Delayed departure (1 Viewer)

covcity4life

so a manager who got us flying and even after a bad run got us 8th is awful and as bad as manager who got us relegated and another who didnt last a season?

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Hadji10

so a manager who got us flying and even after a bad run got us 8th is awful and as bad as manager who got us relegated and another who didnt last a season?

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Yep, because Mowbray had the squad to get us promoted. He failed miserably. And this season was a joke until the day he walked. The players had completely lost faith in him, that is clear as day.

Hobo

I frequently back players and if a manager is successful I back them.

It's pretty absurd to compare us to Manchester United and the majority of arsenal fans have wanted Wenger removed for some considerable time.

You quoted (I think it was you) Milne as a success but other than, granted, a highly successful season the team was no more successful than the 80's or 90's when we went through a plethora of managers.

I started a thread last December I believe saying that Mowbray needs to start to address issues and if not the club need to take action. That I believe was foresight and it was ultimately correct. I was pilloried for it by the usual suspects as indeed when I said the appointment of thorn as manager was the worst appointment the club had ever made.

Regarding Milne. I think keeping Coventry City in top flight on a limited or within our means budget was successful. He certainly never had the money Strachan had and look what Strachan achieved.

Just because certain sections of Arsenals support bleat about Wenger it doesn't mean they are right either.

Nick

Administrator

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

If he was such a good manager, we wouldn't have had such a bad run.

Hadji10

Some Of our fans need it drilling into their thick skulls. They still think it's the same manager from the West Brom days 10 years ago. The guy is awful.

Hadji10

hes the same manager from last season, that got us 8th and 6pts from playoffs. not awful anyway you play it.

Would you have accepted 8th this time last year? No you wouldn't, it wasn't a good season at all.

Mowbrays tenure is almost identical to Pressley's who is absolutely ridiculed by Coventry fans, bizarre.

covcity4life

after finishing near relegation zone for 2 years prior ,8th was good. i mean our very own sensible poster stupot said top 10 would be a good season iirc

so 8th was good. not awful in anyway

as for preslley when he lost it the team didnt even have a shot on goal and losing loads. this year even in bad times we were drawing majority of games not losing.

you dont have to like him, but he wasnt awful

Hadji10

after finishing near relegation zone for 2 years prior ,8th was good. i mean our very own sensible poster stupot said top 10 would be a good season iirc

so 8th was good. not awful in anyway

as for preslley when he lost it the team didnt even have a shot on goal and losing loads. this year even in bad times we were drawing majority of games not losing.

you dont have to like him, but he wasnt awful

We were drawin to teams near the bottom at home playing turgid football and away from we were losing and somehow you almost think it's acceptable and something we can just gloss over, unbelievable.

covcity4life

As for Pressley, I don't remember him leaving us rock bottom of the league.

because he got sacked!.................for mowbray! we would have gone down with pressley. that wouldnt happen this year with mowbray,venus or me as manager! the squad TM assembled is not relgation fodder. only the naive truly beleived that

Hadji10

because he got sacked!.................for mowbray! we would have gone down with pressley. that wouldnt happen this year with mowbray,venus or me as manager! the squad TM assembled is not relgation fodder. only the naive truly beleived that

Pressley got sacked when we were 17th.

Mowbray had us 22nd with 20 minutes of the season to go. He nearly took us down ffs, he didn't halt the slump at all, he got very lucky.

covcity4life

Pressley got sacked when we were 17th.

Mowbray had us 22nd with 20 minutes of the season to go. He nearly took us down ffs, he didn't halt the slump at all, he got very lucky.

no way we were gonna beat fleetwood away with pressley. we were going down down down. luckily TM stopped us from being in the bottom 4.

Grendel

no way we were gonna beat fleetwood away with pressley. we were going down down down. luckily TM stopped us from being in the bottom 4.

I can't be bothered to look but in sure at home we only won one game under Mowbray.

Either way it's pointless. His form as manager since December had been thorn like.

Pointless like us with Mowbray.

covcity4life

I can't be bothered to look but in sure at home we only won one game under Mowbray.

Either way it's pointless. His form as manager since December had been thorn like.

Pointless like us with Mowbray.

he had a bad year results wise,noone denying that. fact still remains in his time here he avoided relegation then got us to 8th. simply cannot be called awful

Hobo

If he was such a good manager, we wouldn't have had such a bad run.

I think Mowbray 're established some basic essentials at the club, especially around infrastructure. However I think his lack of knowledge at this level was his undoing. The bad run last season wasn't the issue for me. Missing his targets in the summer and the bad start saw confidence drain from him.

His most telling quote was "I felt like I was flipping coins." I don't think he could find the quality he wanted on the budget he was given. That isn't necessarily a criticism of SiSU.

My criticism of them is allowing our infrastructure to erode and missing a Ricoh investment opportunity. They paddled up a creek and have stubbornly sat there while the tide went out.

Nick

Administrator
I think Mowbray 're established some basic essentials at the club, especially around infrastructure. However I think his lack of knowledge at this level was his undoing. The bad run last season wasn't the issue for me. Missing his targets in the summer and the bad start saw confidence drain from him.

His most telling quote was "I felt like I was flipping coins." I don't think he could find the quality he wanted on the budget he was given. That isn't necessarily a criticism of SiSU.

My criticism of them is allowing our infrastructure to erode and missing a Ricoh investment opportunity. They paddled up a creek and have stubbornly sat there while the tide went out.

Can't disagree with that, the training ground should be sky blue and there is no excuse for a shower not working etc etc.

Gint11

I felt sorry for Peter reid. We were 5th and flying and then the club sold Callum Davenport from under his nose. Then we nose dived. 3 cheers to the board!!!!

Gint11

Its fine margins and balance. You can't only be successful in management with only having money to spend at your leisure. You need to prove your managment as well by bringing on youth players and unknowns etc. In saying that you need some level of coin. I think Mowbray, ultimately, could not get the best out of what he had which MV currently is and then on top of that, his transfers got worse and worse.

Skyblueweeman

I can't believe this is still up for discussion. TM did a great job in the first 4 months of last season. However, the last 5 months of last season and this season up until his departure, he was simply awful.

It's great the way he may have added better infrastructure to the playing side of things but his main job was to get points on the board, something he failed miserably at in the last 10 months of his job.

Many managers would've been sacked much earlier in their tenure.

TM was a decent bloke, but so was SP. Unfortunately for us, they were both poor managers who we did well getting shot of when we did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Otis

I can't believe this is still up for discussion. TM did a great job in the first 4 months of last season. However, the last 5 months of last season and this season up until his departure, he was simply awful.

It's great the way he may have added better infrastructure to the playing side of things but his main job was to get points on the board, something he failed miserably at in the last 10 months of his job.

Many managers would've been sacked much earlier in their tenure.

TM was a decent bloke, but so was SP. Unfortunately for us, they were both poor managers who we did well getting shot of when we did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TM was a good manager who had no plan b. As soon as things went wrong he couldn't correct them and that slide was truly dreadful.

Such a shame. He seemed like such a nice bloke and I was willing him to turn it around.

covcity4life

the infracstructure changes and focus on longer term contracts will benefit us in years to come. thank you TM again!

Joy Division

he had a bad year results wise,noone denying that. fact still remains in his time here he avoided relegation then got us to 8th. simply cannot be called awful

A years worth of bad results for any manager in football would be catastrophic for any football club.

Joy Division

but a season where you go from near relegation to 8th would be seen as great progress for any football club too

unless you think we are some sort of powerhouse?

And going from top of the league in November with one of the best bunch of players in the league to 8th is good?

I don't think we are a powerhouse but we should be ambitious and not happy with settling for mediocrity like you

Gint11

I don't believe in sacking managers at will and I would have given TM time if you see the right things you want in a manager. I want a manager to have tactical nouse, the ability to spot and find a player, get the best out of them and to play a formation that suits us with good passing direct football and if that stops working, have a plan B. Mowbray failed on all of them fronts after 4 months of last season.

The first half of last season masked the above really in the loan signings he made being really good (fair play to him for finding them) but this was boosted by the fact that teams in League 1 didn't realise this and got gazumped early doors. Once Xmas passed and teams knew our players and style, tactically aware managers easily stifled this. Mowbray had no answer.

covcity4life

And going from top of the league in November with one of the best bunch of players in the league to 8th is good?

I don't think we are a powerhouse but we should be ambitious and not happy with settling for mediocrity like you

how have i settled? and whya re you getting upset? behave.

i always say i want top 6. i have had numerous arguments with stupot over the years about this. i am saying OVERALL TM gave us our best season in a decade pts and position wise. nick is absolutly right, the manner in which we dropped from top to eventually 8th is dissapointing. TM made alot of mistakes. no one is calling it a perfect season. just overall a improved one considering where we were season before.

couple that with infrastructure changes like making us good destination for loans,longer contracts, brand of football and even sky blue frikken paint i dont think his tenure should be called awful.

if after reading the above you still dont udnerstand why i wont call his time awful then its gonna have to be a case of agree to disagree i think

Joy Division

how have i settled? and whya re you getting upset? behave.

i always say i want top 6. i have had numerous arguments with stupot over the years about this. i am saying OVERALL TM gave us our best season in a decade pts and position wise. nick is absolutly right, the manner in which we dropped from top to eventually 8th is dissapointing. TM made alot of mistakes. no one is calling it a perfect season. just overall a improved one considering where we were season before.

couple that with infrastructure changes like making us good destination for loans,longer contracts, brand of football and even sky blue frikken paint i dont think his tenure should be called awful.

if after reading the above you still dont udnerstand why i wont call his time awful then its gonna have to be a case of agree to disagree i think

I'm hardly upset dear, I'm just happy we are picking up results now. I guess you'd rather still be losing under Mowbray.

To be top at this stage last season and not even finish in the play-off's is not disappointing, its awful. Even Mowbray himself knew it was time for him to go. If you think what happened last season is acceptable then I guess yes we will have to agree to disagree.

covcity4life

why would i be happy to lose? this is a good debate isnt it? why be childish and insult?

i beleive mowbray would have seen an upturn in results this year just like venus has done so far. last year showed how a season can change from start to finish. i beleive same can happen this year,this time in our favour.

Joy Division

why would i be happy to lose? this is a good debate isnt it? why be childish and insult?

i beleive mowbray would have seen an upturn in results this year just like venus has done so far. last year showed how a season can change from start to finish. i beleive same can happen this year,this time in our favour.

Well to be fair you act like the most childish person on here so, there you go.

Fine for you to believe he would have turned it round but there was no evidence I could see that would have suggested that. We were bottom of the league, you've seen us play this season right?

Users who are viewing this thread