Dion Dublin in Coventry (1 Viewer)

Would you grab a pint with him if he was in your local?

• Yes

Votes: 76 88.4%
  • No

Votes: 10 11.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jadewal12

What are everyone's thoughts on Dion Dublin? Is he a Coventry Legend? If he was in your local pub, would you be interested in popping over and having a chat with him?

Joy Division

Legend. Just should have been a bit more thoughtful as to how he moved from the club.

torchomatic

I would just ask him if he could refund my ticket and travel costs for the Luton game.

Astute

Legend. Just should have been a bit more thoughtful as to how he moved from the club.

But he didn't ask for a move. He was told he was being sold just after signing a new contract with us when if he went elsewhere he would have got a much bigger offer.

BTW who was in charge of our club when his sale was arranged? :whistle:

albatross

I met (or was confronted by him) him once a Cheltenham Races. He was with the Villa team and I was with a Coach of Cov supporters. After many beers at the end of the day and several renditions of anti Villa songs by us he came over and was genuinely upset that we thought he had deserted the club, said that he had no choice , the club wanted to sell him so he had move.

Ive got a lot of time for him, kept us up s few times , Yes a city legend.

He didn't have to come over and justify himself to us, guess we only see one half of the story.

torchomatic

BBC, November 1998:

Dublin has already been fined two weeks' wages for refusing to play for Coventry last week, and is currently training with the Highfield Road reserves.

Definite legend. Terrible how the club treated him, and made him out to be the bad guy.

Astute

BBC, November 1998:

Dublin has already been fined two weeks' wages for refusing to play for Coventry last week, and is currently training with the Highfield Road reserves.

Which was the time that we were doing the forced sale of him.

torchomatic

We've done this before. I don't think there was a gun to his head. Refusing to play for the team that pays your wages? Nah, inexcusable for me.

Which was the time that we were doing the forced sale of him.

skybluelee

Of course he's a legend. He's one of the finest players ever to pull on a sky blue shirt.

His goal to game ratio over his 4 year stay was better than a goal every 2.5 games.

During 97/98 he was unplayable. He simply toyed with centre halves that year, I'm not sure he missed out in an aerial battle against anybody that entire season.

Add into that he was also good enough to get into almost every PL side at centre half too.

I am at a loss as to how any City fan could even try and build a case against him for being a city legend. Boo fucking hoo, he didn't play against Luton in the League Cup. Get over it.

Covstu

Total legend and formed many a great partnership with Whelan, Hucks etc. Disappointed with the way he left the club (clearly two sides to the story) but over that now.

He is paying by the way.

Of course he's a legend. He's one of the finest players ever to pull on a sky blue shirt.

His goal to game ratio over his 4 year stay was better than a goal every 2.5 games.

During 97/98 he was unplayable. He simply toyed with centre halves that year, I'm not sure he missed out in an aerial battle against anybody that entire season.

Add into that he was also good enough to get into almost every PL side at centre half too.

I am at a loss as to how any City fan could even try and build a case against him for being a city legend. Boo fucking hoo, he didn't play against Luton in the League Cup. Get over it.

!00% Correct

ecky

Thoroughly decent nice bloke
Spoke to him in leamington where he plays his music and he wasps disgusted at what has happened to city
Very down to earth bloke, and he was a great city player for us.
If someone said to me which city striker stood out for you over the years he would be up there, he also could play centre half

Mary_Mungo_Midge

Didn't he play centre-forward for England in that tournament in France ahead of the World Cup/European Championship? A Coventry City England 'number 9'. By any measure, that accolade has to make him a legend. Just try and get your head around that now...

gally9

Best forward apart from Keano i have seen at this club.. he didnt have to go the leicester route though ;)

Sbarcher

It was the extra 1p that did it!

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

I answered 'No' because the question was 'Would you grab a pint with him if he was in your local?' and he's in my local a fair bit and I never have done so only being honest :whistle:
Would always classify him as a legend as i grew up with him as our star man.

Malaka

I was heartbroken when he left, the only hero I have had at Coventry City. I have met him, top bloke, true gent and in my opinion the best player, by far we have had since Tommy Hutch. Keano would have filled his boots in my hero status if we could have had held on to him for longer.

hutch1972

Legend yes , but I am still bitter about the way he got the club to rip up its pay structure to give him his 20k a week only to piss off anyway.
All in all though nobody should begrudge him legend status.

Colonel Mustard

Legend yes , but I am still bitter about the way he got the club to rip up its pay structure to give him his 20k a week only to piss off anyway.

Better that than for him to hand in a transfer request and get more from another club. And he was still a bargain at the price!

chiefdave

Absolute legend. Hucks and Dion was my 'era' I guess when I lived locally and went to every home game as many away games as I could.

I was both furious and devastated when he left but anyone I've talked to since that has any kind of 'inside info' for lack of a better term insists he was done over and basically pushed out.

Should have got more caps for England in my opinion, playing for us probably didn't help with that.

SkyBlueScottie

I met (or was confronted by him) him once a Cheltenham Races. He was with the Villa team and I was with a Coach of Cov supporters. After many beers at the end of the day and several renditions of anti Villa songs by us he came over and was genuinely upset that we thought he had deserted the club, said that he had no choice , the club wanted to sell him so he had move.

Ive got a lot of time for him, kept us up s few times , Yes a city legend.

He didn't have to come over and justify himself to us, guess we only see one half of the story.

Excellent

BBC, November 1998:

He was told he was being sold (against his wishes) and asked not to be picked for a 2nd round cup game... The club, bearing in mind were selling him then released the story in an effort to make out he wanted the move away etc...

BTW I am pretty sure he got the money back.

ajsccfc

I find it hard to hate anyone who's played for us, it takes too much energy. Craig Bellamy was a twat but it was 15 years ago and he's building hospitals for kids. Nicky Summerbee though, FUCK that guy.

torchomatic

BBC Article: After hearing of Villa's interest Dublin promptly rejected Blackburn's approach but has been kept waiting after City insisted they would only listen to the offer from Ewood Park.

He was told he was being sold (against his wishes) and asked not to be picked for a 2nd round cup game... The club, bearing in mind were selling him then released the story in an effort to make out he wanted the move away etc...

BTW I am pretty sure he got the money back.

torchomatic

I don't hate him, would certainly say he fits in the "Legend" category; just think refusing to play and pull on the shirt is shit, no matter what the circumstances are. Particularly when you think how well rewarded he was.

I find it hard to hate anyone who's played for us, it takes too much energy. Craig Bellamy was a twat but it was 15 years ago and he's building hospitals for kids. Nicky Summerbee though, FUCK that guy.

Sky Blue Dal

Definitely would grab a pint and I would buy him 2 back. Always have time for him. Loved it when he was at the club.

Never heard him say anything negative about our club either.

There are two sides to every story.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread