Coventry v Posh matchday thread (1 Viewer)

BackRoomRummermill

The Fact is we must win every game now and not succumb from a winning position to stay in the second tier of football , would you not agree? You cannot rely on other results, today the players will be gutted which is what worries me.

Bristol will be no roll over, we have never done well there.

Nonleagueherewecome

I'm still terrified we'll blow it. I never seem to have England win at cricket and City win at football on the same day, that's another bad omen :(

Hate to say I told you so!

Got to blame the manager for today IMO, he got the 2nd half completely wrong. Gael was terrible-I can only think Thorn couldn't see it as he was on the other side-but he was just constantly marking space and not picking up his man. So many goals early season involved experienced players working the ball down that flank and exposing Cyrus and Gael, and it was similar today-there might as well have been nobody playing in that position. Clarke was defending that entire flank on his own with a traffic cone in front of him for help. It was crying out for Deegan, whose movement, defensive positioning and awareness are one of his strengths, but we left it too late.

It was also a mistake to come out so deep at the start of the second half and try time-wasting from 45 minutes onwards. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought we clearly came on with the gameplan of hanging on for the second half, we were so deep. We aren't good enough to do that! Fergusons switch to 4-2-3-1 completely outsmarted us: our formation in response was bizarre, shuffling Sheff out wide (where he seemed to be under instructions to stay on the half-way line and play hollywood passes..) and leaving the middle of the park to Posh, which possibly sucked Gael even further inside. We were back to the old problems of early season, with Gael and Sammy trying to play in the same deep, central role. And we didn't start attacking and looking for the 3rd goal until we were level. Very naive of us.

And it was possibly a mistake bringing Platt on-or at least then making him the sole focus of every single attack when we did, and in the air, not to his chest. It was agricultural football at its worst, and not "how we play". When the opposition have 2 6ft+ beasts at CB, the answer to being out-muscled is not to bring on a big man and go long-it's to attack them on the deck with pace. Platt was meat and drink to them.

AFCCOVENTRY

Disappointing result for me.

Puts a heck of a lot of pressure on us at Bristol now and it will be a full gate there.

Nonleagueherewecome

......and if Forest lose to Brizzle???? Doesn't bear thinking about!

I'm a miserable bastard, me. As 'Boro prepared to take the corner from which they scored, I turned to my mates and said, "so if we draw today and Bristol win, we go into the relegation zone today.."

I got punched a few times when the goal went in, served me right.

Nonleagueherewecome

What are you saying ............ your not allowed to blame Thorn on here.

Go find another forum

And I'm Thorn Fan Number 1, but he got it wrong today. I think his "I've set the boys the target of going unbeaten for the rest of this season" statement last week also indicates that he got a bit caught up in the hype of thinking we've cracked it, and that may have filtered down to the players when they needed their feet keeping on the ground.

Astute

What are you saying ............ your not allowed to blame Thorn on here.

Go find another forum

Cody hit the woodwork twice. If one of them efforts would have been a few inches closer.....

I agree. All the fault of AT as he wanted him at the club. There is a fine line between winning and losing. We are now 7 games undefeated. Calm down. Long way to go still. Still prefer our run in to Brizzles. They will be a much easier game than the one we had today, and they don't have a game where you think they will win.

Nonleagueherewecome

Cody hit the woodwork twice. If one of them efforts would have been a few inches closer.....

I agree. All the fault of AT as he wanted him at the club. There is a fine line between winning and losing. We are now 7 games undefeated. Calm down. Long way to go still. Still prefer our run in to Brizzles. They will be a much easier game than the one we had today, and they don't have a game where you think they will win.

TBF Astute, it's me bashing AT this week. We shouldn't have been relying on a late offensive, we shouldn't have come out second half looking to hang on and sit deep...

Astute

P'boro are not a bad team. They score lots of goals. Should we have gone forward and risk losing? Sinclair is a good striker. Look at his first goal. He is not their top striker either. We had plenty of chances in the second half. Not as though we were outplayed in the second half.

A win would have been great. A draw is not a disaster. A loss would have been.

torchomatic

Yes, we wanted a win today, but a draw isn't a disaster by any means. Seven games unbeaten, playing well, hitting the woodwork four times, not sure what people expect from our team. Obviously for some a draw is the new loss. Must moan at something, eh?

sw88

Chief Commentator!
2 points thrown away or 1 point gained? 2 points lost I'd say. Once we managed to get hold of the game, I thought we controlled play, at least until we changed our shape in the second half. Why did we go with Nimely behind McDonald? Nimely didn't look happy in that position. Bigi also off the boil, knowing what he was supposed to be doing (again after we changed our shape).

Cody was unlucky not to get more than one. Platt didn't get a look in thanks to the ref!

And how about that lino! How over weight was he? Anyone else reckon Posh's number 8 was the love child of that Lino?

Could have done with those extra 2 points going j to Mondays game, but I'll take the one over nothing!

scroobiustom

1 point is still important, Monday's game was always a must win and if nothing else, the result today will have wormed out any complacently among players and fans alike who thought we were safe!

Game on!

SkyBlue_Bear83

Oh and how about the vision Norwood has when playing long passes?? Superb!

Anyone else think it looks like he and Clarke have played together forever? Some of their link up play was awesome!
Yea was saying in another thread, the ball from Norwood to Clarke is becoming a real weapon for us.

Nonleagueherewecome

1 point is still important, Monday's game was always a must win and if nothing else, the result today will have wormed out any complacently among players and fans alike who thought we were safe!

Game on!

But the game at Bristol WOULDN'T have been must-win if we'd won today..we'd have been 4 points ahead going into it! That's why it was 2 points dropped, 2 massive, relegation-causing points IMO!

And all the Norwood worship..nobody saw that ball to Clarke that he spooned about 15 yards behind him and out of play, then? :eek:

SkyBlue_Bear83

But the game at Bristol WOULDN'T have been must-win if we'd won today..we'd have been 4 points ahead going into it! That's why it was 2 points dropped, 2 massive, relegation-causing points IMO!

And all the Norwood worship..nobody saw that ball to Clarke that he spooned about 15 yards behind him and out of play, then? :eek:
Yea that was a bad pass, the two he made though were brilliant. Nobody in our squad could have made them passes imo

Macca

I
You hit the nail on the head mate. I m not blaming anyone, I m happy with our form and we were unlucky. I m not even moaning I m just really disappointed at the end result and missing out on being in a great position. It's a measure of how far we have come that we are disappointed

Nonleagueherewecome

I
You hit the nail on the head mate. I m not blaming anyone, I m happy with our form and we were unlucky. I m not even moaning I m just really disappointed at the end result and missing out on being in a great position. It's a measure of how far we have come that we are disappointed

Agreed with that. I'm not moaning either, just feel like people are a bit too desperate for everything to just be OK, whilst meanwhile in the real world, things are actually getting too close for comfort. And that's why I'm bugged at the defensive shape at 2-1 up..slipping back into bad habits.

We kinda shot ourselves in the foot..we know a 1 goal lead for us is never enough, especially the way we defend set-pieces! Boyd could have had a cigar on and his eyes closed 2nd half and still wandered into 10 yards of space in the inside-left channel every time.

Nonleagueherewecome

And the moment Deegan came on, that gap was shut instantly. It was so obvious that move needed making 20-30 minutes earlier than it was.

Grendel

And the moment Deegan came on, that gap was shut instantly. It was so obvious that move needed making 20-30 minutes earlier than it was.

Yes he should. Bigiamara is just not physical enough. It's a poor result when you take account of bristols result and also the way we played. After the first 20 minutes we largely controlled the game and I thought look safe second half. Second goal was really poor and was more lime the defending we saw pre christmas. Bristol would have been the team under real pressure on Monday and now it's us.

ohitsaidwalker king power

You're like my old headmaster... only ever there when I screwed up... never saw all the good stuff I did... I think in all of Norwood's games today's misplaced pass.. the one you reference has been his only error ... come on mate... give the kid a break.. he's breathed life into us for sure.. and given us a glimmer of survival hope despite today's disappointment.

stupot07

You're like my old headmaster... only ever there when I screwed up... never saw all the good stuff I did... I think in all of Norwood's games today's misplaced pass.. the one you reference has been his only error ... come on mate... give the kid a break.. he's breathed life into us for sure.. and given us a glimmer of survival hope despite today's disappointment.

His two balls to Clarke were class, however he lacking at times defensively in the second half.

jabharty

So, Relegation zone again...
Even so, it was a thoroughly enjoyable game to watch, and we easily could have won it. Any one else a bit pissed off at the ref for the last minute chance? I don't know who it was, but he smashed the ball onto the crossbar, and the ref blew for full time, when the ball came back into play!!
Meh, life is unfair, I spose.
And another thing, the old saying is true. Never trust any team to do you a favour. Thanks Forest! -_-

Posh George

My Posh view.
We stole a point.
Our first goal, wow - where did that come from?
Equaliser - deserved, but poor marking by our skipper.
Your penalty - nailed on. Tomlin was useless today.
Our equaliser - against the run of play, but neat finish.
We should have had a nailed on penalty for handball with 5 mins to go, but you hit the woodwork enough times to cancel that out.
Your stewards are fantastic - we had a lad on crutches with us today and they couldn't do enough to help us park close to the ground, get him sat down easily, and generally looked after.
Your support was also immense - the lads in the East stand never stopped singing.
Hope you do Bristol on Monday, looking forward to coming back to the Ricoh next season.

torchomatic

George, I agree. I'm in the opposite end to you and Sinclair's goal was bloody brilliant. I was convinced it was going over and couldn't believe it when I saw it go in. We really needed the win but a draw was a fair result. Peterborough are a decent team.

torchomatic

And the linesmen swapped sides too. Do they always do that in the second half. He was pretty useless to be honest and was three yards behind the pace most of the time.

Users who are viewing this thread