Coventry's best ever manager? (1 Viewer)

Gazolba

My father who supported Coventry from the 1950's until his death in the 1980's saw many different Coventry teams and many different managers but he always swore they played their best ever football under George Raynor.
You may not have heard of him since he managed Coventry for only 5 months in 1956. He was a tactical genius, but Coventry's upper management did not recognise or appreciate his brilliance. He left Coventry to manage the Swedish national team whom he took to the 1958 World Cup Final, where they lost only to Brazil (featuring Pele). He was the first Englishman to take a team to the World Cup Final. You can read his incredible story here:
George Raynor - Wikipedia
Who knows what CCFC could have achieved if he had continued to manage us.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Gordon Milne's teams produced some of the best football I've ever seen from a Coventry team. We could beat anyone, particularly at home. The best post JH manager.

SBchimp

we've had some serious shite over the years, Reid, Butcher, Pressley, Thorn, Slade.

I actually really liked Eric Black at the time, but it would be between Sillett or Milne for me

Having said that the days of Big Ron were great, not because he was a greatest manager but he knew how to spend the money we never had. and we were for a short while "The Entertainers!!"...….:emoji_notes: chippo, hadji and keano :emoji_notes:

CJ_covblaze

I'm struggling. We've had plenty of shit managers but very few good ones since the early 90s. Adams and Robins are probably the best of those that have been with us for a reasonable amount of time. Black and Nilsson would be the best two if they were given longer.

CJ_covblaze

we've had some serious shite over the years, Reid, Butcher, Pressley, Thorn, Slade.

I actually really liked Eric Black at the time, but it would be between Sillett or Milne for me

Having said that the days of Big Ron were great, not because he was a greatest manager but he knew how to spend the money we never had. and we were for a short while "The Entertainers!!"...….:emoji_notes: chippo, hadji and keano :emoji_notes:

Unfortunately it was Strachan that had that money.

bawtryneal

Sillett. People forget how good the football was under him, the FA Cup was the icing on the cake.

Sillet gets all the credit but how much of the success was down to George Curtis ?
They were never in the same league as Clough and Taylor but very similar set up.

singers_pore

Although Snoz has said in interviews that he was the main guy in terms of coaching and team selection whereas Curtis sorted out the financial stuff behind the scenes. I got the feeling the two of them fell out at some stage.

Hobo

Sillet, Hill and Milne in that order.

Magwitch

Big shame George Curtis didn’t carry on as manager, he controlled the dress room and egos bit of an opposite to Sillett a perfect combination.

usskyblue

Hill did far more for the club (on top of leading us to two league titles). We wouldn’t be the Sky Blues if it wasn't for Hill, and we wouldn’t have our club anthem. He also had a hand in redeveloping HR along with Derrick Robins. This during a 6 year spell.

Sillett’s 4 years saw us play attractive football and finish mainly around mid table...capped, obviously with the amazing cup win in ‘87.

Those are the top 2 for me. However, Hill literally gave us our identity via the Sky Blue Revolution and lead us from the basement, up the leagues.

Magwitch

As for best manager Jimmy Hill by a mile, he had the knack of getting the best out of all players who played for him and made some remarkable signings who became top players here and elsewhere when they moved on, Ernie Machin from non-league Nelson, John Tudor non-league Ilkeston, Willie Carr non-league Cambridge City, Dave Clements from Wolves reserves, the brilliant signing of Bill Glazier, plucking Ronnie Rees out of the youth team who became a full international within a year

thekidfromstrettoncamp

Sillet, Hill and Milne in that order.
Mine would be Jimmy Hill , John Sillett and here is one most people wont like Bobby Gould. Hill for the excitement going up the leagues and doing it on a shoestring Sillett for giving us the F A cup and Gould for bringing the likes of Stuart Pearce, Oggie, Micky's Quinn /Gynn and Trevor Peake to the club

steve cooper

I have supported Coventry playing under every manager back to, and including Jimmy Hill. for me the best football was played under Noel Cantwell.

Grendel

Big shame George Curtis didn’t carry on as manager, he controlled the dress room and egos bit of an opposite to Sillett a perfect combination.

Sillett had total control - all players at the time confirm he was the coach and made all the decisions regarding tactics and selection

Sky_Blue_Daz

Strachan, easily assembled the 2 best footballing squads I have seen as a coventry fan .

Just a shame it went to dog dirt

usskyblue

I think his ego / stubbornness got the better of him the season we went down, particularly playing hedman when he was injured

Never forget his excuse for not beating a 9 man Forest...apparently playing against 9 men is harder than playing against 11

Magwitch

Mine would be Jimmy Hill , John Sillett and here is one most people wont like Bobby Gould. Hill for the excitement going up the leagues and doing it on a shoestring Sillett for giving us the F A cup and Gould for bringing the likes of Stuart Pearce, Oggie, Micky's Quinn /Gynn and Trevor Peake to the club
Plus Dave Bamber, Graham Withey, Steve Morgan, Ranny Avramovic, Ashley Grimes, Paul Williams ( the full back one) and dropping Steve Ogrizovic for son Jonathon. Christ I forgot the best of the lot Leigh Jenkinson !!

Last edited:

Adge

Plus Dave Bamber, Graham Withey, Steve Morgan, Ranny Avramovic, Ashley Grimes, Paul Williams ( the full back one) and dropping Steve Ogrizovic for son Jonathon. Christ I forgot the best of the lot Leigh Jenkinson !!
But you forgot the best-step forward Mr John Gayle!

Users who are viewing this thread