Did Thorn want to sell Turner? (1 Viewer)

CUS Wyken

So you are now finally admitting to chatting bollox as it helps you get through the day

Where did i say that...?? if i didn't believe it i wouldn't post it... but it makes me laugh how you all get excited about so called AT bashing... like he's the best manager we've had since we got relegated when in reality he's the worse (On stats)

the only reason i post is to pass time, like most on here. I wouldn't decline a offer of the pub to stay home and post on here. I rarely post after 5pm becasue i have a life.

Last edited:

Astute

lmao our squad is not soooooooooooo bad that manager cant make subs to change games

i mean bell for baker changed us for the better after all

why cant you just for one second admit AT is not perfect? no one is saying hes terrible,just not friggen perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!

Perfect? Show me where anyone has ever said perfect. He is learning. He is making mistakes. Nobody saying he is terrible? So why do so many want him out everytime we lose and want a manager that is experienced, like AB, Cotterill and most of our past managers over the last 15 years or more

Astute

It passes the working day though mate.

If certain people want to take a message board serious then they really have no life. All that matters is a saturday afternoon at 3pm.

Need I say more. You don't take your own comments seriously.

Colonel Mustard

It has been a bad one. Turner playing his best football ever and weve been left with a striker whose in the same doctors space as Keith oneill and runnar normaann. How can you honestly say we got a good deal there?

In neither post did I say that we got a good deal; I merely said I understood the logic (of dealing from a position of strength to fill a position of weakness). Had McDonald turned out to have a Le Fondre-esque impact, this thread wouldn't exist.

What i don’t get is mate. We have posters on here saying Thorn didn’t want McDonald but was forced upon by SISU but then Thorn comes out in the paper and says Cody was his first choice.

Well I personally don't think McDonald was forced upon Thorn but it may well be the case that Thorn's first choice was ALF due to McDonald's injury problems. The jury's still out as to how good he is when fully fit too.

I don't think Thorn chose to sell Turner though. In my opinion SISU forced that sale. Why in our current situation would Thorn want to sell anybody?

SISU have the final say on who comes and goes and that is why ultimately Thorn has no control over it.

CUS Wyken

Need I say more. You don't take your own comments seriously.

Yet again where did i say my comments seriously? I said a internet message board in general. Come on astute. Thought you were a educated clever one amongst the posters on here.

Grendel

Yet again where did i say my comments seriously? I said a internet message board in general. Come on astute. Thought you were a educated clever one amongst the posters on here.

Perhaps he saw it in the telegraph. Then we know you didn't say it sisu did it on you're behalf.

Grendel

hahahaha like it duffy. They held me to ransom with a gun to my head.

You'll be in that cellar soon. They put at in on away games. Hope it's big.

covcity4life

Perfect? Show me where anyone has ever said perfect. He is learning. He is making mistakes. Nobody saying he is terrible? So why do so many want him out everytime we lose and want a manager that is experienced, like AB, Cotterill and most of our past managers over the last 15 years or more

people want him changed because another manager could do a better job and we might not have time to let thorn develop

as for past managers,everyone is aware that a sacking keeps the cycle going but its also kept us in the championship so whilst it doesnt lead to success,it hasnt led to failure either.

or are you seriously saying no manager could do better than 3rd from bottom?

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Lets just be clear how this works....

SISU do not buy or sell any players ...... what they say is we need this much to get the club through the next few weeks/month and there is this much available to pay wages or bring in players. They set a budget to work to. They will have the final say because any sale/purchase or loan will have an impact on the budget they set.

CEO/Board - the point of contact for any deal is at this level. SISU are informed by them. AT is informed by them. The board have been appointed by SISU to operate the club within the financial constraints decided by SISU. In reality it is the Board that buy or sell players because they deal with the financial nitty gritty of the contracts.

AT - he will give the board details of who he would like to sell buy or keep. He will be told how much is available or if not enough available that in order to bring someone in that he must decide who he can let go. He will be asked to discuss this with the CEO or other nominated board member, both will have some input as to who is sold, brought in or kept. There may be pressure to pick higher earners, but some of those have been retained so it isnt clear there is always that pressure. He has made some of the choices good and bad...... what he doesnt finalise is the terms

SISU will set budgets and rubber stamp deals in or out, negotiated and signed by the board, based on decisions arrived at between AT and the Board, from recommendations by AT that may have to be generated from the financial pressures of keeping the finances going. They all have some input.

That my friends is how things actually work - no rhetoric involved, no AT in or out, no its all SISU's fault, no the Board are mismanaging. In the real world all are bound by the financial realities of keeping the club going

Last edited:

Sick Boy

“I think he can play higher because I don’t think there is anything between him and Scott Dann who I worked with out in Denmark when he was 19 and on loan from Walsall,” said Rioch comparing him to another former Sky Blue now plying his trade in the top flight with Blackburn.

On a side not, is it possible that Dann was recommended by Rioch?

ICHAN

Again sence of reasoning by OSB58, I should imagine every club operates the same, no manager deals with the in's and out's of finances, regarding players, they all I should imagine submit a list, however not at cov because this would not fit into the SISU do all the signings and selling of players without AT having any input.

As I put earlier, I can not see what he actually does do, because according to some he has no input into anything to do with the club, unless we do actually win a game, then he is the only person responsable for the win being a genius.

We could say we do not need him so we could save wages there towards the running of the club, as he does no wrong anyway, and if a fan dare disagree that he is not upto the job then he is labelled an idiot, and other childish names, well I do not think he is anywhere near upto the job, and having followed the club for 40+ years I have just as much right and opinion on the manager as anyone else without being labelled clueless, an idiot, not a real fan, and all the other fucking girlie name calling that get's spouted out.

Maybe I do not want him at the club because I want sisu to have one last throw of the dice to try and secure the club I have supported all these years, stay in this league and fuck all to do with AT being treated unfairly, it's a shame for the bloke, he has a limited side, and all the other excuses, he knew what/ who he was dealing with when he took the job on, and the constraints he would be dealing with, if not then he really is naive.

EleanorRigby

The losers in this are SISU about £2million on the fee when he was sold, possibly £3million in TV money should we go down and and a big fee from a premiership club in the close season which will happen if Cardiff don't go up.

georgehudson

succinct points by OSB & many others, however, surely the crux is who is making the final decision/s,
and, perhaps more importantly, is that decision made on the basis of personal greed,
or, for the benefit of the club,
so far (4 years),
our controllers have shown an abysmal appreciation of how football works,
i'm sure they sit in their ivory towers,

PUSB

It's doesn't matter though georgehudson because apparently they've also shown 'corporate responsibility'. That key ingredient that fills football stadiums the world round :facepalm:

Grendel

It's doesn't matter though georgehudson because apparently they've also shown 'corporate responsibility'. That key ingredient that fills football stadiums the world round :facepalm:

The only way we fill a stadium is if we play Chelsea or Man Utd. Nothing else will fill it.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
actually first step is to ensure we actually have a club long term to have a successful team

CUS Wyken

and we do that by sacrificing the team on the pitch, further decreasing the gates?

You don't think SISU have the club's future at heart do you?

Or take Pompey for example..

I'm no way SISU's biggest fan BUT look at the club itself. The problems off the pitch for city began long before SISU came here.

Pompey situation and our situation are two extremes.

Pompey have been spending money well beyond their means to the extent that they owe the community not just certain players.

What we have here on the other hand is nothing but a fire sale by an investment firm trying to recoup some money before clearing off. You cannot tell me that the proposed sale of Connor Thomas *was necessary for example.

Apart from their gung-ho approach to matters on the pitch they also haven't a clue how to get the local community on side and have lost touch with the local public (hence the fact that the council have no intention of selling them the ground).

The latter is reason enough for a change of ownership.

CUS Wyken

Pompey situation and our situation are two extremes.

Pompey have been spending money well beyond their means to the extent that they owe the community not just certain players.

What we have here on the other hand is nothing but a fire sale by an investment firm trying to recoup some money before clearing off. You cannot tell me that the proposed sale of Connor Thomas *was necessary for example.

Apart from their gung-ho approach to matters on the pitch they also haven't a clue how to get the local community on side and have lost touch with the local public (hence the fact that the council have no intention of selling them the ground).

The latter is reason enough for a change of ownership.

Didn't we do the same under Richardson all them years ago? Hence why were in the predicment we are in. The club were in trouble before SISU came along. SISU were naive to think they can make a quick quid basically and its back fired.

I'm all for a change of ownership so aslong as the new owners invest.

Everyone needs a reality check. The only way our club can get out of trouble of the pitch is someone or a group of people who are willing to lose 80+ million.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
and we do that by sacrificing the team on the pitch, further decreasing the gates?

You don't think SISU have the club's future at heart do you?

Ok will start by saying I am not a supporter of SISU never have been and yes I have a decent handle on the financial realities of CCFC. Thats all the justification of my position on CCFC/SISU/GH i am giving

ok explain to me where all this extra money comes from to pay players to under achieve on the pitch at a time we are making upwards of £3m loss (which means that without some extra cash from somewhere we cannot actually pay the bills we already have).

Fans have got to get into their heads that the long term future of CCFC only exists if someone (SISU/GH/a n other) gets to grips with the finances of the club. That means proper cost control, getting value for money, at a level we can actually afford. We do not have wealthy deep pocket owners, we do not have assets to mortgage, we do not have lots of players to sell. Without the the finances being sorted and affordable then there is no team on the pitch long term. That may mean that we get relegated that may mean further cost reductions to match income. Without sorting out the finances then CCFC eventually cannot pay the players. This is not about this season it is about having a season 10, 20 etc years from now. It isnt about SISU or GH this needs to be done whoever is in charge. Of course the first step to this is sorting out the finances - it isnt about short term

Yes you could argue that SISU have the clubs future very much at heart - it is the only way they get £30m + back for their investors of course they need a good future. But if you think that most owners do it for some altruistic motive and devotion to the fans then I think you need to look at the realities a little more closely.

Last edited:

dongonzalos

To clarify;

“Cody is an exciting player who has a proven track record.

"We believe that he is capable of producing at this level and we are delighted to have him on board.

“I have been looking at him for a considerable time and he was my number one choice as a recruit so I am delighted we have secured his services.”

Fees are undisclosed but McDonalds is estimated at £400,000 and Le Fondre £350,000

Sorry If I caused confunsion here, I believe that if SISU had stumped up what was required to buy Le Fondre he would now be a Coventry City player and Cody would not. Their manager said it at the time. Why would he lie. Coventry were then forced to sign Cody I dont think any of know what the exact figure was but surfice to say it is likely it was less than Le Fondre due to what I have just said. Or they are paying in some sort of instalments. Thorn did come out saying Cody was always his number one choice, I think that was just after Le Fondre said he was going to a bigger club. My personal view is Le Fondre was his number one choice but Thorn is not going to say that is he

Nick

Administrator
So Thorn lied too? He didn't HAVE to say anything about him being number one choice. Just that he is glad he is here etc.

dongonzalos

ony Stewart - the Rotherham Chairman rejected Sheff Weds latest offer for Le Fondre but also added
"Coventry came in with a joke bid a fortnight or so ago but I am sure they weren’t serious.

“I got the impression it was more a case of them wanting to show their supporters that they were trying to do something."

dongonzalos

However I dont think Thorn has nothing to do with it. I don't think he does the bids, I dont think he does contratc negiotiations. I Think SISU have the final say on who goes and who comes. However I think Thorn tells them who he wants and they try and do it. He would have said he wanted Le Fonde they cocked it up, He would have then said try Cody and they managed to get something right. Although they will sell him in the summer

Users who are viewing this thread