Delusion (1 Viewer)

Gosb

A number of threads on here recently have led me to believe that many Sky Blue fans suffer from the delusion that we are a Premiership club in temporary exile in League 2. We are a League 2 side trying to get into League 1. Perhaps this is easier for me to accept as we were in the fourth tier when I first started supporting the City whereas many of you, I guess, will have started supporting when we were in the Premiership. The next person who says 'we can't even beat (insert name of League 2 team)' gets a red card. Having said all that, I feel more confident about our playing prospects than I have done for some time. Won't be long now before we're 'back where we belong'.

NortonSkyBlue

A number of threads on here recently have led me to believe that many Sky Blue fans suffer from the delusion that we are a Premiership club in temporary exile in League 2. We are a League 2 side trying to get into League 1. Perhaps this is easier for me to accept as we were in the fourth tier when I first started supporting the City whereas many of you, I guess, will have started supporting when we were in the Premiership. The next person who says 'we can't even beat (insert name of League 2 team)' gets a red card. Having said all that, I feel more confident about our playing prospects than I have done for some time. Won't be long now before we're 'back where we belong'.
Red card!

clint van damme

thanks for putting me in my place mate. You've made sure I'm not standing on that open terrace in the rain tomorrow labouring under the illusion that I'm at the Bernabeu!

Fergusons_Beard

I don’t suffer from delusions-as a Coventry fan there’s an expectation that as a ‘big club’ in this division we should be beating village teams (Forest Green Rovers) at home.

It’s a fact not a delusion we have a club With the resources, squad, wages, coaches and management better than 80% of this league.

we should be beating Village teams at home.....nothing wrong with high expectations!

Illusions of grandeur rather delusions of grandeur....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

joemercersaces

I started supporting in 1969, the first year of being in the top flight. I sympathise with my lad who has never seen us there, and even more with someone who has only seen us in the fourth tier. You are partly right in that the ‘team’ is a fourth division team at the moment. The ‘club’ however, is most certainly not. Given the history and size of the city and surrounding area you have to go the Championship to find a club of similar stature, let alone a bigger.

PCH

Well thanks for cheering me up today mate and bringing me well and truly down to earth.
I could be considered one of our deluded fans. I was seven years old when Cov got promoted to the old Div 1 and remember going to Broadgate with my dad the night the team presented the city with the trophy. I find it a hard watch at places like Yeovil these days and can't help thinking we're only down here for a short while and it won't be long before we're back where we belong.
I know I need to take a reality check but for now I prefer to live in the land of delusion. It's a much nicer place.

olderskyblue

First year in the top tier was 1967 which is when I started.
12 years old and able to see (and compete) with the big names and on TV as well.
Difficult to forget but I do know this club is not fulfilling it's full potential.

Glory Hunter...!! ;)

italiahorse

Glory Hunter...!! ;)

That is the age to get influenced.
Kids today can easily get hooked on any team particularly the likes of Man U etc.
Under 12s should go free with a paying adult at all times to get them hooked and have a sense of belonging.

Mild-Mannered Janitor

Kindest Bloke on CCFC / Maker of CCFC Dreams
That is the age to get influenced.
Kids today can easily get hooked on any team particularly the likes of Man U etc.
Under 12s should go free with a paying adult at all times to get them hooked and have a sense of belonging.

Totally agree, it did for me 36 years ago and they’ve had thousands off me since then, sadly inflicted on my son from the age of 2 as well when he went his first reserve game, now 25 and that’s cost me thousands as well. He needs to pay for his own season ticket next year

CovisGod

I'm 31, I went to my first game in 95 and had a season ticket for the next 15 years. I've gone from seeing us as a Premier League relegation dogfight team to the lowest division in the Football League. Around the time we went to Sixfields I had about given up, I refused to attend a game there but since coming back to the Ricoh make the 3 hour journey from Norfolk and go to as many games as I possibly can.

I don't think people realise, although it was "Only the checkatrade trophy" the morale boost a win at Wembley and a cup brings to not only the first team but that filters through to the staff, the youth team, success breeds success. I honestly believe that if we get promoted this year, which isn't beyond all realms of possibility the sky is the limit. Who's saying we don't go up, Maddison gets sold for 25m in the summer giving us a bit of spending money in the summer and were challenging at the top of League One this time next year, we would certainly then be more of a prospect for buyers.

It actually at this stage doesn't matter who's in charge of the club, although I'd prefer Adolf Hitler to rise from the grave to take over it actually doesnt matter, Robins is being allowed to keep who he wants (Bayliss) and sell who he wants, and for as long as he has a budget and in charge of our team I can honestly only see us on the up.

Having only ever see us freefall in my 25 years as a Cov fan I can honestly say this is the first time I have a hint of optimism, the players seem to be playing with pride, the manager cares and I've got to see 7 victorys in a row at home. Exciting times ahead, back the team and let's get back to where we belong

PUSB

Hobo

No we are where we are. We have arrived here over several seasons off slow decline. We deserved every relegation we had. We now have the same problems of all League 2 teams. You only get out if you deserve too.

We are by no means a definite for promotion but we are a candidate.

steve cooper

It hit me when we beat Stoke, and everyone on TV made such a big thing about a L2 team beating a premiership team. Almost the same as when Sutton Utd beat us. Having supported them since we were in the old league 2 in 1965, I still see us as a sleeping giant. (You can give me a red card because .... we'll be back)

italiahorse

No we are where we are. We have arrived here over several seasons off slow decline. We deserved every relegation we had. We now have the same problems of all League 2 teams. You only get out if you deserve too.

We are by no means a definite for promotion but we are a candidate.

Bad night ? ;)

Captain Dart

Where do we belong in your opinion?

Voice_of_Reason

Same here. I started when we were in Division 3 (South) before relegation to the then new Division 4. This was formed by the bottom half teams from Divisions 3 South and North.

Brylowes

Totally agree, it did for me 36 years ago and they’ve had thousands off me since then, sadly inflicted on my son from the age of 2 as well when he went his first reserve game, now 25 and that’s cost me thousands as well. He needs to pay for his own season ticket next year
At 25 he should pay for your season ticket next year,
give him a chance to get his own back

Mucca Mad Boys

Kinda get what the OP said, in a thread about Biamou, someone quoted my post and said ‘is Biamou a Dion Dublin or Cyrille Regis? NO’, or something of that affect. I’m 23, and I’ve never seen us play a game in the Prem not against Villa so I don’t really consider us a Prem team, but I think we should be a Championship club. We can all blame this on SISU, and they are to blame for most of our problems, but I think we would’ve went to L1 at the least had they not come anyway. In my years as a supporter, we’ve been chronically and systematically mismanaged and until we sort our shit out, we’ll remain a L1/L2 club. The optimist in me is hoping that this is the start of a comeback, so to speak.

Gosb

Where do we belong in your opinion?
Getting 'back where we belong' is a phrase much beloved of football teams in the lower divisions, as though every team has a right to be in a certain division. Perhaps it would be simpler to put every team where they belong and then scrap promotion and relegation to save all the heartache :happy:. Logically, as the 9th biggest city in England, we should be firmly ensconced in the Premiership. But when did logic ever apply to football?

covcity4life

we are a league 2 club going for promotion to league 1 because we used to be a prem team.

if we were a tiny team i doubt we would be near top of league

oucho

We ARE a Premier League team in exile!!! It's just that the exile may turn out to be permenant

Astute

We are a division 4 club. But it isn't where we belong.

We can sell more tickets for an away game than several grounds at this level can hold for both sides. It should all be about income and expenditure. The average income for the division is where we belong. And that isn't the Prem. But if and when we get there again we will have a chance as TV money dwarfs the football income. The problem is the division below and the losses made trying to get promoted.

Users who are viewing this thread