Cyrus (1 Viewer)

Sbarcher

Coventry City defender Cyrus Christie has emerged as a target for several Major League Soccer sides. Christie is out of contract and has turned down a new deal at Coventry. The news has alerted MLS trioToronto FC, New York Red Bulls and DC United who could all sign Christie on a nominal fee as a move abroad would not fall under compensation restrictions.

Bugger - no money for SISU!!!!

Grendel

I don't think that's very likely do you?

J

Jack Griffin

No compensation means a bigger salary for the player, so if that is the way it woks I think it make it much more likely.

RoboCCFC90

Not a great career move is it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grendel

No compensation means a bigger salary for the player, so if that is the way it woks I think it make it much more likely.

I am sure you have probably jerked yourself off already at the prospect of the club receiving no money Council Jack but if we applied the logic its an avenue many free agents would follow.

lewys33

I am sure you have probably jerked yourself off already at the prospect of the club receiving no money Council Jack but if we applied the logic its an avenue many free agents would follow.

You can't help yourself can you?? This thread is in "Coventry City General Chat" so I am afraid you have come to the wrong place. I am sure you could set up your own "I hate the council" forum if you wish.

pusbccfc

It's a dream to live in New York for Cyrus, but in terms of football, the league is a joke, Bradley Wright-Phillips is the best striker in the league.

Noggin

Not a great career move is it

I'd have thought the quality of football is above league one, but I could easily be wrong, playing in front of 22k people and living in New York seems pretty damn appealing to me when you are leaving Coventry and 2k crowds.

No idea if the story has any basis in fact though

duffer

I'd have thought the quality of football is above league one, but I could easily be wrong, playing in front of 22k people and living in New York seems pretty damn appealing to me when you are leaving Coventry and 2k crowds.

No idea if the story has any basis in fact though

I think if you're serious about progressing your career and aiming for (say) the Prem and international status, it's a mistake. As a lifestyle and cash choice though, it must be tempting...

RoboCCFC90

Don't get me wrong there are a lot of upsides to moving to New York and playing Football, I considered it myself at one point.. However in terms of a career, I am not sure it's the best move when you consider the sort of Clubs that have been linked with him..

Covstu

He isnt good enough to be a premier league or top 5 championship player so MLS might be a better option for him. Gutted we wont get anything for him but good luck to him.

Noggin

I think if you're serious about progressing your career and aiming for (say) the Prem and international status, it's a mistake. As a lifestyle and cash choice though, it must be tempting...

yes that is a fair point and you and Robbo are right in that, in terms of being a stepping stone to greater things its probably a bad plan and if he really belives he is premier league quality he shouldn't do it. In terms of having a great life though its very appealing especially as some overseas players are outside of the salary cap, some of the overseas players are paid about 10times what he is likely to be on here (of course I have no idea what he'd get there) and lets be honest he very likely isn't premiership quality.

shmmeee

That crop of players all seem to want the "baller" lifestyle. It's more likely in New York than Huddersfield to be fair.

Would be a shame as he's got to be worth a bit on compo.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Players go to the MLS for a final pay day just before they retire usually. Cyrus is far from retirement so can't see it myself. And the MLS is not a bigger league; just a bigger pay packet!

Sure the fans of these teams are crossing everything that he becomes one of their players!

If he wants an easy life, in good surroundings, he may consider it; if he has any ambition as a footballer, he'll turn it down

shmmeee

Players go to the MLS for a final pay day just before they retire usually. Cyrus is far from retirement so can't see it myself. And the MLS is not a bigger league; just a bigger pay packet!

Sure the fans of these teams are crossing everything that he becomes one of their players!

If he wants an easy life, in good surroundings, he may consider it; if he has any ambition as a footballer, he'll turn it down

I don't think he'll ever make the Prem, it might just be his best option.

lewys33

I cant help but think that Cyrus comes across as a money guy, rather than a "I desperately want play for England" kind of guy.

Noggin

The average attendance in the MLS is 18.6k, league one is 7.6k, I'd be surprised if the quality of football isn't higher than the top end of league one. USA are a decent team now, ranked 14 in the world. I'm not sure if the definition of "bigger league" but if I were deciding which was a a bigger league the MLS would be below the championship but above league one.

SonOfSnoz

If it's true, would he not be an even bigger judas that Dublin etc?
Leaving his home town club for non league soccer in the US?
Also preventing the club getting any income!
Can't blame Sisu if they then can't afford new players!
Hopefully no truth in this anyway!

shmmeee

If it's true, would he not be an even bigger judas that Dublin etc?
Leaving his home town club for non league soccer in the US?
Also preventing the club getting any income!
Can't blame Sisu if they then can't afford new players!
Hopefully no truth in this anyway!

Except for, you know, the policy of letting valuable players' contracts expire and the move to Northampton.

SonOfSnoz

Gone are the days of a local wealthy owner.
Now it's consortia made up of God knows how many & from how far?
The state this club was in, only one way for it.......

Joy Division

Living in Coventry or New York/Toronto/Washington? Hmmmmm difficult

hill83

I cant help but think that Cyrus comes across as a money guy, rather than a "I desperately want play for England" kind of guy.

Or maybe, as we all would be, knowing that you are unlikely to get anywhere near the England team, looking for the cash.

torchomatic

rupert_bear

Word is Waggott refuses to talk to Cyrus's agent who incidently is also Callum Wilson's agent a sideways move to a foreign club and then loaned back to an English one would be a clever move I would say.

Chipfat

At his age if no prem club comes in it will be about money and location and USA would be very attractive package to any player. When you way up a Huddersfield or Ipswich on a decent wage or USA on the same money with what the location offers it may not be a very hard decision.

As for the club and lost transfer money, you let a players contract run down that's the risk you take, after a certain point you also know what the player will do in regards to an extension..If the player is out of contract he is free to take up any option without thought of previous registration holder, Christie will look at the best for him and family not CCFC.

ccfcway

Word is Waggott refuses to talk to Cyrus's agent who incidently is also Callum Wilson's agent a sideways move to a foreign club and then loaned back to an English one would be a clever move I would say.

lord help us if thats true. Is there anyone SISU will actually talk to ?

rupert_bear

lord help us if thats true. Is there anyone SISU will actually talk to ?
Unfortunately I believe it is true. I also believe clubs don't talk to us either so a bit of a double wammy the same happened at Charlton Athletic when he and his mate were there, apparently.

torchomatic

"Word is"? What does that mean?

Users who are viewing this thread