Coventry v Posh matchday thread (1 Viewer)

AFCCOVENTRY

Team news for the Championship clash between Coventry and Peterborough at the Ricoh Arena on Saturday.

Relegation-threatened Coventry hope to have David Bell available for the visit of Peterborough as they look to continue their climb away from danger.

The midfielder has missed the Sky Blues' last six games with a groin injury but has returned to full training and is battling to be involved at the Ricoh Arena.

Manager Andy Thorn could well keep faith with the same XI who clinched last weekend's 2-0 victory at Hull - City's first away win of the season which lifted them out of the bottom three for the first time since October.

Cody McDonald stepped off the bench to make sure of victory in the closing stages, however, and he will be pushing for a starting berth in attack as Coventry look to extend their unbeaten run to seven games.

The Sky Blues have this week suffered a blow with the news defender Nathan Cameron requires a knee operation while long-term absentee Richard Wood has also had to undergo surgery on his troublesome knee, ruling the pair out for the rest of the season.

Carl Baker (hamstring) and Hermann Hreidarsson (shoulder) are already sidelined for a similar period.

Gaby Zakuani and George Boyd are expected to be fit for Peterborough's trip to Coventry.

Zakuani missed the 1-0 home win over Leicester last weekend because of the back injury that forced him off during the defeat to West Ham at London Road. The defender will go straight back into the starting XI if he is deemed fit.

Boyd, who rejected the club's offer of a new contract this week, came off late on against Leicester with a dead leg. The winger will also be restored to the side should he recover sufficiently.

Striker Tyrone Barnett has received extensive treatment on the thigh muscle problem that forced him off against the Foxes and he has not yet been ruled out.

AFCCOVENTRY

From the Posh forum:

I've been looking forward to this for some time, surely now we are undoubtedly safe in everybody's minds, the free flowing football that we have hinted at all season will return, with nobody looking over their shoulder nervously at the fact that a mistake could mean relegation.
Those in the know will probably be aware as to whether Zak will return to the starting formation, although apparently the five incumbents, who after all kept a clean sheet between them, may not be so keen to see the mighty centre back return.
There were calls last week after Taylor's refusal to sign a new contract to be dropped, will people be so voiciferous about George's apparent want away mentality, I think not.
Surely the captain can be safely rested as the manager starts to look forward to next season, bringing in the likes of Joe Newell, Danny Kearns, or one of the untried Yoofs.

My plan for the day involves 3 Wetherspoons http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Cov ... s&t=h&z=16 hopefully a mile and half walk from the station to the third will increase my thirst.

http://www.theposhforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21024

AFCCOVENTRY

Oliver Norwood ‏ @ONorwood Close
Massive game 2day Another massive performance needed from the lads and fans! 3 points would put us in great position! #pusb #ccfc #stayingup

Come on Norwoody!!! Top bloke :guitar2::guitar2:

AFCCOVENTRY

Jordan Clarke still in bed playing PS3!! :(

Jordan Clarke ‏ @JordanClarke17 Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Morning , up but not out of bed yet, myt hit FIFA for a bit ?!

Nonleagueherewecome

Tsk, tweeting before they're even out of bed in the morning, kids today, eh?

Sumo the Micky Quinn

Max Rusden on Soccer AM when reading out todays fixtures said "Peterborough shouldn't even turn up, as Coventry will annihilate them."

Dose he hate Peterborough, or is there another reason for his comment?

kg82

Max Rusden on Soccer AM when reading out todays fixtures said "Peterborough shouldn't even turn up, as Coventry will annihilate them."

Dose he hate Peterborough, or is there another reason for his comment?

He's a Cambridge fan so yeah, he hates peterborough!

Ashdown

I just hope we don't play that gutless git Bell, we've been doing okay in his absence thanks!!

Astute

<p></p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>

See if you say that when he hit a 30yd wonder goal
He don't do tap ins

Would prefer 6 tap ins a season to one 30 yarder. They are all worth 1 goal each

ExmouthNeil

I'm startin to feel a little tense......

Just gonna go and set up an account on the SkyBlue player thing, couldn't stand not hearing it!!!

Come on boys.......PUSB

WillieStanley

I've been called in as last minute cover at work!!! Possibly the biggest home game of the season and the only one I'll miss!! Cheers life!!:eek:

Nonleagueherewecome

I'm still terrified we'll blow it. I never seem to have England win at cricket and City win at football on the same day, that's another bad omen :(

Grendel

I'd be surprised if we lose today. Peterborough have little to play for. It may end up a draw but that's not too bad. After Monday the next 3 games are as good as it gets including burnley who look like they have given up on the season already.

pw362

I'd be surprised if we lose today. Peterborough have little to play for. It may end up a draw but that's not too bad. After Monday the next 3 games are as good as it gets including burnley who look like they have given up on the season already.
Burnley given up? Beat pompey 5-1 away last week!

AFCCOVENTRY

SKY Blues boss Andy Thorn makes one change to the side which clinched their first away win of the season at Hull last week.

Cody McDonald came off the bench to score the second in the 2-0 win over the Tigers and he is rewarded with a starting place.

Clive Platt starts the match on the bench with Alex Nimely partnering the former Norwich City man up front.

Gael Bigirimana keeps his place after an impressive performance at the KC Stadium with Oliver Norwood, Sammy Clingan and Gary McSheffrey making up the midfield.

Richard Keogh and Martin Cranie continue their partnership at the back with Chris Hussey on the left and Jordan Clarke on the right.

Coventry City: Murphy, Keogh, Hussey, Cranie, Clarke, McSheffrey, Clingan (c), Norwood, Bigirimana, Nimely, McDonald
Subs: Dunn (GK), Deegan, Platt, Christie, Willis

Peterborough United: Jones, Zakuani, Tomlin, Boyd, McCann (c), Sinclair, Rowe, Brisley, Frecklington, Taylor, Alcock
Subs: Lewis (GK), Little, Ball, Newell, Kearns

Referee: D McDermid
Assistants: A Hutchinson, M Jones
Fourth Official: I Rathbone

CovLis86

Thats the lineup I was hoping for. Sorry but im glad to see no Bell. Cannot believe we've given him a new contract at all. He seems like the one player at the club who doesnt have the fight. Would like to see him gone, he hasnt got the quality or work ethic at all.

Proper nervous now. Really could do with the 3 points today boys.

Users who are viewing this thread