Credit to Thorn (1 Viewer)

Gaz

A small amount of fans have had a pop at Thorn over the last few weeks but I thought he got his subs spot on at H/T

It worked well and I thought it deserved a mention.

pusbccfc

Andy Thorns Sky Blue Army!

@richh87

A small amount of fans have had a pop at Thorn over the last few weeks but I thought he got his subs spot on at H/T

Yeah - it's a brave move to sub 2 players at half time and his changes totally turned the game around.

Sky Blue Sheepy

I'll slate him when he deserves it so equal is needed. Formation and subs were spot on yesterday. Maybe hes getting the hang of this manager business!

Stevec189

Clearly the dressing room talk at half time was excellent. It was clear that although they switched to a diamond after it was clear 433 was never going to work the players lacked tha ability to play in their new positions without being told where to play. It was not only Bigi who was wandering all over the place. 2nd half they stayed in position and Baker and Deegan did well. Deegan needs to show consistancy now otherwise he will always be a nearly player. He was truely awful when he played before that.

BigCsCheesyGrin

Clearly the dressing room talk at half time was excellent. It was clear that although they switched to a diamond after it was clear 433 was never going to work the players lacked tha ability to play in their new positions without being told where to play. It was not only Bigi who was wandering all over the place. 2nd half they stayed in position and Baker and Deegan did well. Deegan needs to show consistancy now otherwise he will always be a nearly player. He was truely awful when he played before that.

Deegan was awful against Southampton, which surprised me really. However, lets hope this is the start of a consistent and successful period in the starting 11. Shame about Bigi's recent fall from grace. Fingers crossed he will recover his form soon.

@richh87

Deegan was awful against Southampton, which surprised me really. However, lets hope this is the start of a consistent and successful period in the starting 11. Shame about Bigi's recent fall from grace. Fingers crossed he will recover his form soon.

Yeah he really was - and to be honest i'm yet to be convinced by him. Still, he seems to pop up with goals when he does play!

Kajer

fair play yesterday he was tactically spot on in the second half.

however the jury is still very much out

ajsccfc

The pops at Thorn have been completely justified, as is the credit given to him for yesterday. It doesn't have to be one or the other after all.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern

I'm one of those fans gaz, (although I haven't been malicious about it). But one win after all this time still doesn't make Thorn a good manager. It's taken him all this time to get it right. Let's just hope this isn't a "one-off" and he can really start to turn things around. Until then, I'll reserve judgement on him. I really hope I'm proved wrong.

stupot07

If only he had done it 6 weeks ago when everyone else realised the diamond doesn't work.

I don't get what you mean? He started 433/451 and we were awful. He then pushed sheffers up droning and switched to the diamond after 20 mins or so, with immediately allowed Christie and hussey to get forward and we started to create some chances. We continued with the diamond second half.

@richh87

If only he had done it 6 weeks ago when everyone else realised the diamond doesn't work.

What?! Were you at the game? It was the first half's 4-3-3 that didn't work. We reverted back to the diamond for the second half and were much improved...

If you're going to have a pop at the guy at least get it right.

Otis

Happy to give praise to Thorn.

Will criticise him when he gets it wrong and pat him on the back when he gets it right.

And that is exactly the way it should be.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Tye subs were a good move (for a change). It made a nice change that it looked as though Thorn was seeing what we have been seeing most games - we needed to change things. Usually, the opposition change their game to suit ours but finally yesterday, AT caugut onto the fact the way we were going wasnt working! Well done AT and his staff (im sure he wasnt alone in making that decision). He must have given the players a right rocket up the arse at half time!

dadgad

CLEARLY, with Dooolally out of the way AT was able to manage the team without interference from the orange dimwit.
Yesterday it showed.

Gaz

I'm one of those fans gaz, (although I haven't been malicious about it). But one win after all this time still doesn't make Thorn a good manager. It's taken him all this time to get it right. Let's just hope this isn't a "one-off" and he can really start to turn things around. Until then, I'll reserve judgement on him. I really hope I'm proved wrong.
This thread was started to just say Thorn did well yesterday and got his H/t subs spot on.
Nothing about him being a good manager or not.
Nothing more, nothing less

EleanorRigby

Yeah he really was - and to be honest i'm yet to be convinced by him. Still, he seems to pop up with goals when he does play!
Fecking aida. Deegan has played about 4 games since coming back from injury and was clearly not match fit against Southampton. I hope he has spent the last 2 or 3 weeks getting his fitness levels right because he ain;t a bad player in my book.

Macca

As I have been trying to say for weeks. The manager can have an impact and is not rendered impotent by sisu. Therefore in my eyes he gets my admiration for yesterday and a whole load of shit for what's happened up to now

bamalamafizzfazz

My point was we moved away from a static diamond with very little movement. I personally believe that it wasn't a diamond in the second half and more like two banks of two. It wasn't the positioning of the players anyway that changed the game it was the mindset of moving into spaces where chances could be created. This is what we have been lacking for weeks and now believe that the penny finally dropped for Thorn that to play possession football you need your players to move into space as well as come towards the ball looking for the short pass.
I think Clingan has been woeful recently (apart from his goal a few weeks back) but if we have movement like that up front then he will create numerous chances from deep in future.
Credit to Thorn yesterday but we need to push on and get a result on Saturday.

wingy

The biggest contributing factor to any of our more successful appearances this season has been tempo ,reading ,derby ,forrest ,blackpool brizzle,where we zip the ball about and move into space to recieve ,instead of being static and waiting for the one with the ball to do all the work ,options!!!!!!!!!!!!!

coop

We played not to bad second halve but we still only had 5 shots on target all game compared to Bristol's 19.I know it's all about scoring and winning but we still don't create enough chances hence why we rarely score more than 1goal in a game

Grendel

The biggest contributing factor to any of our more successful appearances this season has been tempo ,reading ,derby ,forrest ,blackpool brizzle,where we zip the ball about and move into space to recieve ,instead of being static and waiting for the one with the ball to do all the work ,options!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wingy you are spot on. The team played like it wanted to win. Formations are a red herring the team has to play with intensity and much higher up the pitch. The few times this has happened we have a chance of winning. If it carries on we have a chance but most of the time we are far, far too cautious. So on this occassion credit to Thorn for turning it round and let's hope he proves me wrong.

rob9872

I thought Hussey was taken off with a knock and I reckon Stevie Wonder could have seen Bigi was off the pace yesterday. The subs worked well but the set up he had gone with was in his mind the right way to go after training all week and we were awful with that first XI he had selected. I'm not having a pop at Thorn here btw but I think it was more a case of luck than judgement. We rode it out well (after a couple of decent saves from Murphy or the tone of these posts would have been vastly different) but the real credit will be due if we can back it up. This should have lifted the whole camp and Saturday will be more of a judgement day.

ICHAN

As rob says we will see I think saturday how the team respond to getting the win, then we will know if they have any fight in them or if this was just a lucky result where we got away with it.
If we lose again then we wll be back to the problems again before mondays result, I do not think we are away from the problems but a win does mask the problems and does make everyone feel a bit happier, brighton are struggling and getting found out now but they will feel confident in getting 3 points from us, as a team if a win does not motivate them then we are truely screwed and someone has to start asking why.

Paxman II

i saw a 4-4-2 second half for long periods. We splayed the ball wide 9baker) on many occasions. We got in behind them. Crosses rolled in. Second half was a good performance even if we rode our luck here and there.

KersleyDigs

We quite clearly started 4-2-3-1:

----------------------------Murphy-------------------------------
Christie----------Keogh---------------Wood----------Hussey
-----------------Thomas---------------Bigi---------------------
McSheffrey-----------------Bell-------------------------Baker
-----------------------------Juke-------------------------------

and 2nd half:

--------------------------Murphy---------------------------
Christie--------Keogh-----------Cameron---------Wood
-------------------------Thomas--------------------------
--------------Deegan---------------Baker----------------
---------------------------Bell----------------------------
-------------McSheffrey-------Juktkiewicz--------------

I really want the formation to change, it seems too easy to blame this still at the moment for me. It seems whenever we do change things it has a positive outcome, one up front is not the answer and I just hope Thorn can see that.

Nonleagueherewecome

The fact that he abandoned it and spoke about how "1 up doesn't suit us" should put your mind at rest ;)

Nonleagueherewecome

I think he was on about the scoreline;)

Nah, Thorn was talking about formations and said 1 up front "didn't suit us". And Parsons was definitely talking about 1 up front.

Also-he didn't bollock them at h.t. He rightly realised that poor confidence was an issue, and in his words "made the players feel good about themselves" at h.t. That's what we saw 2nd half-players who thought they could play. Betcha Deegs helped with that and getting them going no-end.

procdoc

when McSheffrey moved up front I thought he was immense. I know he missed a sitter but his movement off the shoulder of their defenders was superb. I think we should give him a run of games up top, afterall when he was in our academy didn't he bang in 40 odd a season?

rob9872

Different level though. I used to score 10 in the playground every lunchtime but I expect to wait in line behind Sheffers Juke and even Eastwood for a game (although I was definitely sharper than R O'D) :)

Users who are viewing this thread