Diabolical city .. Ccfc is dead: Thats me finished (1 Viewer)

CUS Wyken

2 years ago around this time we had 27k against Leeds. So in the space of 2 years we've lost 10k potential regulars because of dross football. For many last season was the nail in the coffin. Agree with them or not, it's a fact of life. Many cant afford it or even still don't wanna waste there hard earned on 11 individuals who have let our club badge down again. I prefer away days myself and have lost interest in home games. The ground, the atmosphere and most off all the Ricoh. Going to home games doesn't give me that exciting buzz I used to feel whereas away days still do.

ccfcway

2 years ago around this time we had 27k against Leeds. So in the space of 2 years we've lost 10k potential regulars because of dross football. For many last season was the nail in the coffin. Agree with them or not, it's a fact of life. Many cant afford it or even still don't wanna waste there hard earned on 11 individuals who have let our club badge down again. I prefer away days myself and have lost interest in home games. The ground, the atmosphere and most off all the Ricoh. Going to home games doesn't give me that exciting buzz I used to feel whereas away days still do.

that was my last game at the ricoh. Before anyone comments, I have since spent way over 5k flying over and supporting the team away from home, but canmt bring myself to give SISU 1p of my money. The image of Turner hobbling around the pitch is strange to me, and knowing how close we were to challanging is very annoying .

The rest is history

GhostTown

after 30 years isnt he entitled to his opinion and deserve some respect? and he wont really support another team....will he?

I've been away for years and started going up again this season and yes it is as bad as its ever been, but no one going to run off and buy a Villa scarf are they!

100 miles from Cov.

Haven't been up this season(210 mile round trip), not going to arsenal (do not want to be accused of jumping on the bandwagon). The love, the passion has gone. He is not the only one. Had some great days over the years following the city but just had enough. Slate me all you like but the feeling is not exclusive.

Haven't been up this season(210 mile round trip), not going to arsenal (do not want to be accused of jumping on the bandwagon). The love, the passion has gone. He is not the only one. Had some great days over the years following the city but just had enough. Slate me all you like but the feeling is not exclusive.

I get this completely. It's sad, but if you don't feel a connection then what's the point??
None of the players are linked to the city, the manager is the same. There isn't one loyal member of staff involved in the games on a Saturday.
Good man. Go and support a team that'll appreciate a few quid for a ticket. I used to go and watch Bath City when I couldn't travel to games. It was great knowing that paying £10 to get in actually got stretched and appreciated.

ccfcway

if you don't feel a connection then what's the point??.

i think thats where most of those who have walked away are !

a massive shame, and a generation lost

10-20 year olds, how many have goen elsewhere, because there are many football fans in coventry, they just dont support coventry !

100 miles from Cov.

The connection is still there. I will always look for cov's result before anyone else but the fun has gone. I cannot justify the expense for something I do not enjoy. I hope it changes but as it stands I am done. Fair play to those who go but is it enjoyable?

Ashdown

I couldn't support another football team, not ever, not even England over COV but I'm reaching the end of my tether, not just with City but with football overall.....................its so over rated and they are so over paid even at the lower levels, today was a new low, one that will sow a seed for many.

ccfcway

bloody hell, today was a new low ?, that must be bad, not the 4-1 during the week against shresbury ?

100 miles from Cov.

It is easy to forget the results now! As I have seen mentioned on this forum a few times, when city concede, more and more just smile. What's the point of getting annoyed by it?

Plymouth Sky Blue

I have been a fan for 30 years., home and away. All of my friends at the match have dithered away, part of the 15 to 20,000 not prepared to pay to watch anymore. Today i sat in the ricoh ashamed to be there head in hands, wondering why i was there... . What a horrible stadium, what a horrible atmosphere. What horrible crap fans we have. Did any of us sing or even chant today??? It was dead. Its a wake in there

for me the club has died, i felt like a fish out of water in that stadium today, i didn't feel any loyalty to the group of players before me, i was totally embarrassed by the way our players were so very poor, lacking of skill, their fitness and passing ability has to be questioned. I can not honestly point out one player i can be positive about. I detest the amount of money these no marks earn. I really have started to hate our club and the players in specific for robbing us of our hard earned cash, while they amount basic pub players. I mean that, there are plenty of park players in coventry that could have played better and tried harder today... I feel ripped off

i can not face another match inside the ricoh, it is for me the coffin .

To be honest i am considering supporting another club, because i just don't feel the love for city any more, you know when a generation of new music comes around and you miss it completely, or you just dont like it?? I suppose i have just moved on from ccfc. I am open to criticism i know that, im not a real fan i suppose because i am turning my back on the club. I would rather pay my £22 to take my kids out ... Its much more fun, i get value for money and at least with them i know im on to a winner... Watching ccfc for me has now become too much like listening to adelle, excruciating and simply not my generation.
I bet those old boys today were embarrassed at what they saw today, they who earned next to nothing, were not flash harrys or felt the need to eat at nandos 7 days a week ..

Goodbye ccfc i will miss you and think about the good times, when at least our players tried hard for a lot less money, time for me to leave you behind.

I've sometimes over recent years thought about joining the green army down here in plymouth, although they've had it bad over the last couple of years, they do seem to have turned it around. However, it's impossible, my blood runs Sky Blue and no matter how far we sink ill never be able switch. I just don't understand it!!!
Good times, or better times at least I'm sure will return one day!!!

That said, my sons Friary Mill under 8's team is fun to watch, kids who do their best because they want to!!!!

Last edited:

Blinxs

It really seems to be the money that has killed the game off. I was at a stage a few years back when i almost gave up on football. I wasnt around during the glory days of the 60's, 70's and some of the 80's but followed Cov late 80's and 90s and then it seemed it wasnt about the football, more about the money. Long are the days of players making 500/600 games for a club, the king saga really annoyed me although we wont ever know what really happened there. However it is difficult to completely lose the passion and eventually it came back (although sometime i wished it didnt ;)). I fully appreciate how someone can come disconnected for a time and hopefully they will get the passion back but i can't see how someone just completely gives up on a team and looks elsewhere????

CUS Wyken

It really seems to be the money that has killed the game off. I was at a stage a few years back when i almost gave up on football. I wasnt around during the glory days of the 60's, 70's and some of the 80's but followed Cov late 80's and 90s and then it seemed it wasnt about the football, more about the money. Long are the days of players making 500/600 games for a club, the king saga really annoyed me although we wont ever know what really happened there. However it is difficult to completely lose the passion and eventually it came back (although sometime i wished it didnt ;)). I fully appreciate how someone can come disconnected for a time and hopefully they will get the passion back but i can't see how someone just completely gives up on a team and looks elsewhere????

I've said before on here about fans getting priced out and got ridiculed for it. In my eyes, football is not a working class sport anymore. Sky caused this

Blinxs

I've said before on here about fans getting priced out and got ridiculed for it. In my eyes, football is not a working class sport anymore. Sky caused this

Didn't they use to say football was played by gentleman and watched by thugs (not sure if that is the right word but i'm sure something along those lines and whatever it was it was harsh but it made it's point) whilst rugby was played by thugs and watched by gentleman?

I only hope the good old days come back and Sky piss off (or at least show a fair representation of all the leagues in england)

100 miles from Cov.

I would love to get the passion back! We need a successful team that is challenging. I am one of the 10-12 thousand who have had enough for now. If things change then the pull is still there. I would want to come back. We are at a very low point and this is when we all need to go but I still need a little bit of hope first.

CUS Wyken

Didn't they use to say football was played by gentleman and watched by thugs (not sure if that is the right word but i'm sure something along those lines and whatever it was it was harsh but it made it's point) whilst rugby was played by thugs and watched by gentleman?

I only hope the good old days come back and Sky piss off (or at least show a fair representation of all the leagues in england)

That's the saying mate. End of the day, you question cov fans, the majority will say take them back to good old Highfield road. The ground most of us grew up at. The Ricoh for me is a cracking stadium but is not a football ground.

Blinxs

That's the saying mate. End of the day, you question cov fans, the majority will say take them back to good old Highfield road. The ground most of us grew up at. The Ricoh for me is a cracking stadium but is not a football ground.

We were always going to move it just seems we picked the absolute worse time to do it and it has cost us big time. I have no problem with the ricoh and also think it is a great stadium as well as football ground (if we can get 30k in there) but think a lot of people have associated it with our downfall and so that is why so many want Highfield Road back as it was where we lived during the good times

CUS Wyken

We were always going to move it just seems we picked the absolute worse time to do it and it has cost us big time. I have no problem with the ricoh and also think it is a great stadium as well as football ground (if we can get 30k in there) but think a lot of people have associated it with our downfall and so that is why so many want Highfield Road back as it was where we lived during the good times

Mate, the whole experience at the Ricoh is rubbish, well for me anyway. Lack of atmosphere (yes I know a shit team don't help) lack of decent boozers, location but most off all it's similar to 10 other grounds across the country and has no identity.

As song goes, take me home, to the place I belong, the west terrace to see the city, take me home, Highfield road.

Blinxs

Mate, the whole experience at the Ricoh is rubbish, well for me anyway. Lack of atmosphere (yes I know a shit team don't help) lack of decent boozers, location but most off all it's similar to 10 other grounds across the country and has no identity.

As song goes, take me home, to the place I belong, the west terrace to see the city, take me home, Highfield road.

Well i can agree on lack of atmosphere (don't drink, live in Oxfordshire so getting to either stadium was/is a little bit of a mission and dont know any stadium like it, some stadiums are similar but all unique) but i do see your point. Think over time the ricoh will feel a bit more like home but at least we can remember the great Highfield Road unlike future generations

100 miles from Cov.

Even if it wasn't Highfield Road, even if it was a smaller Ricoh (about 23k) and much closer to the city centre it would have felt more like home by now.

southern_comfort

Facebook User
I don't see how you can just switch to support another team ? (if you were serious) its in the blood. I can understand your dummy throwing. On my way home after the Stevenage game, I was at a low in my support for a team of players that I had no connection with, I was looking forward to todays game with a new manager and new signings a new era was about to start, what did I see ? same sh*t players still looking lazy over paid and unfit over 90 mins. but its Mr Robbins first game he can now see the sh*t thats in the squad and clear them out. If I dont see any improved effort in the players in the next couple of games. Then my fishing rod will be seeing a lot of action on my free saturdays.

richtom

from my point you cant go and support another team:{never get the passion } but i agree with some points-having watch the city since 77 {8 years old} i got the bug and loved it and watched us home away for years till 2008 and then realised i was getting bored and feed up with shit football and its got worse lol since i left and other reason i stopped was some fans were having ago at players after a min and continue all game and dont get me wrong i still go now and again and went to crewe with my lad :{for his 12 year bday present~}and he loved the away whole day but for me i thought passion in the players {none} and why?

when i 1st went up we had crowds over 20000+ in 77 but then in 83 things changed a bit like now and crowds went 8000 ish but after 87 went up and got up 20000 again for several years in 90s -

fans will come back when you see passion and the will to win games and belive me we will all come back if we can win and start climing the table

Greggs

switching clubs is like sleeping with your sister, possible but frowned upon.

Grendel

Excuse my French, but there are some real pricks on this forum (as there are on all forums unfortunately). The pricks that say "you're not a real fan" or "go support Villa or Liecester" etc.
If these pricks are stupid enough that they will accept anything that happens because it is "their club" then they truly deserve what they get. If any sub-standard level of football is suitable for them because it is "their club" then they are truly stupid and again deserve what they get.
A fan of 30 years comes on here to say that he cannot take the dross anymore emotionally and that his money is better spent on other and better entertainment for him and his family. Yes, perhaps it was a bit over the top, but I have to assume it was sincere and that as a true fan he was hurting and felt the need to say these things to fellow fans.
Look back over recent times on this forum and look at how many fans have said they give up, or how many fans have said they just laugh now when we concede another stupid goal, or how they have said they just feel numb and can't feel anything more for the club, the team, the useless overpaid players, the series of managers none of whom can turn things around, and above all the series of cheating (bordering on criminal APPARANTLY) owners and board members that have systematically dragged our club down to where we are.
Many of the so-called "true fans" on here have said "you'll be back when we start winning" and such sentiments. You have no proof it will get better, and in fact all of the evidence is pointing to it getting worse and worse. Some start to the new managers honeymoon today with another three new players, a new manager and at home "only" to Casrlisle. Some people need to wake up to the fact that it is very likely to get much, much worse before it gets better - if it ever does.
Let me ask you your thoughts on what our magnificent and magnanimous owners will do it we get relegated to the fourth division of English football, or even into the non-league (eminently possible the way things are headed at the moment). Within a resonably short time of this moment we may be facing administration or liquidation, be it voluntary of forced. Do you really trust SISU to stay around if we are relegated yet again? The elimination of our club from this cycle of existance is still very much a serious threat.
Remember, he is hardly alone. 52,000 fans at HR home to wolves and now not even getting 10,000 in league 1. If we get relegated again, we might be the best-supported team in the 4th division with 3-5,000 fans. And if we get relegated again to non-league, or if we go bankrupt and are put down several leagues (if we survive), how many of you lot are going to turn up at games? A couple of hundred if the weather is fine and there is nothing better to do that day?

Of course his saying that he might even look around for another club to support was over the top, but in all honesty I find myself and my family putting much more thought, enrgy and family cash into ice hockey than football nowadays as the beatiful game has ceased to be beautiful for me at all levels and is now only about the money and no longer about local lads playing for there local team supported by local fans. This is why I would actaully not be unhappy to see cov as an amateur local team again. Up Singers FC, up the Bantams! Yes, I knew this club before Jimmy Hill and before the sky blue song etc. (and although many cov fans will not hear it, our Jimmy Hill bears a significant responsibility for the destruction of the sport - argue amongst yourselves on this one - most of you weren't even born when it happened).

So, I am not going to go support incester or the vile, I am not going to look for another team to support, but like about 42,000 other fans (remember how man fans we were at HR that day at home to Wolves, and now we are down below 10,000!), I have lost that excitement that supporting cov used to give me. I will always look for their results and wish them well. I will still look over the forums to see what is going on. But, there is no urgency or ferver or fanaticism about it any more, and most of my sporting energy and money will go to ice hockey, not to football where I feel it is not appreciated but is abused in the worst possible way.
Coventry will always be in my mind, I will always look out for them, but as things are I am not going to waste very much money, time or emotion on them anymore - just as many of you have stated on this and other forums.

Submits response and awaits the peurile responses that the OP received.

Oh go and support Leicester.

blueflint

my opinion the rot set in with sky as they pumped cash into prem and rich clubs got richer poor clubs poorer.we are a poor club financially our game as caught up at last.i'm dissolusioned with football in general and will be until a level playing field is restored.perhaps then people will start to follow their local team rather than glory hunt. rant over

Blinxs

When the talk started about a premier league outside of the football league, that was when football in England took the turn that destroyed "Football as we knew it".
Of course, we cov fans were all for it as we were within the top 20 in the old Division 1 at that time and therefore would be one of the grounding clubs in the new "special" league (except many of us also thought how much tougher it was going to be to keep on escaping relegation with three less clubs to take our place in the relegation zone).
And blueflint hits it on the nail for me with the fact that Sky and their money were also a significant force in the downfall of "Football as we knew it".
But I still claim that Jimmy Hill started it with the abolition of the maximum wage, followed by the Bosman ruling and Sky and the Premier League etc. :whistle:

Unfortunately it is life. There are people at the top who can't work out why people are the bottom are struggling until they are in that position themselves. Football is now the same and the only way to change it is with rules like maximum wage etc. Thing is it has to be global otherwise the 'good' players will go abroad and the english leagues will decline but i can't see the corrupt Blatter accepting that. Like Savage Garden once sang 'Financial freedom isnt fair, the only ones who disagree are millionaires.'

Black6Osprey

No one is enjoying this at the moment, its pretty painful and makes you wish you did support someone else or just get in a different sport but we've just got to try and get through it (again). It wasn't great today but again with a little more luck we could have won and certainly deserved at least a point. Robins has identified that players need to give more or leave so I'm encouraged that he's going to try and sort it. I still think we can climb away from the bottom of the table but my expectations for this season are no more than that. It's okay in my book to vent your anger and frustration because in truth we all feel the same.

Macca

No one is enjoying this at the moment, its pretty painful and makes you wish you did support someone else or just get in a different sport but we've just got to try and get through it (again). It wasn't great today but again with a little more luck we could have won and certainly deserved at least a point. Robins has identified that players need to give more or leave so I'm encouraged that he's going to try and sort it. I still think we can climb away from the bottom of the table but my expectations for this season are no more than that. It's okay in my book to vent your anger and frustration because in truth we all feel the same.

I know we have to give it time but as you say it is hard to disguise the disappointment when yet another disappointing match day sees us beaten. How I wish the manager would have arrived Pre season

Brighton Sky Blue

Excuse my French, but there are some real pricks on this forum (as there are on all forums unfortunately). The pricks that say "you're not a real fan" or "go support Villa or Liecester" etc.
If these pricks are stupid enough that they will accept anything that happens because it is "their club" then they truly deserve what they get. If any sub-standard level of football is suitable for them because it is "their club" then they are truly stupid and again deserve what they get.
A fan of 30 years comes on here to say that he cannot take the dross anymore emotionally and that his money is better spent on other and better entertainment for him and his family. Yes, perhaps it was a bit over the top, but I have to assume it was sincere and that as a true fan he was hurting and felt the need to say these things to fellow fans.
Look back over recent times on this forum and look at how many fans have said they give up, or how many fans have said they just laugh now when we concede another stupid goal, or how they have said they just feel numb and can't feel anything more for the club, the team, the useless overpaid players, the series of managers none of whom can turn things around, and above all the series of cheating (bordering on criminal APPARANTLY) owners and board members that have systematically dragged our club down to where we are.
Many of the so-called "true fans" on here have said "you'll be back when we start winning" and such sentiments. You have no proof it will get better, and in fact all of the evidence is pointing to it getting worse and worse. Some start to the new managers honeymoon today with another three new players, a new manager and at home "only" to Casrlisle. Some people need to wake up to the fact that it is very likely to get much, much worse before it gets better - if it ever does.
Let me ask you your thoughts on what our magnificent and magnanimous owners will do it we get relegated to the fourth division of English football, or even into the non-league (eminently possible the way things are headed at the moment). Within a resonably short time of this moment we may be facing administration or liquidation, be it voluntary of forced. Do you really trust SISU to stay around if we are relegated yet again? The elimination of our club from this cycle of existance is still very much a serious threat.
Remember, he is hardly alone. 52,000 fans at HR home to wolves and now not even getting 10,000 in league 1. If we get relegated again, we might be the best-supported team in the 4th division with 3-5,000 fans. And if we get relegated again to non-league, or if we go bankrupt and are put down several leagues (if we survive), how many of you lot are going to turn up at games? A couple of hundred if the weather is fine and there is nothing better to do that day?

Of course his saying that he might even look around for another club to support was over the top, but in all honesty I find myself and my family putting much more thought, enrgy and family cash into ice hockey than football nowadays as the beatiful game has ceased to be beautiful for me at all levels and is now only about the money and no longer about local lads playing for there local team supported by local fans. This is why I would actaully not be unhappy to see cov as an amateur local team again. Up Singers FC, up the Bantams! Yes, I knew this club before Jimmy Hill and before the sky blue song etc. (and although many cov fans will not hear it, our Jimmy Hill bears a significant responsibility for the destruction of the sport - argue amongst yourselves on this one - most of you weren't even born when it happened).

So, I am not going to go support incester or the vile, I am not going to look for another team to support, but like about 42,000 other fans (remember how man fans we were at HR that day at home to Wolves, and now we are down below 10,000!), I have lost that excitement that supporting cov used to give me. I will always look for their results and wish them well. I will still look over the forums to see what is going on. But, there is no urgency or ferver or fanaticism about it any more, and most of my sporting energy and money will go to ice hockey, not to football where I feel it is not appreciated but is abused in the worst possible way.
Coventry will always be in my mind, I will always look out for them, but as things are I am not going to waste very much money, time or emotion on them anymore - just as many of you have stated on this and other forums.

Submits response and awaits the peurile responses that the OP received.

A huge block of text but close to the way I'm feeling at the moment. The City doing so poorly for so long becomes tedious to watch and waving every other Tom, Dick and Harry club as they pass us by on the way up (Hull, Burnley, Blackpool, Wigan, and countless others) as we remain rooted in the bottom half of lower and lower divisions has taken most of my football enthusiasm away. All I'd need to have it back would be for my club once, just once, to achieve something.

Users who are viewing this thread