Coventry's best ever manager? (1 Viewer)

NortonSkyBlue

I have supported Coventry playing under every manager back to, and including Jimmy Hill. for me the best football was played under Noel Cantwell.
Me too but can't agree with you. Cantwell had a tough first two years avoiding relegation and a low scoring last couple of years. His good year was built around away form(we lost loads of home games.)
Milne was a good manager as was Sillett and I would add Robins to that list.

covcity4life

Robin's best achievement
Mowbray best football
All the prem ones live fond in memory though as great times looking back

Irish Sky Blue

It is hard to look past the managers who actually won things so JH and John Sillett would have to be bat the top of the list, particularly Jimmy Hill for the way he totally transformed the club. My favourite manager though was Gordon Milne. He signed my favourite ever City player, Tommy Hutchison and put together my favourite ever City team. The football we played in the Fergie Wallace season was fantastic, a joy to watch. He managed through a really difficult period financially but still produced two or three really exciting teams.
George Raynor was before my time and I only know of him through books by Jim Brown and by Derek Henderson. From what I remember reading, he produced an exciting team that would beat anyone at home but who could not get results away. I don’t think he was sacked, I think he resigned himself as I think Coventry was a bit of a culture shock from the clubs abroad he had been used to.

dadgad

Noel Cantwell, for keeping a shite team up and then achieving our highest ever league position...ever.
No contest really.

letsallsingtogether

Sillet and Milne for me.
Don't really remember any from before that and no one that has followed since has come close.
Started going up regularly when I was 16 in 1978 they were the best times being a City supporter no politics just beer and football.
Win or lose ruck on Gosford park then off home change and back into town.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I personally loved the team under Gordon Milne. But there have been some really good managers through the years. My most hated was Gordon Strap-on. Couldn't stand the ginger headed little shite! Him and Atkinson were the downfall of this club as far as I'm concerned. And Atkinson was a piece of shit to interview! I learned that first hand! Miserable fat bastard!

Last edited:

Magwitch

Noel Cantwell, for keeping a shite team up and then achieving our highest ever league position...ever.
No contest really.
Cannot agree with that statement Noel Cantwell created the “shite” team you mention. Jimmy Hill’s team was an excellent team with a lot of good youngish players but Cantwell broke it up and replaced them with inferior players, he sold Bobby Gould, John Tudor, Ronnie Rees, Dave Clements. He bought centre forwards like they were going out of fashion and for big money, Gerry Baker, £30k, Neil Martin, £90k, Ernie Hunt £80k Tony Hateley £80k, John O’Rourke £72k, Chris Chilton £100k,, Bobby Graham £72k all in a 3 and a half year spell. They were good fees in those days the record transfer at the time fee was £115k only Martin and Hunt were any real good, we struggled for goal, what’s new, yet Gould and Tudor banged lots of goal
It is hard to look past the managers who actually won things so JH and John Sillett would have to be bat the top of the list, particularly Jimmy Hill for the way he totally transformed the club. My favourite manager though was Gordon Milne. He signed my favourite ever City player, Tommy Hutchison and put together my favourite ever City team. The football we played in the Fergie Wallace season was fantastic, a joy to watch. He managed through a really difficult period financially but still produced two or three really exciting teams.
George Raynor was before my time and I only know of him through books by Jim Brown and by Derek Henderson. From what I remember reading, he produced an exciting team that would beat anyone at home but who could not get results away. I don’t think he was sacked, I think he resigned himself as I think Coventry was a bit of a culture shock from the clubs abroad he had been used to.
It was Jessie Carver who was manager came here from Italian football Raynor was trainer and took over from Carver when he resigned

hill83

Not a manager per se but this guy Paul Appleton
PM2947883MR160513MEET-08-Medium.jpg

saved us when the chips were down. The club was nearly lost but thankfully he came up with the goods and kept the mighty Sisu at the helm. The Jimmy Hill of our time. And Andy Thorn.

Irish Sky Blue

Cannot agree with that statement Noel Cantwell created the “shite” team you mention. Jimmy Hill’s team was an excellent team with a lot of good youngish players but Cantwell broke it up and replaced them with inferior players, he sold Bobby Gould, John Tudor, Ronnie Rees, Dave Clements. He bought centre forwards like they were going out of fashion and for big money, Gerry Baker, £30k, Neil Martin, £90k, Ernie Hunt £80k Tony Hateley £80k, John O’Rourke £72k, Chris Chilton £100k,, Bobby Graham £72k all in a 3 and a half year spell. They were good fees in those days the record transfer at the time fee was £115k only Martin and Hunt were any real good, we struggled for goal, what’s new, yet Gould and Tudor banged lots of goal

It was Jessie Carver who was manager came here from Italian football Raynor was trainer and took over from Carver when he resigned
Ahh. Thanks for that. Should have loooked them up before commenting.

dadgad

Cannot agree with that statement Noel Cantwell created the “shite” team you mention. Jimmy Hill’s team was an excellent team with a lot of good youngish players but Cantwell broke it up and replaced them with inferior players, he sold Bobby Gould, John Tudor, Ronnie Rees, Dave Clements. He bought centre forwards like they were going out of fashion and for big money, Gerry Baker, £30k, Neil Martin, £90k, Ernie Hunt £80k Tony Hateley £80k, John O’Rourke £72k, Chris Chilton £100k,, Bobby Graham £72k all in a 3 and a half year spell. They were good fees in those days the record transfer at the time fee was £115k only Martin and Hunt were any real good, we struggled for goal, what’s new, yet Gould and Tudor banged lots of goal.

Cantwell instilled a lot of discipline and got results when they mattered. You make a valid point with purchase of dud strikers but this was offset with some gems in defence. Barry for instance was immense until he broke his leg and only cost £45K.
Cantwell was a defender himself and his teams were set up accordingly...and in his best year one ten times on the road.

Users who are viewing this thread