cricket 2023 (2 Viewers)

tisza

Not the biggest Leach fan but the cupboard looks pretty bare now he's been ruled out of the Ashes

chiefdave

how the hell does a spin bowler get a stress fracture. something is up with the number of stress fractures England get compared to other countries

Terry Gibson's perm

Moeen Ali has been approached play in the ashes good news for the bears Davies back as captain and Yates back in the team.

chiefdave

Moeen Ali has been approached play in the ashes good news for the bears Davies back as captain and Yates back in the team.
Was going to post the same, the balance of the side is all over the place since Mo came back. Obviously he's a great player but there's not really a vacant role for him in that side and its disrupted a good side forcing him in

That being said its hardly a stunning endorsement of the county system if the best option is someone who hasn't touched a red ball in a couple of years

tisza

Was going to post the same, the balance of the side is all over the place since Mo came back. Obviously he's a great player but there's not really a vacant role for him in that side and its disrupted a good side forcing him in

That being said its hardly a stunning endorsement of the county system if the best option is someone who hasn't touched a red ball in a couple of years
Spinners just don't get overs in the first part of the county season due to weather & wickets then they're bowling white ball during the dry months.

SkyBlueSoul

I get that it's a short term solution but I'm not sure I see the logic other than he can also be sent out to bat in white ball mode, considering he retired saying Test cricket was too long and he couldn't concentrate during games anymore. I guess that could have been down to fatigue of the schedule and a one off series may be alright.

Bertola

I get that it's a short term solution but I'm not sure I see the logic other than he can also be sent out to bat in white ball mode, considering he retired saying Test cricket was too long and he couldn't concentrate during games anymore. I guess that could have been down to fatigue of the schedule and a one off series may be alright.
There's not really anyone else to choose from. Ahmed can potentially feel a little unlucky, but youth has gone against him.

CCFCSteve

This has been Stokes/McCullums approach, play for the now, pick the best team to get tests won today and tomorrow will hopefully look after itself. If Mo’s genuinely up for it and hasn’t been coerced into playing then I’ll trust their judgement. Throwing an inexperienced spinner into the ashes on likely unfriendly pitches, when we’ve not won them for a while, would be a huge gamble

chiefdave

There's not really anyone else to choose from. Ahmed can potentially feel a little unlucky, but youth has gone against him.
Ahmed is clearly next in line but I'm not sure throwing him in as the only spin option in an ashes series is going to help his development, if it was one or two games you might risk it but it could do him more harm than good at the moment

Terry Gibson's perm

Sam Hain again tonight starting to get a bit embarrassing now for England especially when you pick a walking wicket like Crawley.

chiefdave

Bears have just threw it away
shocking death bowling tonight. not sure you can blame that on Mo. But both him and Maxwell, the supposed stars of the team, are contributing very little at the moment, you can't help wonder if they'd keep their places if they were the big name players. Meanwhile OHD is running drinks every night.

thekidfromstrettoncamp

The coach should ask a few questions about last nights performance.The collaspe at the end terrible 20 off Woakes last over,short pitch and full tosses and that last ball from Miles unbelieveable.

David O'Day

Ahmed is clearly next in line but I'm not sure throwing him in as the only spin option in an ashes series is going to help his development, if it was one or two games you might risk it but it could do him more harm than good at the moment
isn't also with stokes potentially not bowling much if at all the spinner will need to hold down an end rather than being a frontline wicket taker?

chiefdave

isn't also with stokes potentially not bowling much if at all the spinner will need to hold down an end rather than being a frontline wicket taker?
that's where they'll miss Leach, isn't his runs per over something ridiculous like 3 under Stokes / McCullum. Mo's got an economy rate under 4 in tests but its a big ask after only bowling 4 overs a game for a couple of years

David O'Day

that's where they'll miss Leach, isn't his runs per over something ridiculous like 3 under Stokes / McCullum. Mo's got an economy rate under 4 in tests but its a big ask after only bowling 4 overs a game for a couple of years
Yeah, that's the risk. If Mo can readjust quickly it's the best decision.

Probably the best decision yet as Ahmed may not be ready to bowl long spells on not very turning pitches yet.

Terry Gibson's perm

Mo will need to improve on his bears form as he has been useless since returning.

Users who are viewing this thread