David Bowie and the West End (2 Viewers)

D

Deleted member 4439

I'm 40 this year, and my partner is a similar age to you Nick and one of the odd things we have noticed is how different things were growing up, and we're only talking a decade. We live in a very liberated age, although some might argue, it really is. Now I'm not old enough to remember Bowie breaking boundaries and attitudes, but just applying my experiences of things to my partners, and seeing the difference in how society accepts people, I can only imagine how amazing it must have felt seeing this freak on TV, and knowing you're not alone in being different. I know it's not easy to grasp, and get why you wouldn't understand, but that's because much of the work has been done (although not complete). Bowie, Mercury and many more helped make so much possible for people that didn't fit into a predetermined box. The man was a legend, and the world is rightly morning his death.

This is a very insightful post. In the mid-late seventies we were still living in a post-war (but also post-industrial) era. Parental and Authority attitudes and behaviours were still largely dominated by a generational mindset that hadn't changed that much since before the war. Sure the sixties saw the loosening of this, but it wasn't until the late eighties/early nineties that, as a generational change, many of the freedoms of expression and personal liberties we enjoy today began to take hold. Truly the seventies were a very different era.

usskyblue

Bowie was one of my heroes.

Thankful to have seen him in concert at the old Wembley Stadium in July 1987.

Still remember how surreal it was to walk on to the pitch (covered though it was) and claim my place. I'd been in the stands two months earlier, watching us win the FA Cup.

Gutted about his death but find solace in his extraordinary music, of which, I've no lack of.

RIP David Bowie

Grendel

Aye, he loves the Beatles but that doesn't mean he can't have had other influences does it?
I've heard interviews with him & Geezer banging on about the Beatles & Bowie.

Hardly likely - they released their first successful albums at around the same time..I somehow think Iommi and co. would have survived without him.

Joy Division

I'm old enough, I have over 1,000 albums of various artists, and I don't get it either. People can like his music but they didn't actually know him. It's a mass hysteria thing I guess

It's okay to not get Bowie. But his influence was massive, its fair to say people who do feel something are going to be more vocal about it.

I bet in your *1000* albums there are some Bowie influences in there.

olderskyblue

Hardly likely - they released their first successful albums at around the same time..I somehow think Iommi and co. would have survived without him.

True.

Ozzy may have liked Bowie, but influenced by? Doubt it.

Grendel

It's okay to not get Bowie. But his influence was massive, its fair to say people who do feel something are going to be more vocal about it.

I bet in your *1000* albums there are some Bowie influences in there.

Well Ozzy wore a dress on the Sabotage album cover.

usskyblue

'Ozzy' also covered 'All the Young Dudes'...

...written by David Bowie.

Is that in your collection m8?

Otis

Agree with all that, Otis. What I *don't* get is why people feel the need to lose all self-control and collapse into a blubbering heap of snot when someone they never met dies. These public outpourings of grief never happened until Princess Di carked it, and have only got worse since the advent of "social media". I saw someone write yesterday that the British stiff upper lip has been swapped for a quivering lower one!
No, agree. I most certainly didn't cry when Diana died I can tell you.

I cried when John Lennon died and I cried when Bowie died.

He didn't affect my life on a personal level, but his music moved me so much. Life on Mars has always given me goosebumps and Heroes too, both of which are beautiful songs.

I agree, it's gonna bit bonkers at the first sign of any celeb dying, but Bowie is worth those tears to many.

I felt really sad when Jimmy Hill died, but I didn't cry.

There's something emotive about music though isn't there. Some classical music moves me to tears with it's beauty.

usskyblue

He didn't affect my life on a personal level, but his music moved me so much. Life on Mars has always given me goosebumps and Heroes too, both of which are beautiful songs.

I agree, it's gonna bit bonkers at the first sign of any celeb dying, but Bowie is worth those tears to many.

There's something emotive about music though isn't there. Some classical music moves me to tears with it's beauty.

Bowie: 'Wild is the Wind'.

wingy

Music gives us a primal outlet/reaction /instinct deep in our psyche.
All races move to a different beat, not withstanding we are all nowadays prone to crossover taste and influence.

OffenhamSkyBlue

Maybe I'm just being a grumpy uncaring old bastard, but I just tire of the people who have nothing helpful to add adding it anyway!
Agree with the classical thing. Saw the Nutcracker ballet in Brum just before Christmas, and the beauty of the music and the dancing moved me to tears.

lordsummerisle

Bowie was one of my heroes.

Thankful to have seen him in concert at the old Wembley Stadium in July 1987.

Still remember how surreal it was to walk on to the pitch (covered though it was) and claim my place. I'd been in the stands two months earlier, watching us win the FA Cup.

Gutted about his death but find solace in his extraordinary music, of which, I've no lack of.

RIP David Bowie

only time I saw Bowie live was that gig on the Glass Spider Tour.

Had tickets to see him at Milton Keynes Bowl in 1990, but got posted to Germany, then managed to get tickets for the same tour in Holland and the bloody Gulf War kicked off so ended up somewhere warmer instead.

usskyblue

only time I saw Bowie live was that gig on the Glass Spider Tour.

Had tickets to see him at Milton Keynes Bowl in 1990, but got posted to Germany, then managed to get tickets for the same tour in Holland and the bloody Gulf War kicked off so ended up somewhere warmer instead.

Decent concert...didn't need the 'crew'...just him and the band would've been better. Still was like watching a legend though. Wish I could've good tickets to the Serious Moonnlight tour earlier in the 80's...

wingy

Decent concert...didn't need the 'crew'...just him and the band would've been better. Still was like watching a legend though. Wish I could've good tickets to the Serious Moonnlight tour earlier in the 80's...
Yeah went to MK for that.

Otis

Can I just ask, as he changed his style and his music direction so much, when he did a specific tour based around a specific theme, did he still play his old stuff too? Anyone who saw him live confirm?

Just thinking old stuff wouldn't fit in with the current look or style he had for the particular album/tour.

Let's Dance / Serious Moonlight is a million miles away from Ziggy Stardust. Young Americans too.

usskyblue

Can I just ask, as he changed his style and his music direction so much, when he did a specific tour based around a specific theme, did he still play his old stuff too? Anyone who saw him live confirm?

Just thinking old stuff wouldn't fit in with the current look or style he had for the particular album/tour.

Let's Dance / Serious Moonlight is a million miles away from Ziggy Stardust. Young Americans too.

Yes, it was primarily the new album at the start of the concert, gradually bringing in the older stuff. Definitely remember Heroes, Rebel Rebel, Fame, Golden Years and a few others during that concert

Last edited:

Otis

Yes, it was primarily the new album at the start of the concert, gradually bringing in the older stuff. Definitely remember Heroes, Rebel Rebel, Fame, Golden Years and a few others during that concert

Cheers!

I recall a few bands and artists refusing to do their old stuff. Case in point was Skids, who I saw live in about 1979/80. They had a really popular song called TV Stars which the fans loved and were baying for in the encore, but the band refused to play it and the fans were not at all pleased.

I noticed they reformed and have seen a clip of a concert in 2010 where they apologised for refusing to play it all those years ago.

Think they said way back when that they 'don't do that stuff anymore.'

Here's the original , which was a B side to Into the Valley.

[video=youtube;yMFfYJ_LvEo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMFfYJ_LvEo[/video]

Alan Dugdales Moustache

I liked Bowie the man and his music, and though it is very sad I just can't cry over people I've never met . As for Diana, I just didn't get all that hysteria at all. I hid for a few days because I didn't feel I could join in with all that sobbing. I'm not normal. :thinking about:

Otis

I liked Bowie the man and his music, and though it is very sad I just can't cry over people I've never met . As for Diana, I just didn't get all that hysteria at all. I hid for a few days because I didn't feel I could join in with all that sobbing. I'm not normal. :thinking about:

Me neither on the Diana front. I avoided that whole circus like the plague. Switched off the news, avoided the funeral, didn't look at the papers. Didn't get the allure of Diana at all.

usskyblue

Each to his or her own.

What pisses me off is the lack of understanding. People get stuck in 'right or wrong'.

It's got fuckall to do with right or wrong;
Different events, affect different people, in different ways.

Why is that so hard to grasp?

oscillatewildly

Me neither on the Diana front. I avoided that whole circus like the plague. Switched off the news, avoided the funeral, didn't look at the papers. Didn't get the allure of Diana at all.
I must admit, I tuned in to the funeral coverage for the sheer spectacle - I hadn't seen that level of 'homage' in my lifetime up until then. With you on the other aspect, Otis. I just don't do the fawning and forelock tugging in the direction of monarchy and it's brief associated links.
R.I.P. the starman though.

Grendel

Cheers!

I recall a few bands and artists refusing to do their old stuff. Case in point was Skids, who I saw live in about 1979/80. They had a really popular song called TV Stars which the fans loved and were baying for in the encore, but the band refused to play it and the fans were not at all pleased.

I noticed they reformed and have seen a clip of a concert in 2010 where they apologised for refusing to play it all those years ago.

Think they said way back when that they 'don't do that stuff anymore.'

Here's the original , which was a B side to Into the Valley.

[video=youtube;yMFfYJ_LvEo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMFfYJ_LvEo[/video]

I have never heard of TV Stars? What's that!

http://www.musicvf.com/The+Skids.art

lordsummerisle

Each to his or her own.

What pisses me off is the lack of understanding. People get stuck in 'right or wrong'.

It's got fuckall to do with right or wrong;
Different events, affect different people, in different ways.

Why is that so hard to grasp?

Think all my ex's would call me emotionally stunted, but Bowie dying genuinely choked me up.

Would piss off a few that!

Grendel

Only ever a b side, but they used to play it as an encore live.

B side to Into the Valley, which was a hit.

Is it? I've got that single. I didn't even know.

Stuart Adamson died fairly young didn't he?

Grendel

Users who are viewing this thread