D Day Today (1 Viewer)

dongonzalos

Sounds good. However

For me I would have kept

DKE
Stokes (unless there is something we don't know about that injury)
J. Jones
Haynes
Bigi
G.Thomas
RCC ( number 2 )
Beavan

Sell Willis and Stevenson and Harries

Release or encourage to leave...

Lamieres
Tudguy
Clarke
Turnball
Gad
K. Thomas
Reid
Burge

I would sign a GK, 2*CB, 1*RB,
DCM x 2 A creative CM
2 * Wingers.
2* strikers.

The rest would be the under 23 and under 18's who I have a feeling would surprise a few.

Chipfat

If Willis, Stevenson are off with the 8 others then the turnover of players will have to be big. Also i'm not sure they can offer enough to keep Thomas, Bigi and DKE as all will be offered more money in L1 or Conference. So its ok Robins wanting certain players to stay but he is going to have a job shuffling this around. Its no shock he praised the boy yesterday as him, Shipley, Leahy, Finn, and Bayliss will be in most of next year squads i would of thought.

Long term MR walks in my opinion.

Last edited:

dongonzalos

How many players will we be looking to recruit for next season after releasing so many today?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Depends how many of the current under 18's and Under 23's he will use but like for like I think it is 12

dongonzalos

Strange thing this still ignites my interest.
Even though I know the constant change of squads, managers, coaching staff and players contributes to our downfall

Gazolba

<snip>

I am baffled by the Burge is the best goalie in L1 comments on social media though!
I think they meant Burge is the best goalie at letting 1 in.

singers_pore

It's easy binning off the worse players. It's a different matter entirely to attract better players than the ones we are letting go, especially if it's true that we are offering players like DKE a basic salary of only 500 quid per week (26K per year). Surely we can offer a salary somewhere between 50K-75K per year given we are supposed to have a budget of around 1.5 million?

skybluesam66

I wouldn't sign for £500 a week either
A 20 year old kid playing 4th division football who has done nothing at all yet!! he should bite their hands off, and then prove hes worth it - ot may find himself out of the game

1987 at todays rates a certain Keith houchen was playing for £680 a week

martcov

I think they meant Burge is the best goalie at letting 1 in.

He is not that bad and it's alright people saying 'get someone else', but I would actually get someone else before releasing him. ( it may of course be that Robins has someone in mind ). We need goals as a priority and our current keepers are good enough for league 2. maybe it is more about cost cutting than team building and Burge will be replaced by a kid on low wages.

Astute

It's easy binning off the worse players. It's a different matter entirely to attract better players than the ones we are letting go, especially if it's true that we are offering players like DKE a basic salary of only 500 quid per week (26K per year). Surely we can offer a salary somewhere between 50K-75K per year given we are supposed to have a budget of around 1.5 million?
A 1.5m budget doesn't get you a lot.

So we offer players 1.5k a week. That isn't a lot these days. That is just over 75k a year. Just the players on the pitch takes over half the budget. Then you have the subs. So you have 18 players @ 75k. That takes 1,350,000 of your budget. You can have 2 more players to cover injuries. Does anyone think we could do a full season with 20 players?

Decent strikers can command more money. We could do with two of them. So we need an average wage of 1k a week average. 52k a year. This would give you a squad of 30 players. For each player on 75k you need a player on £500 a week.

The only good thing is that 1.5m is still a decent budget in Division 4. It just needs to be spent wisely.

Nick

Administrator
A 1.5m budget doesn't get you a lot.

So we offer players 1.5k a week. That isn't a lot these days. That is just over 75k a year. Just the players on the pitch takes over half the budget. Then you have the subs. So you have 18 players @ 75k. That takes 1,350,000 of your budget. You can have 2 more players to cover injuries. Does anyone think we could do a full season with 20 players?

Decent strikers can command more money. We could do with two of them. So we need an average wage of 1k a week average. 52k a year. This would give you a squad of 30 players. For each player on 75k you need a player on £500 a week.

The only good thing is that 1.5m is still a decent budget in Division 4. It just needs to be spent wisely.
1.5k a week is double the league average nearly I think

Skybluefaz

He is not that bad and it's alright people saying 'get someone else', but I would actually get someone else before releasing him. ( it may of course be that Robins has someone in mind ). We need goals as a priority and our current keepers are good enough for league 2. maybe it is more about cost cutting than team building and Burge will be replaced by a kid on low wages.
Our current keepers are not good enough for league 2. I've read people saying that league 2 is long balls into the box to giant strikers and that spells disaster for Burge and Cook. We need a keeper that can catch and command the box. I'm sure there will be one available.

Esoterica

Robins obviously sees something in Lameiras that he likes. Let's see how it goes. Don't think he's been that bad lately but do find him massively frustrating.
Lameiras is only 22. I'd imagine his wage was low after being released without playing for Spurs. Surely his contract offer is as much about securing whatever compensation we can get when he leaves?

stupot07

Who says the budget will be £1.5m? Plus league two average wages is £40k pa.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

torchomatic

Happy_Martian

I'm still waiting on the "official" list. This "The Coventry Telegraph understands" cover-all means they have no confirmed info from Robins, and they may just have asked the tea lady about who's bought a tea or gone straight for the vodka (or read speculation on here o_O ).

Essexyellows

Obsessive Dot Counter
If its scant consolation you can get out of League 2 playing football on a £1.5 million budget, but you have to have a "Plan B" and the players that can do it because you will come up against more direct football. Its also where the scouting system (sorry if you haven`t got one!) will earn its corn, that could be loans that sign, our best example being Kemar Roofe who done just that & we sold him for £3.5-4million. You also need a good academy/youth structure (again...its needed) to bring in "fringe players", those who might make it .. or not.
I wouldn`t recommend a small squad playing 60+ games in a season............ you get knackered for the league run in, lose games you shouldn`t, miss the play offs by the odd win then get to the cup final and lose to the underdogs! :bag::happy::happy:

Esoterica

I'm still waiting on the "official" list. This "The Coventry Telegraph understands" cover-all means they have no confirmed info from Robins, and they may just have asked the tea lady about who's bought a tea or gone straight for the vodka (or read speculation on here o_O ).
Interesting thoughts. What do you think the current squads go to choice of drink would be?

Burge - would have been straight on the Slippery Nipples
Bigi - celebrating his new contract with a chilled water, slice of lemon and a sprig of mint.
Nathan Clarke - 8 pints of Tetleys
Ryan Haynes - a blue WKD with a straw.

What about the rest?

Esoterica

I heard £400 pw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
£400 plus all you can eat:
today-12weeks21.jpg

Astute

1.5k a week is double the league average nearly I think
Which is why I said we need an average wage of about 1k a week. It should help to get the better players at the level we are now at.

Kingokings204

Depends how you see it really. On the one hand we have got rid of a lot of dead wood and some truely crap players on the other hand who replaces then on the rumoured budgets. It doesn't look good to me. Whilst I don't want to over pay for players it's no secret if you pay slightly more you get better players. With Bolton and Sheffield united going up from league 1 this year I would of probably put them the top 2 budgets in the league so the proof is there. All well cutting budgets but it's aligned with no ambition and other ways to succeed.

Be prepared for a bad summers recruitment and a mediocre mid table finish because that's all the ambition is. If we really offering that low a wage then you get what you pay for imo.

One bit of advice for MR now that burge has gone. Please please please get a real number 1 experienced journeyman keeper who knows the game and can organize the back 4. Been calling it for 3 years now.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Stokes going the same way as reda with his injuries unfortunately. Looks like he got a bad injury in the last home game so he probably would not have made it back for the beginning of next season

Colin Steins Smile

BG did it brilliantly in 83 and MR can repeat that in 17.
It's true that BG laid the foundations for our 87 team, but the 83 season started really well followed by a dire post xmas run of form. Basically pre-xmas we played every game like a cup tie .....and it was impossible to maintain that energy level.
Here's hoping we have a strong pre-season to mould a new squad.

better days

Which is why I said we need an average wage of about 1k a week. It should help to get the better players at the level we are now at.

Most of our squad are on a lot less basic wages than people on here are speculating even in League 1
Very few will be on £1000 per week
Probably the biggest earners last season were senior guys like Reid, Sordell and Turnball
Some of those deals might have reductions now we have been relegated
The younger guys definitely won't be on big wages in most cases

Up to last year it was possible to make it up with win bonuses but when they were made conditional on getting promotion most of the better senior players like Fleck and Vicelot left
What would most of us have done in their position?

I believe the CT account yesterday to be not far off the mark but some of those offered deals are looking at other options
Clubs often withdraw the offer in these circumstances - like fans they want players who are fully committed to the club

If I was to offer one piece of advice to the management it would be to bring back win bonuses
I was reading an interview with a Premier League goalkeeper over the weekend who said the biggest lesson he has learnt in his career was while on loan at Dartford where he saw how desperate the players were to get the £200 win bonus to pay their mortgage or buy things for their family

It completely changed his outlook

Kingokings204

And this is if the players offered the new deals reject their deals?

Bigi can do better than league 2 imo and george Thomas is out of contract I believe so he won't be staying with us when a championship club takes a punt and offers him a real wage.

What then?

stupot07

And this is if the players offered the new deals reject their deals?

Bigi can do better than league 2 imo and george Thomas is out of contract I believe so he won't be staying with us when a championship club takes a punt and offers him a real wage.

What then?
We sign new players?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread