Match Thread Derby Match Thread (3 Viewers)

Mucca Mad Boys

Yes teams designed to play that way. I’ve got no issue with any style or formation you want on the whole, my issue is this formation doesn’t suit this squad. It means we have to play people out of position and drop some of our better players. And for that reason I don’t think it’ll work.

We just don’t have the wide AMs, the ST, or the fullbacks for 4231 IMO and the change is nothing but the fact we had a tough run prior to the break and overreacted.

Yes, and we’ve improved our results from the international break too. So if it’s an overreaction, clearly it’s a good one.

I agree our personnel doesn’t best suit 4-5-1/4-2-3-1 but the results don’t lie.

When Matty Godden returns, there’s a case to potentially play 5-3-2, without him, the case is pretty weak because Biamou nor Baka are really impactful enough as starters.

Evo1883

We can agree there mate. Genuinely hope you’re bumping this thread at the end of the month to gloat.

I won't gloat, I've already told you I like the wingback system.. I like it more than the formation we are playing, but in the last 3 matches we've played 4 atb we've got a good return on points and that's all I care about... Play 352 532 whatever... Just stay up

TomRad85

I think we'll have better survival chances by being more positive, not gung ho, against the teams around us. We bizarrely showed much more positive intent away at the league leaders than the league's bottom side
With regards to the teams around us I completely agree.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

clint van damme

They can give you an idea of where you may be lacking... But as I stated they don't take any consideration of player ability, keeper ability... Formation... Nothing.

Just gives a score based on where you take a shot from basically

Derbys Xg was better than Bristol city's when they played the other week yet they lost and didn't score.
Like all stats there's only so much they can tell you

clint van damme

Yes but I’m saying we scored a lot of goals using a system some have written off

I've said before it's not the magic bullet people keep making it out to be.

You can have two up top and still leave them isolated.
Similarly you can.play one up top but give them appropriate support

We had 5 men.in the box when we scored last might with Hamer arriving on the edge.
I can't remember us getting Walker plus 3 others in the box all game.

Robins did the right thing by tightening up hence 7 points in the last 4 compared to 7 in the previous 10 (I appreciate the quality of opposition.is a big factor) but he took it too far last night by not taking the shackles off on the hour mark whether by bringing on a second striker up pushing the midfield up nearer to Walker

All in all though, so far so good and still above Bayern Wycombe!

Frostie

Last season we were 7th in the xg table and looked likely to go on and win the league anyway... These stats are almost pointless

Like sunderland this season, top of league 1 xg... Not even in the playoffs and 9 teams have scored more than them

These stats don't take into account a shot from 15 yards will probably go in more often if Lionel Messi is taking the shot over matty godden for example... Or the quality of the keeper they are shooting at etc etc... They are in effect, shit

I don't think you fully understand xG. Given enough of a dataset it is historically very accurate, there's a reason pretty much every professional club uses it.

re: the League One table last season, xG alone wouldn't give an accurate reflection no but as we all know we didn't blow many teams away & rather were built on a solid defence so you'd need to look at our defensive record and/or xGa too.

Screenshot_20201202-174958~2.png

re: Messi vs Godden etc. xG is designed not to take into account the player taking the shot, that's kind of the point.
It gives an average of how often that type of shot, from that position would be scored. Somebody like Messi, Kane & other clinical goalscorers regularly exceed their xG.

xG is designed to be used over an extended period of time, typically at least a season to give the most accurate data.
Over the course of a season if your xG is low then you are simply not creating enough good goalscoring chances.

Brighton Sky Blue

I've said before it's not the magic bullet people keep making it out to be.

You can have two up top and still leave them isolated.
Similarly you can.play one up top but give them appropriate support

We had 5 men.in the box when we scored last might with Hamer arriving on the edge.
I can't remember us getting Walker plus 3 others in the box all game.

Robins did the right thing by tightening up hence 7 points in the last 4 compared to 7 in the previous 10 (I appreciate the quality of opposition.is a big factor) but he took it too far last night by not taking the shackles off on the hour mark whether by bringing on a second striker up pushing the midfield up nearer to Walker

All in all though, so far so good and still above Bayern Wycombe!

It’s the sarcy stuff at the end that pisses me off. Honestly I’ll just not bother giving my view in future, not worth the hassle and at the end of my tether with other stuff anyway

clint van damme

It’s the sarcy stuff at the end that pisses me off. Honestly I’ll just not bother giving my view in future, not worth the hassle and at the end of my tether with other stuff anyway

Absolutely fucking sick.of the endless stream of negative piss from you and others to be honest. Especially when most of the criticism is ill thought out bollocks from people who said staying up would be an achievement.

Brighton Sky Blue

Absolutely fucking sick.of the endless stream of negative piss from you and others to be honest. Especially when most of the criticism is ill thought out bollocks from people who said staying up would be an achievement.

I don’t have the energy or the time for this. You know what kind of issues I have going on and if you want to write stuff like that go abuse someone else. I’m done with it, it’s not worth it when real life is hard enough at the moment.

Astute

I'm waiting for the negativity about our game against Cardiff using the same tactics.

Or is it we beat them and in their two games since they have scored 7 and conceded no goals. Can't work it out myself.

Brighton Sky Blue

I'm waiting for the negativity about our game against Cardiff using the same tactics.

Or is it we beat them and in their two games since they have scored 7 and conceded no goals. Can't work it out myself.

Prior to that they were on a pretty rotten run. Since losing to us Harris has fired them up. Now to be called a melt or fucking clueless or wanting the team to lose etc etc

We all support the same team. We have different views on how best to get results. That should be it

clint van damme

They gifted us a goal remember, that's why we won!
Honestly tired of the constant slagging of the manager and the players.
Everything we get wrong is a disaster, everything we get right is luck or because someone else fucked up.

It's fucking depressing.
People need to remember that this time a few years ago we had Russell Slate in charge and were heading for L2

procdoc

It was pretty euphoric on Saturday but that doesn’t fit the narrative that we want the team to lose and only focus on the negatives.
You’re acting like the most negative person on here. I’m sorry you have stuff going on in your life, we all have shit going on but you are acting as if we are bottom of the league

Brighton Sky Blue

You’re acting like the most negative person on here. I’m sorry you have stuff going on in your life, we all have shit going on but you are acting as if we are bottom of the league

That isn’t true though is it all I’ve fundamentally said is I think the set up is funnily enough too negative. Other people say basically the same as me and I don’t see the insults and sarcy jabs going in. I haven’t laid into players or even personally on the manager I just disagreed strongly with how he’s approached certain games.

procdoc

That isn’t true though is it all I’ve fundamentally said is I think the set up is funnily enough too negative. Other people say basically the same as me and I don’t see the insults and sarcy jabs going in. I haven’t laid into players or even personally on the manager I just disagreed strongly with how he’s approached certain games.
I see it from the perspective that we were conceding a shit load of goals and we needed to do something to tighten up. It’s all about now finding that balance. I don’t think we played well by any stretch but we didn’t lose and that’s the main thing for me. Plus we did create chances and had a goal ruled out. I’d love nothing more than to see us playing free-flowing attacking football, but not if it’s going to get us relegated

Brighton Sky Blue

I see it from the perspective that we were conceding a shit load of goals and we needed to do something to tighten up. It’s all about now finding that balance. I don’t think we played well by any stretch but we didn’t lose and that’s the main thing for me. Plus we did create chances and had a goal ruled out. I’d love nothing more than to see us playing free-flowing attacking football, but not if it’s going to get us relegated

Which is fine I just feel the reaction to some of my posts has been disproportionate, sometimes personal and not really warranted. Particularly when Biamou aside I haven’t gone after individual players or even really the manager all that much. Plus it should be clear when we do well I’m as happy as anyone else.

procdoc

Which is fine I just feel the reaction to some of my posts has been disproportionate, sometimes personal and not really warranted. Particularly when Biamou aside I haven’t gone after individual players or even really the manager all that much. Plus it should be clear when we do well I’m as happy as anyone else.
Please don’t take anything I say personally, I have nothing against you and have agreed with many of your posts over the years.
I think we will need to perform better on Saturday no matter what formation we play

Brighton Sky Blue

Please don’t take anything I say personally, I have nothing against you and have agreed with many of your posts over the years.
I think we will need to perform better on Saturday no matter what formation we play

Well there I think most people agree. And as the ‘block’ list shows we have the chance to already get ahead of the curve on Saturday.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

That defender crossed the ball in that lead to the equaliser?

In actuality, it’s no different bringing on a striker who goes on to score a goal? Or a midfielder who gets an assist.

Had we lost the game, what you’re saying would make more sense - but we got a result, and the subs had the desired effect.

Also, Hamer had so much space outside the box because Baka, Biamou and the rest were in the box being marked. 1 striker frees up a CB to maybe close down Hamer.

It seems to me like you are saying we got a desired result so it doesn't matter. There is no real counter argument to the fact the tactical decisions were terrible.

Yes, we scored an equaliser. It was lucky. If we carry on playing like that it we won't get away with it very often. I don't know about you, but I don't want to see any more taxi threads.

Mucca Mad Boys

It seems to me like you are saying we got a desired result so it doesn't matter. There is no real counter argument to the fact the tactical decisions were terrible.

Yes, we scored an equaliser. It was lucky. If we carry on playing like that it we won't get away with it very often. I don't know about you, but I don't want to see any more taxi threads.

What tactical masterclass would you have done?

Late in the game, you throw the kitchen sink at the opposition. We did that, and it worked - MR set out for the subs to do something, in the last two games substitutes have earned us a point.

Again, football is an outcome-based industry. Whilst I enjoyed watching us against Forest and Watford more than the last two games... I'm a lot more happy with 2 points vs 0 points.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

What tactical masterclass would you have done?

Late in the game, you throw the kitchen sink at the opposition. We did that, and it worked - MR set out for the subs to do something, in the last two games substitutes have earned us a point.

Again, football is an outcome-based industry. Whilst I enjoyed watching us against Forest and Watford more than the last two games... I'm a lot more happy with 2 points vs 0 points.

Yes, you throw the kitchen sink at them and react immediately. 99.9% of the time you change it like he did and nothing happens. He didn't bring another striker on until the last minute. This shouldn't have been as a delayed reaction either. Everyone was screaming for changes 15 minutes before we conceded. If we had been proactive and taken off some of the passengers we could have taken it to them and got 3 points.

As I said, on this occasion we got lucky with a sweet strike from Hamer. How you can bury your head in the sand and forget 89 minutes of bilge before that is incredibly short sighted. They very nearly made it 2-0 by hitting the bar and I'm still not sure how he missed that.

The performance and tactics were no where near good enough. A snatch and grab point was lucky in the end and I don't think they should be resting on their laurels at all following that.

87 n all that

Yes, you throw the kitchen sink at them and react immediately. 99.9% of the time you change it like he did and nothing happens. He didn't bring another striker on until the last minute. This shouldn't have been as a delayed reaction either. Everyone was screaming for changes 15 minutes before we conceded. If we had been proactive and taken off some of the passengers we could have taken it to them and got 3 points.

As I said, on this occasion we got lucky with a sweet strike from Hamer. How you can bury your head in the sand and forget 89 minutes of bilge before that is incredibly short sighted. They very nearly made it 2-0 by hitting the bar and I'm still not sure how he missed that.

The performance and tactics were no where near good enough. A snatch and grab point was lucky in the end and I don't think they should be resting on their laurels at all following that.
I doubt they will. It was fucking poor but MR is doing the best with what he’s got available. I was happy in the end because it was a point won. Before the game I wanted all 3 against bottom of the table with a novice manager. He should have made changes after 60-65 but didn’t. Im guessing because the options on the bench aren’t great in terms of changing a game. Let’s face it, we didn’t have a recognised match winner or changer on the bench but it’s what we’ve got. It’s going to be a long old season and once we get beat let’s moan and then park that game and comment on the next one.

Brighton Sky Blue

I doubt they will. It was fucking poor but MR is doing the best with what he’s got available. I was happy in the end because it was a point won. Before the game I wanted all 3 against bottom of the table with a novice manager. He should have made changes after 60-65 but didn’t. Im guessing because the options on the bench aren’t great in terms of changing a game. Let’s face it, we didn’t have a recognised match winner or changer on the bench but it’s what we’ve got. It’s going to be a long old season and once we get beat let’s moan and then park that game and comment on the next one.

I didn’t really get just swapping Walker for Biamou to be honest. They both need a partner

87 n all that

I didn’t really get just swapping Walker for Biamou to be honest. They both need a partner
Yep, it’s time for 2 upfront and stop hoping that walker and previously Godden will bag their one or half chance a game. Max will ruffle some feathers against teams and bag the odd one and walker looks like he can score goals.

Users who are viewing this thread