Depressing as fook!!! (1 Viewer)

Tommo1993

Our estimated annual gas and electric bill is around £4700.

No, I don’t live in Buckingham Palace.

SAJ

People know that the reason for energy prices rising is that Russia are limiting their exports of gas. A little known fact is that we import less than 4% of our gas from Russia, and are net exporters of gas in the form of LNG to Europe.
Obviously the market price of gas has risen dramatically and it has affected electricity prices because a lot of electricity is produced from gas fired power stations, but in UK there is no logical reason for such dramatic rises. You can see on the TV adverts for the various electricity companies that a significant amount of our electricity is produced from renewables, (solar and wind turbines) There is something else going on that doesn't fully explain the dramatic predictions.
Russia limiting supplies are just one of the reasons not the only reason.

Hiraeth

I thought that electricity prices were linked to those of gas. Therefore it doesn’t really matter where the electricity is produced or the cost of production, if gas prices go up then so does electricity. I would have thought that the price of electricity has no need to rise, except for its link to gas.
I think you are spot on, the price of electricity that Retail Energy Companies buy and then sell onto end consumers is driven by the most expensive unit cost available which I believe at this time is Gas.

Couple that with the fact that Centrica took the decision to close down the Rough Gas Field Storage facility which means that we in the UK are much more vulnerable to the current market prices than other countries.

It's all great news for Gas Wholesalers like BP and Shell whilst the current Government delays the much needed reform of the electricity market and the prices charged which is bloomin depressing.

On other hand, Gyökeres looks like he's in great form so far this season. That goal against Sunderland was something else

steve cooper

Russia limiting supplies are just one of the reasons not the only reason.
It's compicated, part of the reason is the competition for gas globally due to re-emergence of industry post COVID, but by far the biggest reason is Russia, not just their policy on supply, but the desire of some countries to wean themselves of dependency on Russian gas. If you know of any other legitimate reason for wholesale prices to go through the roof I would be interested to know.

gary_ccfcforever

A shameless plug guys but as well as running coaches for the sky blue tavern, I do also work part time for Utility Warehouse and we do have an energy price fix untill August 31st 2023 provided you take broadband, or mobile SIM, income protector or boiler cover. It's the cheapest fix available as per Martin Lewis. If you want to discuss, drop me a DM

steve cooper

I think you are spot on, the price of electricity that Retail Energy Companies buy and then sell onto end consumers is driven by the most expensive unit cost available which I believe at this time is Gas.

Couple that with the fact that Centrica took the decision to close down the Rough Gas Field Storage facility which means that we in the UK are much more vulnerable to the current market prices than other countries.

It's all great news for Gas Wholesalers like BP and Shell whilst the current Government delays the much needed reform of the electricity market and the prices charged which is bloomin depressing.

On other hand, Gyökeres looks like he's in great form so far this season. That goal against Sunderland was something else
It's the Merit order,
This is an interesting read

SAJ

It's compicated, part of the reason is the competition for gas globally due to re-emergence of industry post COVID, but by far the biggest reason is Russia, not just their policy on supply, but the desire of some countries to wean themselves of dependency on Russian gas. If you know of any other legitimate reason for wholesale prices to go through the roof I would be interested to know.
4 other reasons
Spring 2021 one of the coldest on record. We used a high percentage of our reserves. These have not been replaced yet.
2021 Spring solar and wind generation was extremely low which also caused us to use our reserves.
South America is now using 30% more electricity than before Covid.
Asia is using 40% more.

Mcbean

We are on oil and we have just had to
Pay 4 times what we paid last year up front for another year but so it seems it’s a lot less in total than gas coming 😳

Mcbean

This is just poxy scaremongering - it goes up every day !!’ Must be some big houses to spend/ waste 6k on fuel and if they are that big they can afford it - or just reduce the amount of children you have 🤣

Bad Boy

Our estimated annual gas and electric bill is around £4700.

No, I don’t live in Buckingham Palace.
Neither do I but I haven't seriously worked my bolloxs off all my life to be cold and hungry in my autumn years but I'm fucked if I'm going to be lining any energy company's pockets to the tune of north of £4k pa.
We eat incredibly well and healthily now on a very very modest budget of £25 (if you plan meals) per week for the two of us, we don't throw perfectly good food away because we can't be arsed to be imaginative or be downright wasteful and lazy with it and we'll adopt the 'heat the person not the room' policy.
Think folk need to seriously look at what they spend and how they can make savings but still enjoy a comfortable lifestyle.
I accept there are many many people out there that have next to fuck all and my heart goes out to them and I do try to donate as much as I can both in foodstuffs and most importantly voluntary work to help people that are seriously struggling.

steve cooper

4 other reasons
Spring 2021 one of the coldest on record. We used a high percentage of our reserves. These have not been replaced yet.
2021 Spring solar and wind generation was extremely low which also caused us to use our reserves.
South America is now using 30% more electricity than before Covid.
Asia is using 40% more.
We don't really have reserves, as we have very limited storage capacity, we hold enough gas typically for 4 or 5 winter days.

steve cooper

It's not too bad when you are up there, it's going up the spiral ladder around the outside that's a bit nerve-racking if you don't like heights

rhino1002

It's not too bad when you are up there, it's going up the spiral ladder around the outside that's a bit nerve-racking if you don't like heights
I used to have to go up the floodlight pylons at Highfield rd every season for years to do the ground safety certificate
That was certainly an experience in heights
Plus the towers used to sway like hell in the wind
Happy days

Users who are viewing this thread