Welcome to Sky Blues Talk!

You're currently viewing the forum as a guest. Join thousands of fellow Coventry City fans today!

Confirmed Signing Dan Bentley - GK (1 Viewer)

Lets let Dovin sit on the bench all season then just in case Rushworth gets injured
He doesn’t have to sit on the bench all the time you know. He can train and generally move about and play in U21 games etc. To be honest I thought you’d have known that. I’m disappointed
 
He doesn’t have to sit on the bench all the time you know. He can train and generally move about and play in U21 games etc. To be honest I thought you’d have known that. I’m disappointed
Clueless as always LOL
 
Varney on Facebook trying to claim ITK on this one :LOL: the fact some on there lap it up tells you everything about that place.
 
Spoken to a well-regarded Wolves reporter this morning about Bentley for The Phoenix. His take was that he's a great character but he would have thought he would come in as third choice, rather than second (behind Wilson with Dovin out on loan). I would have thought he would come as second choice but either way, sounds like we have two back-ups who are happy being back-ups and also great in the dressing room.
 
I asked AI if it knew whether Dan Bentley is a y relation of City's keeper in the 1950s. This was AI's first response. "If you're thinking of a Coventry City goalkeeper named **Bentley**, the most likely one is **Ron Bentley**, who played for Coventry City in the 1950s and made over 200 appearances for the club.

As far as publicly available information shows, there is **no known family relationship** between **Dan Bentley** (born 1993 in Basildon, Essex) and former Coventry City goalkeeper **Ron Bentley**. Dan's football background is associated with Southend United, Brentford, Bristol City and Wolves before his move to Coventry. [1](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Bentley_%28footballer%29)[2](https://www.shropshirestar.com/sport/football/wolverhampton-wanderers/wolves-goalkeeper-agrees-deal-to-join-coventry-8933518)

Of course, football families can have distant links that aren't widely documented, but nothing I've found suggests they're related.

Out of curiosity, was Ron Bentley the keeper you remembered, or were you thinking of another Coventry City goalkeeper from your childhood?"
 
He doesn’t have to sit on the bench all the time you know. He can train and generally move about and play in U21 games etc. To be honest I thought you’d have known that. I’m disappointed
he needs to play competitive football, he's been out for 18 months. You are thick as mince
 
I asked AI if it knew whether Dan Bentley is a y relation of City's keeper in the 1950s. This was AI's first response. "If you're thinking of a Coventry City goalkeeper named **Bentley**, the most likely one is **Ron Bentley**, who played for Coventry City in the 1950s and made over 200 appearances for the club.

As far as publicly available information shows, there is **no known family relationship** between **Dan Bentley** (born 1993 in Basildon, Essex) and former Coventry City goalkeeper **Ron Bentley**. Dan's football background is associated with Southend United, Brentford, Bristol City and Wolves before his move to Coventry. [1](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Bentley_%28footballer%29)[2](https://www.shropshirestar.com/sport/football/wolverhampton-wanderers/wolves-goalkeeper-agrees-deal-to-join-coventry-8933518)

Of course, football families can have distant links that aren't widely documented, but nothing I've found suggests they're related.

Out of curiosity, was Ron Bentley the keeper you remembered, or were you thinking of another Coventry City goalkeeper from your childhood?"
I replied I was thinking of Alf Bentley and I had never heard of a Ron Bentley playing for ccfc. I pointed out that the first goalkeepers I remember watching were Peter Taylor and, after that, Reg Matthews . Co-Pilot then admitted its mistake and gave me interesting statistics about City's goalkeepers throughout the 1950s. Co-Pilot then seemed to be saying Reg Matthews played hundreds of games for Coventry before he was transferred to Chelsea and for that reason, would be more famous and remembered by more Coventry fans.

I queried this by saying Peter Taylor would be remembered by far more fans due to his relationship with Brian Clough. This brought a second apology.

It was a far more civilised exchange than many on SBT. Perhaps we should campaign for Membership options for more AI creations both to support the team and contribute to the SBT forums! ;-
 
I asked AI if it knew whether Dan Bentley is a y relation of City's keeper in the 1950s. This was AI's first response. "If you're thinking of a Coventry City goalkeeper named **Bentley**, the most likely one is **Ron Bentley**, who played for Coventry City in the 1950s and made over 200 appearances for the club.

As far as publicly available information shows, there is **no known family relationship** between **Dan Bentley** (born 1993 in Basildon, Essex) and former Coventry City goalkeeper **Ron Bentley**. Dan's football background is associated with Southend United, Brentford, Bristol City and Wolves before his move to Coventry. [1](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Bentley_%28footballer%29)[2](https://www.shropshirestar.com/sport/football/wolverhampton-wanderers/wolves-goalkeeper-agrees-deal-to-join-coventry-8933518)

Of course, football families can have distant links that aren't widely documented, but nothing I've found suggests they're related.

Out of curiosity, was Ron Bentley the keeper you remembered, or were you thinking of another Coventry City goalkeeper from your childhood?"
It was Alf
 
I asked AI if it knew whether Dan Bentley is a y relation of City's keeper in the 1950s. This was AI's first response. "If you're thinking of a Coventry City goalkeeper named **Bentley**, the most likely one is **Ron Bentley**, who played for Coventry City in the 1950s and made over 200 appearances for the club.

As far as publicly available information shows, there is **no known family relationship** between **Dan Bentley** (born 1993 in Basildon, Essex) and former Coventry City goalkeeper **Ron Bentley**. Dan's football background is associated with Southend United, Brentford, Bristol City and Wolves before his move to Coventry. [1](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Bentley_%28footballer%29)[2](https://www.shropshirestar.com/sport/football/wolverhampton-wanderers/wolves-goalkeeper-agrees-deal-to-join-coventry-8933518)

Of course, football families can have distant links that aren't widely documented, but nothing I've found suggests they're related.

Out of curiosity, was Ron Bentley the keeper you remembered, or were you thinking of another Coventry City goalkeeper from your childhood?"

I’d reply by pointing out the amusing bit: it hallucinated almost the entire answer while sounding authoritative.


That’s actually quite a good example of the problem with taking an AI answer at face value. Coventry’s Bentley in the 1950s was Alf Bentley, not Ron Bentley. He was a goalkeeper for City from 1955–58 and made 29 first-team appearances, not 200+. (Margate Football Club History)


So the AI has essentially invented “Ron Bentley”, invented his 200+ appearances, then confidently established that Dan Bentley isn’t related to the man it invented. 😂


The original question is still interesting though. Dan’s father, Ian Bentley, was also a goalkeeper and played for Manchester United as a youngster, so there is at least a footballing family there. I can’t find any reliable source establishing whether Dan is related to Alf Bentley, so “I don’t know” seems to be the actual answer. (charityfootballmat.wixsite.com)
 
I’d reply by pointing out the amusing bit: it hallucinated almost the entire answer while sounding authoritative.


That’s actually quite a good example of the problem with taking an AI answer at face value. Coventry’s Bentley in the 1950s was Alf Bentley, not Ron Bentley. He was a goalkeeper for City from 1955–58 and made 29 first-team appearances, not 200+. (Margate Football Club History)


So the AI has essentially invented “Ron Bentley”, invented his 200+ appearances, then confidently established that Dan Bentley isn’t related to the man it invented. 😂


The original question is still interesting though. Dan’s father, Ian Bentley, was also a goalkeeper and played for Manchester United as a youngster, so there is at least a footballing family there. I can’t find any reliable source establishing whether Dan is related to Alf Bentley, so “I don’t know” seems to be the actual answer. (charityfootballmat.wixsite.com)
If memory serves me correctly, Alf signed at the same time as a young lad named George from Snowden Colliery in Kent
 
Went to the first half of the U21 at lunchtime down the Higgs and Dovin was in goal. Can only assume that's with a view to a loan move and that Bentley / Wilson will be the choices tonight with Rushworth staying at home.
 
Struggling to feel positive about this one. Not a convincing debut at all, if we don’t concede the first goal, we batter Plymouth to nil imo.
 
We shouldn't judge on one game, but he looked shaky tonight.
 
I don’t understand why we’ve signed him.
I guess Dovin will go out on loan soon and hell
Be no2/3. Weird signing for me.
 
Realistically tonight was one of the few games he’ll ever play for us. Dovin’s unlucky injury and Robins bizarrely keeper swapping has got this fanbase thinking that goalkeeper is rotating position when in reality if he’s fit (and the chance is he will be as keepers rarely get injury) Rushworth will play all 38 league games this season.

Wasting a year of Dovin’s career on the off chance that Rushworth gets injured is stupid.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom