Coventry vs Shrewsbury Match Thread (1 Viewer)

SkyBlueRuffian

Playing in a half empty stadium doesn't help surely, it's no coinsendence that out best performances this season have been away at smaller compact grounds.

Brighton Sky Blue

I was convinced we would win, even when we went 1-0 down. Was still certain we would do it.

A mixture of poor finishing, ill-luck and good defending proved our downfall.

We still should have won though, no doubt about it.

They passed it to Baker all on his own in the box, gave him an open goal, and he still found a way to miss. Didn't make me sure of the win.

Otis

Our away wins are because we don't have to dictate the tempo and the onus is on the home team to make the running. We play on the counter attack.

At home here we are expected to dictate and we can't break teams down cos we're not playing on the counter attack. Nowt to do with the stadium for me.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Elliott must wonder what he has to do to get minutes on the pitch. 3 subs available, 3 subs used, none of which were Elliott!

Unfortunately the winning side took their chances today. That said we created chances but need to be more clinical (especially Sheff with the miss of the century!).

Clarke looks useful but shame we didnt yet to see much of him alongside McG! Bringing on a second striker but sticking to one up front was something id expect from previous managers, but today it was Robins making that decision.

Baker and McG very poor by their recent standards.

Boos at the end were not warranted as i think they were probably from fans who came to their first game in a while today!

Still one loss in 11 (I think it is) so not all doom and gloom. Would have been nice to go into the Spurs game with a bit of a confidence boost but it wasnt to be!

stupot07

Our away wins are because we don't have to dictate the tempo and the onus is on the home team to make the running. We play on the counter attack.

At home here we are expected to dictate and we can't break teams down cos we're not playing on the counter attack. Nowt to do with the stadium for me.

Yeah completely agree with you on that.

covcity4life

Bit harsh on Christie. Could see Clarke getting a run out on Saturday though

His misplaced pass host us the game

He hardly crossed or overlapped and when he did didn't have much quality. Also doesn't seem to know what a simple pass is

I'd be delighted if robins gets a right back loanee

jon92

Shouldn't of dropped Elliot today when he scored 2 away from home, mcgoldrick looked like he weren't bothered

covcity4life

If we don't get embarrassed by spurs a win vs Preston in jpt will be huge

Fans will be dreaming of Wembley and if we can follow that up with a 7th away win on run we will be buzzing again

sw88

Chief Commentator!
His misplaced pass host us the game

He hardly crossed or overlapped and when he did didn't have much quality. Also doesn't seem to know what a simple pass is

I'd be delighted if robins gets a right back loanee

Sheffers miss cost us a goal, and potentially a point. The cross bar cost us another goal, and Lady Luck made the ball rebound off the keeper and out of play rather than into the net. Should we throw all the blame on them too?

Most of the second half, I thought Christie was further up the field than Baker who was very off today. When you are doing the work of two players, mistakes are going to be made.

Im not saying he didnt have a bad game, because by his standards he did, but so did so many others

ohitsaidwalker king power

Not sure that MR got this right today. Fleck sits deeper than Bailey and doesn't look to turn and shift the ball as quick to the front men. That said I thought MR got the substitutions wrong. I thought Bailey should have come on for Fleck at HT and then Clarke. They dominated and scored in the period when we were light in midfield. I also thought the Moussa substitution for Barton wasn't well conceived.Despite this we did have enough chances and I'm afraid it was just one of those days- typified by the Mcsheffrey cross bar bound shot hitting the goalkeeper on the back and going for a corner and not in the net.
I also think that their left winger may well have been offside in the direct build up to their goal. Disappointed but not disheartened.

Onward....:p

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Good point bringing up Barton. What exactly was he brought on for? The two times he was required to head the ball he headed it directly into the path of Shrewsbury, and even then the passes were backwards.

And as hes a defensive player imo why did we not bring on Elliott for a more attacking presence?

SkyBlue_Bear83

Not sure that MR got this right today. Fleck sits deeper than Bailey and doesn't look to turn and shift the ball as quick to the front men. That said I thought MR got the substitutions wrong. I thought Bailey should have come on for Fleck at HT and then Clarke. They dominated and scored in the period when we were light in midfield. I also thought the Moussa substitution for Barton wasn't well conceived.Despite this we did have enough chances and I'm afraid it was just one of those days- typified by the Mcsheffrey cross bar bound shot hitting the goalkeeper on the back and going for a corner and not in the net.
I also think that their left winger may well have been offside in the direct build up to their goal. Disappointed but not disheartened.

Onward....:p
It is hardly like this is a one off at home though? If we had been on good home form an brushing teams aside at H then I may agree. I'm still delighted with how we have been doing but we need to sort out the home form quickly or the play offs will be beyond us

Jonny

My views on the whole of this are that we simply couldn't finish. We missed so many sitters, we should've been at least 3-0 up going into HT..:facepalm:

BeanCCFC

Shrewsbury first away win of the season. Sigh... Very unlucky today mind. But still, it's a shame about our home results.

WestEndAgro

Missed the Game today, after getting absolutely wasted last night, only just surfaced to discover this defeat, what a bad start to 2013, let's just hope it's a blip PUSB

sussexshark

I can understand the disappointment of a blip in such a good run, but it still shouldn't cloud the amazing turnaround in Coventry's fortune since MR arrived, and the pride that has been restored.

I was at the earlier fixture between the two sides when Shrewsbury ran Coventry ragged, which ironically was the catalyst in setting into motion the events that have have restored Coventry's fortunes.

And BrightonSkyBlue, I think the defeat is colouring your view of Shrewsbury, as "one of the worst sides they have ever played". From the commentary it sounded as though they played their part in an entertaining game that produced almost 40 shots at goal and one that was played in a good spirit. Even you said that they could have had 5 goals! Not what you would expect from "a poor side."

Shrewbury's manager Graham Turner has had to combat the difficulties of playing in a higher league, having lost four of the stars of their promotion team: Sharps, Collins, Wroe and Cansdell-sheriff, but whose results have not been a fair reflection of their performances. On Boxing day, the Brentford Manager, Uwe Rosler, praised Shrewsbury for having fought out two evenly matched draws at home and away, claiming that they were the equal of his side in both games. And they are now on a run of just one defeat in eight games.

Now just as that 4-1 defeat at Shrewsbury galvanised the good run that has seen the SkyBlues rise from relegation candidates to promotion hopefuls, so maybe this setback against the same side will set them off on another good run, starting with the luxury of being big underdogs at White Hart lane, through into two mid table supremacy games against Preston and Carlisle... and then taking on clear leaders Tranmere at the Ricoh in a fortnight: a match that could show exactly what your aspirations should be.

A side that has gone almost two months unbeaten does not turn into a bad side because of one unexpected defeat. In fact it may be a blessing by keeping Coventry's feet on the ground and make them work harder. The next two months will be key. Losing to Shrewsbury is better than losing to Tranmere, Brentford, Swindon and the other promotion contenders, as those games will be six pointers, whereas although I expect Shrewbury to rise to mid table, they are unlikely to trouble the leaders.

As it seems, David McG will be leaving, it creates a big void that his prolific scoring feats have filled, but Stephen Elliot will be hungry to do just that, as his performance at MK showed. The midfield today may not have been as robust as in recent weeks... but there was enough creativity to conjure up 20 goal efforts, which was twice as many as in the home match against Preston. ten days ago.

Doubtless MR will be noting his options in the transfer window, but I think that the squad you have is good enough to mount a serious promotion charge. You had a great two month run before today's loss to Shrewsbury; another two months undefeated will have you all singing again.

So then perhaps all of you will be toasting Shrewsbury again for giving you a boot up the backside... even you, BrightonSkyBlue!

stupot07

I think the problem shark is our home record in the league is very poor and this is the root of the frustration - played 13 won 3 drawn 5 lost 5.

Users who are viewing this thread