey - Obvious choice so probably no scout
Baker - AT

Nimely - AT
Platt - I think this was Boothroyd as he knew him from before

That means most of our starting 11 AT scouted so if the team is so bad, then surely his eye for talent isn't as good? I agree of course, we don't have the depth but the quality of what we do have is surely down to AT scouting?

mark82

I don't think the first XI is that bad to be honest, though the squad is a bit light, so not sure if judging him on 1st team alone is fair.

Also, we will never really know which players were scouted by Thorn and which were just known to previous managers. Deegan I suppose is the obvious one to have been scouted being from Ireland. The others could conceivably have been managers choices (some of which are AT's as manager).

dongonzalos

You also have to consider what limitations have been placed on him. Thorn may have spotted plenty of other talent that should be feesible for us to afford only to be told no by SISU. e.g
"Andy Thorn had been to watch Carroll when he was on loan at preston ... had a team with Westwood in goal, England U21 international Martin Cranie at right-back, Scott Dann, Ben Turner, Danny Fox, Jordan Henderson, Aron Gunnarsson, Sammy Clingan, Jack Cork, Gary McSheffrey and Andy Carroll up front." Ranson
Dont forget the Juke, Nimley, Norwood, Gardner, Herman (if not injured). Deegan I dont tknow the exact facts to be honest but I think regarding the above bar Turner, Thorn, was behind most of it scouting wise. Bell and Baker are debated by people about whether they are good or bad. Most I believe are not happy with them. McDonald is still to be judged. 7 of those player are gone and 1 was not deemed financialy worth it (Carroll)

http://www.football.co.uk/coventry_city/ranson__carroll_could_have_been_coventry_s_rss1635350.shtml

Nick

Administrator
Yes limitations may have been placed, but they are still his players? Surely a good manager / scout gets players within means? Does it make me a good scout if I had unlimited money and buy players or better if I get 50k to find a gem?

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Just a question ........ did we have a network of scouts working under AT as head scout ? if so who spotted who ? not a dig at AT btw

Its one thing spotting quite another signing a player - and it isnt guaranteed some of the names mentioned would ever have chosen to come here. Press reports from Sunderland for example said they were never going to sell at that point

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
Plus if Carroll was on loan at Preston surely they plucked him from Newcastle? The same as Nimely at Boro and Norwood at Scunthorpe?

I agree he pulled Gunnar out of nowhere, same with Deegan maybe which in my opinion are what good finds are. For me to say I have loads of money I am going to buy proven players, isn't decent scouting.

mark82

Plus if Carroll was on loan at Preston surely they plucked him from Newcastle? The same as Nimely at Boro and Norwood at Sc-unithorpe?

I agree he pulled Gunnar out of nowhere, same with Deegan maybe which in my opinion are what good finds are. For me to say I have loads of money I am going to buy proven players, isn't decent scouting.

That was pretty much the point I was trying to make.

CUS Wyken

Plus if Carroll was on loan at Preston surely they plucked him from Newcastle? The same as Nimely at Boro and Norwood at Scunthorpe?

Exactamundo Nick.... anyone who thinks Thorn found all these gem's are deluded. The football business works with agents and managers touting players to clubs on loan. Its your finds faraway or lower leagues are what scouts should be used for. Like Gunnar, Deegan etc..

Bit like that McClean at Sunderland, i doubt his manager touted him but someone found a gem there.

Most loans are touted by managers or touts.

dongonzalos

Just a question ........ did we have a network of scouts working under AT as head scout ? if so who spotted who ? not a dig at AT btw

Its one thing spotting quite another signing a player - and it isnt guaranteed some of the names mentioned would ever have chosen to come here. Press reports from Sunderland for example said they were never going to sell at that point

Click on the link and read the whole article Ranson definately gives the impression he had the otpion to buy Henderson

dongonzalos

I dissagree where you watch a player is irrelevant. You watch them and decide if you think they can develop at your club. If he went to watch himat Preston and told Ranson he is worth signing the fact that he did not watch him in Newcastle reserves is irrelevant. You cannot watch every football match. You just have to make good reccomendations out of the matches you watch. You would be right if Thorn had seen him before at Newcastle said no, then Preston said yes he then played well at Preston and Thorn then changed his mind on that. He goes and watches matches and says if he sees a player worth going for who is in our budget. Where he watches that player and who spots him first is irrelevant. Thorn still has to watch him and make an assessment

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
So I would be a great scout if I said Tevez and Aguero would do well at City? I always thought the good scouts were the ones who find them playing in a park on a Sunday or something. Not one who is playing well for another team already?

Users who are viewing this thread