CWR (5 Viewers)

Grendel

@stringforabrain

chiefdave

Saw someone mention a few weeks back that the pitch was coming up like carpet tiles during games. Didn't imagine it would be that bad though.

What on earth have they done to it? Can only assume it was prepared offsite and then transferred in panels which haven't bedded in right.

Mentioned in the summer that it seemed odd they'd leave it so late to lay the pitch when there was nothing scheduled to take place in the stadium bowl, guess they're seeing the result of that now.

Nick

Administrator
The question asked was literally “why are Wasps here?” He answered that question. You’re trying too hard.

If he was he would have told them about Wasps rejecting ideas in London or mentioned that they were touted while the club was still here.

It isn't me trying too hard, I haven't opened up Photoshop to create lists to try and mislead people.

shmmeee

Fucking hell.

No way should we go back to that pitch. Question for those that want us at the Butts: wouldn’t that be even worse as I assume they have less money to spend on the pitch or is the Wasps pitch abnormally bad?

We need our own ground. We really do. Everything should be focused on that.

Nick

Administrator
Fucking hell.

No way should we go back to that pitch. Question for those that want us at the Butts: wouldn’t that be even worse as I assume they have less money to spend on the pitch or is the Wasps pitch abnormally bad?

We need our own ground. We really do. Everything should be focused on that.

The Butts has an artificial pitch now so I guess that's out of the equation.

The Ricoh pitch has been shockingly bad for years.

shmmeee

If he was he would have told them about Wasps rejecting ideas in London or mentioned that they were touted while the club was still here.

It isn't me trying too hard, I haven't opened up Photoshop to create lists to try and mislead people.

Not going to get into an argument with you about family mate. Shouldn’t have started in the first place. I think you’re being ungenerous, I’ll leave it at that. I’ve only just got on Twitter on this so don’t know what he’s been up to and frankly don’t want to. (we genuinely don’t talk about off field stuff, barely talk about on field stuff either these days)

shmmeee

The Butts has an artificial pitch now so I guess that's out of the equation.

The Ricoh pitch has been shockingly bad for years.

But why? Can’t just be a string of shit grounds men. Was it built badly? Is it the evil Leicester shirt in the foundations? It’s clearly possible to have a decent pitch. If there’s something genuinely fundamentally wrong with it then frankly we need to write the Ricoh off as a football ground.

Nick

Administrator
But why? Can’t just be a string of shit grounds men. Was it built badly? Is it the evil Leicester shirt in the foundations? It’s clearly possible to have a decent pitch. If there’s something genuinely fundamentally wrong with it then frankly we need to write the Ricoh off as a football ground.

Maybe it just isn't looked after properly?

I remember about 3 pitches ago they said it would be fine for Football and Rugby if looked after properly, it was awful. Wasps got Andy Turner down there for a big PR scoop because they had drafted in some heat lamps as a one off to show how they were looking after it.

This year it was said the pitch was laid too late so it didn't have time to be done properly which now seems to show.

fernandopartridge

It had a very decent pitch for the first 4 or 5 years, I think initially CCFC looked after it and employed the groundsman. It declined a bit when Ledwidge left for Leicester and ACL started to look after it, but under Wasps it has got far worse.

I think Wasps desperately chasing any event they can to utilise the arena bowl has led to this, as Nick says they could have laid a pitch in the summer and had it properly bedded in by now. There is a definite risk of serious injury on that pitch.

shmmeee

Maybe it just isn't looked after properly?

I remember about 3 pitches ago they said it would be fine for Football and Rugby if looked after properly, it was awful. Wasps got Andy Turner down there for a big PR scoop because they had drafted in some heat lamps as a one off to show how they were looking after it.

This year it was said the pitch was laid too late so it didn't have time to be done properly which now seems to show.

Maybe my memory is playing tricks but I can’t ever remember it being particularly good. Even when it was just us.

You’re right though, could be they just don’t give a shit. In an ideal world if we went back we’d have a SLA on the pitch with compo if it’s not at a certain quality. Not likely with the current clusterfuck though.

shmmeee

It had a very decent pitch for the first 4 or 5 years, I think initially CCFC looked after it and employed the groundsman. It declined a bit when Ledwidge left for Leicester and ACL started to look after it, but under Wasps it has got far worse.

I think Wasps desperately chasing any event they can to utilise the arena bowl has led to this, as Nick says they could have laid a pitch in the summer and had it properly bedded in by now. There is a definite risk of serious injury on that pitch.

Now you mention it you’re right. I remember we had a great groundsman.

shepardo01

I don't know which is best, David Bell running or the pitch.
One of the best songs ever as he came on as a sub after being out for an eternity..
"We thought you were dead,
We thought you were dead,
Oh David Bell, we thought you were dead!"
Away game, can't remember who against...
Although he played like he was dead most of the time!

shepardo01

....Lewidge was a great grounds man, pitch was extremely good under him.
Poached by Leicester I think, it was him that used to do all the intricate designs mowed in until they were banned.

chiefdave

FP but me to it. Seems that when the lease was broken ACL took over responsibility for the pitch and our groundman moved over to work for them, shortly after he left and things went downhill from there.

Other grounds have rugby and football on them without being as bad as the Ricoh. And they can't blame overuse this season.

No idea why they left it so late this season. There were pictures of the Ricoh on twitter after our season had started and they hadn't even begun laying the new pitch. What leave it to the last minute when they'd had months with no events.

shmmeee

How hard/costly can it be to have a decent pitch though? We’re we just extremely lucky to have the guy we had or is it just we lost control and ACL/Wasps didn’t know/care to do any better?

Liquid Gold

My director is a rugby fan and he was just mentioning how bad the pitch looked on tv just rolling up. Says Bristol don’t have the problems at all and it’s always immaculate.

covmark

One of the best songs ever as he came on as a sub after being out for an eternity..
"We thought you were dead,
We thought you were dead,
Oh David Bell, we thought you were dead!"
Away game, can't remember who against...
Although he played like he was dead most of the time!
Bournemouth away. 2 nil victory.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Hobo

I don't know which is best, David Bell running or the pitch.
The pitch - Bell standing still or running made no difference.

Nick

Administrator
Coventry City and the Ricoh Arena - What we know so far

No official comment has been made but we understand that nothing has changed regarding the conditions for a return, and that an indemnity clause does exist and is seen as the stumbling block between the two parties.

Sisu signed an agreement last Spring not to pursue legal action against Wasps regarding the sale and lease of the stadium to pave the way for talks to go ahead to agree a new deal to stay at the Ricoh.

But Wasps are understood to have insisted they go a step further by agreeing to an indemnity clause which proved to be the straw that broke the camel's back and something the hedge fund owners refuse to sign.

Its funny Stuart Linnell goes on about people on social media stirring, it's a bit different to people bullshitting live on radio while paid by the BBC like he does..

Users who are viewing this thread