Transfer Rumour David Brekalo (4 Viewers)

Soltvedt->Normann

Norwegian and Danish media are today reporting that FC Midtjylland have not submitted another offer for David Brekalo after their third bid was rejected by Viking Stavanger yesterday. FCM offered 4 million euros.

Viking are joint league leaders in Norway. They have not won a league title since 1991 and desperately want to keep the Slovenian international.

FC Midtjylland are suffering from injuries and suspensions in their central defence. They played midfielders at the back last game. They must complete and register their second transfer today before 24:00 CET to ensure David Brekalo or any other player is eligible to play tomorrow's Conference League playoff game v. Legia Warszawa. FCM today signed right back Adam Gabriel from Sparta Prague. Their real issue now though seems to be central defence.

Brekalo is, according Danish press (B.T.) holding out for a Premier League move. Luton could be a possible destination. Brekalo's agent actually was busy in London yesterday dealing with a for another client. Djordje Petrovic New England Revolution ---> Chelsea. Source: Nettavisen.

Coventry might have a chance here. I think Brekalo could be a real coup.
He is problably the best defender I have ever seen in Norway, a senior reporter at VG (biggest newspaper in Norway) wrote last week.

Found an interesting thread about this and possible moves for Brekalo (Coventry, Luton and Midtjylland mentioned).
Here is the link to the thread at X/Twitter.

The thread highlights Brekalo's importance to Viking and his meteoric rise in Norway. Brekalo dominated Erling Braut Haaland (!) last year when Slovenia played Norway in Oslo, apparently causing a media frenzy in Norway.

BT reported today that FCM have offered Brekalo 500.000 Euroes after tax in wages. Seems affordable.

Soltvedt->Normann

Also reported in Slovenia.
Link 1
Link 2

"At the moment, Brekalo has mainly two suitors. One is the ambitious English club Coventry City, which came close to the places leading to the Premier League last season, and the other is the successful Danish team Midtjylland. The offers have significantly increased the player's price, which has currently reached the amount of five million euros!"

"
The move intensifies the ongoing bidding war, which also involves Championship side Coventry City and Danish club Midtjylland.
Viking, currently in contention for the Norwegian league title, has been reluctant to part ways with one of their key players."

AFCCOVENTRY

Also reported in Slovenia.
Link 1
Link 2

"At the moment, Brekalo has mainly two suitors. One is the ambitious English club Coventry City, which came close to the places leading to the Premier League last season, and the other is the successful Danish team Midtjylland. The offers have significantly increased the player's price, which has currently reached the amount of five million euros!"

"
The move intensifies the ongoing bidding war, which also involves Championship side Coventry City and Danish club Midtjylland.
Viking, currently in contention for the Norwegian league title, has been reluctant to part ways with one of their key players."

Reminds me when Sporting Lisbon and Leeds were also interested in MVE. Blew them out of the water. Coming to us is currently the most attractive playing wise. Could be in the Premiership with us or without within years.

Peter Billing Eyes

I’m not so sure. If he were joining a competitive premiership team, it would be potentially more attractive than being a defender in the shooting gallery that Luton will be this season. Joining a competitive championship club may seem more productive for his career development at this time.

PVA

Reminds me when Sporting Lisbon and Leeds were also interested in MVE. Blew them out of the water. Coming to us is currently the most attractive playing wise. Could be in the Premiership with us or without within years.

Yeah I thought we had zero chance of getting MVE when I saw the teams interested, so who knows these days.

We can probably offer similar wages to Luton, they aren't splashing the cash. But the lure of the PL, even with a likely relegation, might be too much.

Mucca Mad Boys

Yeah I thought we had zero chance of getting MVE when I saw the teams interested, so who knows these days.

We can probably offer similar wages to Luton, they aren't splashing the cash. But the lure of the PL, even with a likely relegation, might be too much.

Longer term, our trajectory is better than Luton’s - at least until they’ve paid off their stadium.

Apparently that’s what Luton will be spending their PL money on. A sensible allocation of funds too to be fair.

Pusb1

Longer term, our trajectory is better than Luton’s - at least until they’ve paid off their stadium.

Apparently that’s what Luton will be spending their PL money on. A sensible allocation of funds too to be fair.
you'd have said the same about Bournemouth a few years ago, and they're still knocking around the Prem several years later. The reality is players would rather the guarentee of PL football now. If they back themselves as a player they'd like to think they could keep them as a PL team.

Chris1987

If it's just Cov & Luton the player has 2 options. A recently promoted PL club with little spending power and highly likely to be relegated or a Championship club with an attractive profile recruiting for the long term and every chance of being in the promotion shake up. It's no certainty that he elects to choose Luton over Cov

SeaSeeEffCee

What’s that based on? Premier League money is massive. I don’t really see how we can say that.

SkyBlueMatt

If there is a straight decision between us and Luton, he's not coming here. I like the enthusiasm but calm down.

The only way we get him is if Luton don't see him as a starter and can get near their wage offer.

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Brighton Sky Blue

If it’s a straight shoot out between us and Luton, we aren’t winning that I’m afraid.
Bastard

Sad Fight GIF by Top Rank Boxing

Yorkshire SB

Think that’s through sky blue tinted spectacles! Obviously they could go down and we could go up, but he’s not moving there for life. It’s a decision between PL football and Championship. No brainer

wingy

Not from his perspective, sounds more like a step from his view.

Posted the wrong link previously.

AFCCOVENTRY

That interview is about 7 weeks ago and a lot can change as we know in football transfers. I guess if Luton are interested it makes it difficult to turn down the Premiership.

Covkid1968#

Another perfectly normal thread where we talk about fucking the new signings. If you forced me to pick one i'd probably have a bash at Sakamoto.
On another thread it talked about the Japanese being compliant…. I Take it that caught your eye.

BlueSkiesForever

Would love to see Brekalo sign for us, from some of the highlight reels on YouTube it seems like he could play most of the positions along the back line and being only 24 would fit with our team model, really hope King gets it done! 👑

Reactions: JSL

JimmyHillsbeard

That is the most Ljubljana accent ever.
But my word what an attitude from both him and the club interviewer.

Decent, probing questions and candid , honest answers. All conducted in a second language of the Norwegian journo and Slovenian footballer.

I really really hope he comes, just so he can be asked what first attracted him to Covuntree and if he’s buzzin to finally get it done.

Users who are viewing this thread